GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last July my cruise control did the no reengage bit where pulling up on the brake pedal would allow me to reengage. Last weekend it repeated this so I made an appointment to have it looked at this morning. Both times the driving environment was wet (rain & melting snow). Of course it wouldn't do it today (nor has it done it since I made the appointment).

For those of you who have this same intermittent issue with your Volt, GM has a solution. TSB 16-NA-147 instructs service department instructions to measure the play in the brake pedal and replace the Brake Pedal Push Rod Retainer if there's excessive play in the pedal.

Part: 39081933 SL-N-RETAINER (04634-BC)
1/2 hour labor

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So we've had several days of rain & snow and my cruise control engagement issue returned. I called Ed Bozarth Lone Tree yesterday and they were able to get me in. I was able to demonstrate the issue to one of the service advisors but their Volt tech, who is really good, wasn't available to see the issue.

Today I got my car back - fixed I hope. Here's what's on the service ticket:

• No DTCs set.
  • Cruise control switch operational
  • ECM/BCM software good
  • Brake Pedal Position sensor reporting brake pedal depressed 7%.

Apparently my car's brake pedal position sensor had an internal short whenever it got soaked by road spray. At 7% I'm guessing that not only was my cruise control not engaging but my brake lights were on.

The tech replaced this sensor and retested.

The ironic thing is that while I checking in my car yesterday another car was being returned and I overheard part of the repair - replacement of the brake pedal position sensor.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks for the tsb#. I recently had to drive a 800 mile road trip with a bungee cord holding up the brake pedal so I could use cruise. Of course it worked fine the day after I got home.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tsb#. I recently had to drive a 800 mile road trip with a bungee cord holding up the brake pedal so I could use cruise. Of course it worked fine the day after I got home.
The TSB is to replace the Brake Pedal Rod Retention Clip. Apparently this clip has been redesigned to prevent rod slippage and that needs to be done before the brake pedal position sensor is looked at.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had mine in right before the B2B warranty wore out. I told him what it was gave them the TSB and the paper and they replace the cruise control switch still doing it not as bad now. But if there’s any side to side pedal movement it kicks off the cruise for a while until it can reset or until you pull up on the pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just had this problem last night and guess I'll be going in for this TSB. Will update is it fixes it. But it was raining and the cruise would not engage unless I held my foot under the brake pedal and lifted it. Once I let go the cruise would cancel.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just had this problem last night and guess I'll be going in for this TSB. Will update is it fixes it. But it was raining and the cruise would not engage unless I held my foot under the brake pedal and lifted it. Once I let go the cruise would cancel.
Have the service department use a garden hose to spray the area where the brake pedal comes through the firewall or they won't be able to duplicate the issue.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the water idea. Now that I think about it, the last failure I had was after driving the rain for a few days.
Mine would only fail in this scenerio, which is why I jumped on it when it failed again this past Friday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use cruise control daily and had this problem on my recently acquired 2017 Volt. Issue appears intermittently when you used the brake pedal slowly and partially. I was able to work around it this way:
Anytime you are at a full stop, press the brake pedal down to its full extent. Release quickly when starting up and the issue is fixed. I worked this way for 3 months but while at the dealer (Folsom, CA) for a recall fix in July I had them perform the TSB 16-NA-147 for $160, and glad I did. Issue has not returned (2,000 miles so far...).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had this issue starting on my drive home from picking up the CPO last month on my 2017. Thanks for sharing the TSB! I'll reference it when I take the car to get it fixed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts