GM Volt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
As I said, the problem is intermittent. They test drove it and it worked fine, as it does for me, most of the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got my car back yesterday after my dealership performed the fix, which required at least 1 part to arrive, so I spent the last 2 weeks without cruise control. It has been working properly for me yesterday and today but I will certainly let you all know if it starts acting up again.

Interestingly my dealer's service department talked to at least 2 different people at GM while figuring out the fix. One of them was described as "the engineer," so I can only assume "the other" person wasn't an engineer. The service department told me that the other person claimed this was a very rare occurrence, but the engineer said otherwise. The tech I was working with (just one of at least 4 at my dealership) has already seen 2 other brand new volts come in with this problem in the past month.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am on trip 3 trying to fix this issue. Sensor, clips , and now more clips..
They swapped out more/different clips last week thursday. so far so good.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My "retainer" part came in, scheduled for the install tomorrow. Crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
321 Posts
"Retainer" part didn't work, they are going to escalate to the east coast tech suppport tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This seems more common than should be expected. Can someone more tech savvy than me make a poll on this? I wonder how many members have had this problem?

·
Registered
321 Posts
This seems more common than should be expected. Can someone more tech savvy than me make a poll on this? I wonder how many members have had this problem?
What doesn't seem to be common is getting the problem fixed. So far I think I've heard of 3 GM buy backs. Not encouraging.

·
Registered
321 Posts
So after the "RETAINER" fix, I picked up the car and my first test driving home, it failed. Tried a few times, same problem, only worked when pulling up on the brake pedal.

Took it right back. It sat there 2 nights and they test drove it and couldn't reproduce the problem. I picked it up and it worked fine driving home.

At best it is fixed, at worst, it is now intermittent, but I don't know what could have changed between me bringing it back to them and their test drives.

Just going to cross my fingers and drive on.

·
Registered
802 Posts
My dealer will be replacing my brake switch next week. I don't have high hopes it will work. I'm hoping that GM engineers communicate with service departments as well or better than we do here. Just in case, I forwarded a link to this thread to my dealer.

Meanwhile, in my head, I can't stop speculating what the problem could be. It seems like the brake pedal begins to "sag" and causes the problem. What keeps the pedal up? Is it a spring or brake fluid pressure? If it's pressure, maybe a defective pump is not keeping the proper pressure?

·
Registered
49 Posts
My adaptive cruise control is starting to go again. I have had it in four times. The last time, GM sent "the engineer" to look at it himself. Unfortunately, it was working fine at that time. I think someone in my family had stomped on the brake pedal before my appointment which seems to reset it for a short period of time. It has gone from me initially having to drive with my foot under the pedal to now with their latest fix having to gently lift up on the left side of the pedal to get it working again.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Could anyone with a 2017 Volt LT run a simple test for me? My car has been in the shop non-stop thanks to a braking issue. The car was returned to me today, only to be taken back immediately. When I first put on the cruise control at 65 mph it worked, i tapped the brake for incoming traffic, and when I hit set again it wouldn't turn back on. I waited until no one was behind me and hit the brake harder than usual, then hit set and suddenly it worked again. I repeated all these steps 3 times on the way back to the dealership, all results the same.

Does anyone else's Volt do this? Oh, when its in the "won't set the cruise control mode" it takes more gas to get it moving and it slows down faster anytime I let off the gas. All driving was done in D. Thanks in advance.
My year old 2017 has an issue with cruise, but not exactly what you have............

If I am going down the road at 35 mph and with the Cruise Control turned on, I press SET and it Sets at 35 mph. Now I drive into a higher speed zone, 55 mph and press set, it won't take the new speed and coasts down to 35 mph. Hitting the brake will knock the cruise off but when I press SET at 55 mph, it goes back to 35 mph. I have to turn off the CC and turn it back on before it will accept the 55 mph SET.

Now at 35mph setting, I can use the (+) and (-) to raise and lower speed 1 mph at a time which I believe is normal. But it should accept a SET command at 55, especially after the CC had been tripped with the brake but it remembers the lower speed.

I am dreading taking it in to the STEALERSHIP because all they tell me is the strange operations I turn in are normal..........

What do you think?

·
Registered
158 Posts
press "+" a little longer (hold the button down) and it goes 5 at a time (pretty fast).

Others have not understood the hold down part, and complained in previous threads about run away high set speeds, so you are part way there by understanding the brief press gives +1, now add the long press to get to the desired speed much more quickly.

manual, page 194
+RES : If there is a set speed in
memory, press briefly to resume that
speed or press and hold to
accelerate. If cruise control is
already active, use to increase
vehicle speed.

Also, read the friendly manual (RTFM) :)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Today I learned, if I hold down the +RES button I can increase in 5 mph increments. I assume this also holds for the "-" button as well? Gonna try this tomorrow. Thank you for mentioning this, Random! I glossed over that "hold to accelerate" portion. They should've just stuck a "+5 mph" instead of more words. Too many words. *GRUNTS*

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
Today I learned, if I hold down the +RES button I can increase in 5 mph increments. I assume this also holds for the "-" button as well? Gonna try this tomorrow. Thank you for mentioning this, Random! I glossed over that "hold to accelerate" portion. They should've just stuck a "+5 mph" instead of more words. Too many words. *GRUNTS*
Yes minus does the same thing, though once it starts, it's easy to overshoot where you wanted to land. I like the preciseness of the cruise. I can click up 5 times and know that it will increase 5 mph (usually). Gen 1st have a bug that sometimes it jumps from 69 to 71 to 69 until I hit cancel, set then I can go from 69 to 70. This problem stems from the fact that it sets your starting speed in KM then converts. So there are times it rounds up and down...at least that's what we suspect.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2017 does the same thing. Started at 300 miles. Cruise wouldnt set at all. Drove about two thousand miles of no CC before accidentally stumbling upon brake pedal as source of issue. Tapped the brake pedal up/left/right for about 4000 miles worth of driving. Then it started working on its own and havent had any trouble since. Currently have 7600 miles on ODO.

·
Registered
926 Posts
So I tried out the +/- 5mph thing and even holding down for 7 seconds (ran out of road, counted using the "one Mississippi" method) nothing changed. It simply stayed at the cruise setting I set (now +1 mph). I have tried this at 25 to 55 mph so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I can confirm cruise is set since the speedometer icon becomes green indicating cruise is maintaining speed.

My exact actions (regardless of 25 or 55 and increasing or decreasing speed) are:

1. Set speed (confirm green speedometer icon)
2. Press "+RES" button and hold for 5+ seconds.
3. Release "+RES" button.
4. Observe only a +1 mph change on DIC (both on speedometer and DIC informing new cruise speed is +1 from before).

I'm clearly doing something wrong, but cannot seem to see where what I did above differs from the manual (pg 194):
+RES : If there is a set speed in
memory, press briefly to resume that
speed or press and hold to
accelerate. If cruise control is
already active, use to increase
vehicle speed.
−SET : Press briefly to set the
speed and activate cruise control.
If cruise control is already active,
use to decrease vehicle speed.
Anyone mind pointing out what I'm missing or doing wrong?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Anyone mind pointing out what I'm missing or doing wrong?
Why go to all this trouble? I only use single presses on either + or -. If I want to go more than +/- 5, I press the cancel button, then hit set when I'm going the new speed I want.

I'm too impatient to hold a button down for 5 seconds or more. Plus it hurts my finger.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Why go to all this trouble? I only use single presses on either + or -. If I want to go more than +/- 5, I press the cancel button, then hit set when I'm going the new speed I want.

I'm too impatient to hold a button down for 5 seconds or more. Plus it hurts my finger.
No offense to others, but I was hoping everyone counted the 5 seconds wrong and it was really more like 2 or 3 seconds. If it was, I'd see myself using it to accelerate. I have a twitchy leg and have been described as a "digital accelerator" by a coworker. I find I can accelerate more smoothly if cruise control, say when I was cruising at 50mph but eventually hit a stop light and rather than accelerating less smoothly, if I accelerate to 24 then hit "+RES", my Volt accelerates quite smoothly up to 50mph.

You're dead-on about the hurt-finger-part. I tried again and this time I really mashed my finger into the button. Weird thing is, I still didn't get the +5mph. What I did get was a steady increase by +1 every 1/2 Mississippi (~1/2 sec). This also applied when slowing down with "-SET". This behavior I do not like. Odd why i can't reproduce the +/- 5mph. Makes me wonder if my Volt is special, just like it's afterfire symptom that a few other Volt members have experienced.

I'm going to stick to my button-mashing of +/- to get the speed I want.

41 - 60 of 109 Posts