GM Volt Forum banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Update 8/14/18 GM sent a engineer out for the last repair done to my vehicle. The technician and engineer test drove the vehicle and were not able to duplicate my cruise control problems. They installed 39081933: SL-N-Retainer (04634-BC) performed #16-NA-147 and installed foam spacer behind the new retainer to take up possible brake pedal slack. Relearned brake pedal position in ECM and BCM. I have not had any problems since they did this repair.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update today, 12/19/18. In June, the tech installed a shim which he said should fix it. It's worked fine up until Friday, 12/14/18. Same issue, cc won't engage/resume after braking. I can make it work by lifting up under the brake pedal (without needing to hold it up). I tried something else - when I brake and slide my foot sideways off the pedal to make it snap back up, cc works. Going to call the dealer again. This is the second six month span that a dealer fix worked.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Sorry to see all these issues continuing with this problem. I have NO idea why, but this is one issue that "fixed itself" on my 2017. I even scheduled a repair for it but decided not to mess with it since it's been fine--figure only the dealer could mess it up now.

I did some rather aggressive braking and then lifting up the pedal several times in a row. Maybe my sensor was not nearly as out-of-compliance as what you're experiencing

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine was fixed on the first try by replacing both the retainer and pedal position sensor. I see a lot of people have had the retainer replaced repeatedly and the sensor recalibrated and the problem has come back. I'd push for a replacement of the sensor.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
N8XWB, turboguy327 - Ouch, crazy to assume someone doesn't know how to work cruise control.

No this is not user error. Whether you hit resume or set, it will not do it. It has been to the dealership 4 times now for this issue. They say that my car has a unique issue, I decided to ask you guys simply because I didn't know if this is something that these cars do and maybe neither myself or technicians working on it know about it because these cars are different. If you hold the brake pedal up the cruise control will set and stay on up until the moment you lower your foot.

Not so crazy. I'm in a different repair business, but pilot error is more common than you might expect. It appears that you may have isolated the problem to a switching issue at the brake pedal. Sounds like you have to carefully explain this to the dealer to point them in the right direction. Sometimes people don't listen too carefully.

OK down at the end of the thread, it sounds like they have the general idea of what happening, but maybe not why. Electrical intermittent, mechanical hysteresis, software...

·
Registered
294 Posts
The never seen it before is just BS. Our 17 has the same issue and so have many others. The fact that a tsb exists for,the issue shows that gm is aware. The problem is that it can show up on one trip and then the next day works fine. It will continue to work fine for months then show up again. It clearly is an issue with the brake pedal switch which causes the computer to think the brake is slightly engaged. This prevents the cruise from engaging.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a "unable to set cruise" issue with my 2017 a few months after I got it. Dealer replaced the brake peddle switch and that solved the issues. After knowing what was causing it I could make the cruise work again by pulling the brake peddle towards me. So for a week while they where waiting for the parts to be delivered I would cruise down the freeway with my foot on the wrong side of the peddle... not very safe.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a 2017 and last night driving home from the airport the message "Adaptive Cruise Control Not available" kept showing up and I could not get cruise control to engage. I do have ACC. I didn't try the "lift up the brake pedal" trick.

Does this sound like the same problem, or does the "Adaptive Cruise Control Not available" message suggest something different? The car was sitting at the airport near the ocean for about a week, so perhaps the radar has some salt crud on it?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Update: I washed the car and did a longish (40 mile) drive and the problem didn't recurr. So maybe it was Salt on the Radar? Sounds like a drink you'd get in the navy :)

101 - 109 of 109 Posts