GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The dealer called about an hour ago. The tech working on my car stated that on the forums he checks that some people are having a problem with a clicking noise on there brake pedal (mine isn't doing that, but it makes him think that some brake pedals are bad?). He drove the car with a reader attached and said that the car thought the brake was applied even when it wasn't pressed.

He ordered a new brake pedal and an engineer might be coming out from GM, and he couldn't give me a time frame of when it would be fixed. They have replaced a brake switch twice as well as some wire connecting to the ECM over the last 2 weeks.

I bought the car 2 weeks ago today, have had the car for not even 3 of those days, and the service department has driven my car much more than I have. Sucks. I can't wait to drive one of these beautiful machines and use mostly electric for my work commutes, but I just seem to be having a bit of bad luck.

·
Registered
926 Posts
sometimes...getting [my great pyrenees] home means driving really slow with a leash out the driver's side window as he is too big to be in the hatch.
That is quite the mental picture. Neat trick with the cellphone and GPS, though. Perfect for that size of dog.

Joiner, the only break-pedal sound issue I have is occasional squeaking like some lubrication is needed. It's very infrequent and doesn't really bother me. Certainly nothing like the click your tech mentioned. Glad to hear a GM engineer might be making a site visit. Maybe you can ask to meet with the engineer and let flow all your concerns.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Joiner, the only break-pedal sound issue I have is occasional squeaking like some lubrication is needed. It's very infrequent and doesn't really bother me. Certainly nothing like the click your tech mentioned. Glad to hear a GM engineer might be making a site visit. Maybe you can ask to meet with the engineer and let flow all your concerns.
I really like that idea, I will definitely ask to meet him/her if they let me know in advance.

My saleswoman messaged me and told me that there's a meeting between the GM, Service manager, and herself on Wednesday morning regarding my car and will call me after its over. I hope I receive some good news.

·
Registered
13,943 Posts
That is quite the mental picture. Neat trick with the cellphone and GPS, though. Perfect for that size of dog.

I didn't duct tape a cell phone to his collar, but there's a company named Whistle that makes this device (a previously known as Tagg). Check it out.

·
Registered
13,943 Posts
The dealer called about an hour ago. The tech working on my car stated that on the forums he checks that some people are having a problem with a clicking noise on there brake pedal (mine isn't doing that, but it makes him think that some brake pedals are bad?). He drove the car with a reader attached and said that the car thought the brake was applied even when it wasn't pressed.

He ordered a new brake pedal and an engineer might be coming out from GM, and he couldn't give me a time frame of when it would be fixed. They have replaced a brake switch twice as well as some wire connecting to the ECM over the last 2 weeks.

I bought the car 2 weeks ago today, have had the car for not even 3 of those days, and the service department has driven my car much more than I have. Sucks. I can't wait to drive one of these beautiful machines and use mostly electric for my work commutes, but I just seem to be having a bit of bad luck.
I smell a lemon law return in the making.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The conclusion

Hey guys just wanted to let you know that the car seems to be fixed and everything is awesome.

SUPER LONG STORY SHORT, after being in the shop for something like 15 days immediately after I bought it, a GM engineer came out and took a look. Apparently, when a new brake sensor is installed it needs to be pre-loaded. All the documents that the techs at the dealership had on the Volt stated the opposite, which is why my car kept having so many issues.

I'm so happy to finally be able to enjoy my new car, here's to no more issues the rest of this cars life!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am having this same issue as is another person on a different thread. I'll find the link. My car was in the shop for five days while they scratched their heads. 2017 Premier with ACC and a loose brake pedal. I can actually use the adaptive cruise control if I wedge my foot up under the brake pedal and press the set button. Everything works fine until I remove my foot, the car quickly decelerates, and ACC deactivates with the message, "Adaptive cruise temporarily unavailable". I have also noticed the when the engine comes on for heat, the car would get lurchy. Putting my foot underneath and behind the brake pedal smoothed that out, too. Tiring on the ankle though (and unsafe). The car is back in the shop today, so they gave me a Camaro! I can see the gas tank needle drop as I drive.

I'll call them and mention the pre-loading of the brake sensor.

Edit: here's the post from the other user having this problem: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ily-Unavailable-message&p=3864345#post3864345

·
Registered
385 Posts
Please further define "preloading of the brake sensor." Is this a software thing or a spring thing?

·
Registered
49 Posts
After two weeks of the adaptive cruise control working flawlessly, the brake pedal is loose again, ACC turns off by itself again, and the car is back at the dealership. Hopefully the "preloading" takes this time. I am getting 13 mpg in my Suburban loaner now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
After two weeks of the adaptive cruise control working flawlessly, the brake pedal is loose again, ACC turns off by itself again, and the car is back at the dealership. Hopefully the "preloading" takes this time. I am getting 13 mpg in my Suburban loaner now.
You dropped off a Volt and they gave you a Suburban as a loaner? Ouch. Unless you've Home Depot runs to make, it's almost like they're trying to make the process insulting.

Keith

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Bad news, the car is doing the same thing again, so they are in the process of getting me a new car.

JG123 - A trick that at least worked on my car, tap the brake pedal to the left. It made the car work normally for about 4-5 days before I'd have to tap the brake pedal to the left again. Granted, I only found this trick out after they had pre-loaded the brake sensor, so I am unsure if it'll work for you.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Shame this is happening again. Sounds like this is an entirely new problem for the engineers to develop a process and test for.

So they're actually giving you a brand new Volt? Or a used one that with similar miles as yours? Cause brand new, that's awesome! Make sure they reset the warranty timer to reflect when you receive the new Volt!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yeah, brand new. This problem happened right out the gate when I had bought it, around 300ish miles. That was after it had already been in the shop for close to a week because at 139 miles it had a check engine light. Also, I'll use the warranty well before the time is up on it so I won't push to adjust anything regarding that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just took my volt in for a cruise control problem today and service came back telling me that basically this same issue is happening to me (2017 premier). They said GM engineering is working on a fix and they will get in contact with me when the fix is ready.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Would be interesting to see if you disengaged the CC with the paddle instead of the brake pedal....would it resume then?
It does; I usually cancel it with the paddle because it's easier to both reach and locate without taking my eyes off the road. The cruise icon turns from green to white and pressing the resume button resumes just as if I had cancelled it with the cancel button.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my 2017 Volt in Jan 2017. Since then I have had 4 loaner cars as the dealership tries new and improved CLIPS that secure the brake switch to the brake pedal. Yesterday the GM RVDC team bought back my car, then they did a collateral swap on my lease with a 0 mile new car. So basically my lease would continue 3 months in with a brand new car.

Well, on the way home, the new car (with 7 miles on it) started doing the SAME thing. I took it back to the dealership and had them drive it to be sure it was not ME. They confirmed that it was not working. So we tore up the paperwork for the second car and canceled the VIN Swap, and today I will be requesting that the GM buyback team buyback the first Volt for Cash, not a new car swap. Then I will shop for a different car. Maybe the Ford Fusion energy? I just know that i will not get a third Volt and wait for it to have the same issue.

It is VERY disappointing that is has happened to me and it seems, many others. And EVERY day I hear the dam commercials about Chevy awards and initial quality satisfaction, as I drive in a loaner or a brand new car with no cruise control.

My commute is 50 miles each way, and my employer in Redmond WA has 240 volt charging stations all over campus, so I can charge the car and drive home all 50 miles on battery. For the last 2k miles I had 119+ MPG, and the last 800 miles 180+mpg.

The car has great potential, but at this time for my it is just not worth the problems.

In addition to the ongoing cruise control issue, I have had a temperature switch replaced in the battery pack (caused the car to switch from battery to engine to battery to engine constantly), I have had the car STOP charging several occasions, and I will get a message on the gauge cluster (UNABLE TO CHARGE), and on a few occasions the car does not see my key FOB so it will not Shut off or I cannot get in the car.

I know electronics will always have a few gremlins, but for a car with only 5k miles on it, and a 60k mile 3 year lease ahead of me, I do not want to have things get worse.

D.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My 2017 with 700 miles on it just started this same problem. Ugh. Taking it to dealer tomorrow, will see what they say.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Mine has done it intermittently since I drove my new car home a month ago. Dealer took a look and said it works fine and blamed the problem on me. Currently, I can restore the set function by sticking the top of my foot under the brake pedal and jiggling it a few times. For now, the problem happens rarely and my fix has worked two times in a row so I'm good for now.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I wouldn't put up with "jiggling it" every once in a while or let them tell me it is my fault when I can easily let them drive test it and show it happens with any driver, but to each their own.

Mine has done it intermittently since I drove my new car home a month ago. Dealer took a look and said it works fine and blamed the problem on me. Currently, I can restore the set function by sticking the top of my foot under the brake pedal and jiggling it a few times. For now, the problem happens rarely and my fix has worked two times in a row so I'm good for now.

21 - 40 of 109 Posts