GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new to me 2017 Chevy volt with 80K miles. The car seems to drive just fine.
The battery gas guage (guess-o-meter/GOM?) says 39 miles of electric range when fully charged. I thought the expected value was closer to 53 (when new). Does this low of a value indicate the battery may be near end of life?
Should I be concerned?
Is there something I should look into or test?
Plant Speedometer Gauge Mode of transport Trip computer

·
Registered
2013 Chevrolet Volt Premium
87 Posts
I just got a new to me 2017 Chevy volt with 80K miles. The car seems to drive just fine.
The battery gas guage (guess-o-meter/GOM?) says 39 miles of electric range when fully charged. I thought the expected value was closer to 53 (when new). Does this low of a value indicate the battery may be near end of life?
Should I be concerned?
Is there something I should look into or test? View attachment 174424
The guess-o-meter is dependent on driving style. After your first few trips from full to empty check the kwh used in the center screen. It should be close to 14kw, if so then it is just because the previous driver was a maniac and the profile will update. If it wasn't the driver, it could be something like a wheel bearing or sticking brake caliper or something like that. Give it a few drive cycles and report what you're seeing.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The guess-o-meter is dependent on driving style. After your first few trips from full to empty check the kwh used in the center screen. It should be close to 14kw, if so then it is just because the previous driver was a maniac and the profile will update.
My wife driving the Volt: 40-45 miles on the GOM. Me driving the Volt: 55-60 miles on the GOM... same car.

Cruise at 75mph on the freeway and 40 miles or less electric range is normal... Average 30mph in smooth flowing traffic and 60-65 is normal.

-Charlie

Reactions: DeanRHolden

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 100k+ Miles
1,068 Posts
What matters is the kWh used. Electricity use, like gasoline consumption, will vary with the conditions. Look at the kWr used at a fully depleted state on the energy display in the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help!
Got 51 miles after using 13.9kwh.
Odometer said 55, so I'm guessing that last little bit was on the gas range extender.
I guess I'm not the most extreme maniac on the road!
Gadget Vehicle Audio equipment Car Personal luxury car

·
Registered
2017 LT
140 Posts
I drive mostly on the freeway. One time, due to traffic, I had to take side streets home. The GOM actually added miles to my range on the way home!
The GOM IS entertaining. It"s pretty good once you get the hang of it. Much better than a state-of-discharge style of meterology.
i

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just got mine to its highest...generally I avg probably 53 miles but 70 is my best..all depends how you drive I noticed when i drive 50 and below....its at its peak...and ya still waiting...:)
Plant Vehicle Speedometer Car Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2013 Chevrolet Volt Premium
87 Posts
Thanks for all the help!
Odometer said 55, so I'm guessing that last little bit was on the gas range extender.
View attachment 174426
Usage is close to 14kwh so you're all good to go and the range will increase as you drive :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Thanks for all the help!
View attachment 174426
Right on the money. Everything looks good. Note that in warmer weather you will get more miles of range than in colder weather. When I had my Volt, I averaged around 62 miles in the summer and closer to 40 in the winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in San Jose, CA so rarely experience really cold weather. My charge is seldom less then 65 range indicated. I make one or two 360 mile round trips a month,rest is local and sometimes one or two electric charges between trips. I am convinced that a lot of the higher miles usable is related to the type/brand of charger used. I am extremely happy with my Zen Car/Megear Level 1/2 EV and charge at 16 amps. Usually charge from about 10M to 60M in less then 4 hours. Maybe I'm lucky, but again that is my experience for the last year and a half ........ Dick in San Jose

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your mileage will also be affected by where you how your climate control is set and ambient conditions. I have gotten 44 miles of driving out of my 2014 @10.2 KWH used. 2/3 of that was freeway driving varying between 55 and 70 climate on fan only.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Maybe I'm lucky, but again that is my experience for the last year and a half
Not lucky, just ideal conditions for a electric vehicle. Mild weather + local driving = long range.

The charger to the battery is the same not matter the source - the charger is in the car, not the EVSE...

-Charlie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Not lucky, just ideal conditions for a electric vehicle. Mild weather + local driving = long range.

The charger to the battery is the same not matter the source - the charger is in the car, not the EVSE...

-Charlie
Going a little off topic, but, yes. The EVSE does little more than agree a car is plugged in, communicate the maximum power available and close a relay to the outlet, when the car agrees it's also ready. All done via resistors relays, and a PWM signal. Only reason it's not done solely via discrete logic/analog components is because microcontrollers are mind-blowingly cheap.
At that point, your car is essentially plugged into the wall just like any other appliance. The EVSE is there for safety, over current, ground faults, and to keep the J1772 pins at safe touch voltages.
The, aptly named, on board charger handles converting the AC to DC conversion that the BMS is willing to accept.

The lions share of the cost is the certification, inspection, auditing, and insurance if it causes a fire or death, and the cost of the EV cable and connector. The 25' of 16A cable and the EV handle are roughly $100 on their own, direct from Chinese manufacturers, at quantity.

Zen Car makes a good product. OpenEVSE is pretty solid. The design and QC seems decent. The product support, meh. But, overall they seem just as good as the sky high priced clipper creek, charge point, juicebox, etc. products, as far as I can tell.
But, it's not UL, ETL, FCC, or CE certified, so, if Zen Car's QC fails, or just dumb luck, and the charger burns down your house, electrocutes someone, etc. there's a liability risk that I'm not qualified to answer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been getting pretty consistent to around 14KWh out of the battery and the GoM has been slowly increasing in range.
Looks like this used Volt is still running strong.
The battery doesn't noticably self discharge if it's left sitting unplugged over a hot or cold weekend.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I live in San Jose, CA so rarely experience really cold weather. My charge is seldom less then 65 range indicated. I make one or two 360 mile round trips a month,rest is local and sometimes one or two electric charges between trips. I am convinced that a lot of the higher miles usable is related to the type/brand of charger used. I am extremely happy with my Zen Car/Megear Level 1/2 EV and charge at 16 amps. Usually charge from about 10M to 60M in less then 4 hours. Maybe I'm lucky, but again that is my experience for the last year and a half ........ Dick in San Jose
I live in San Jose too! But i average probably 54 miles on a full charge electric.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts