GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Volt. When I open the car door it starts to click. It stops when I press on the brake. Sometimes I notice it starts again when I take my foot off the brake. It may happen all the time when I'm not on the brake but I think unless I'm listening for it I wouldn't notice with other noises around.
Chevy said it was the brake booster system or brake booster/master cylinder. Does it make sense that something with the brakes would make a noise when opening any of the car doors? They told me awhile ago it did not seem to be effecting brake system function at this point. The brakes seem to be fine but I'm going on a trip and I wonder if it is dangerous. They said it will cost a little more than $2,000.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 2017 Volt. When I open the car door it starts to click. It stops when I press on the brake. Sometimes I notice it starts again when I take my foot off the brake. It may happen all the time when I'm not on the brake but I think unless I'm listening for it I wouldn't notice with other noises around.
Chevy said it was the brake booster system or brake booster/master cylinder. Does it make sense that something with the brakes would make a noise when opening any of the car doors? They told me awhile ago it did not seem to be effecting brake system function at this point. The brakes seem to be fine but I'm going on a trip and I wonder if it is dangerous. They said it will cost a little more than $2,000.
I just purchased a used 2017 Volt and mine makes weird noises when I plug it in. Almost like someone scratching their nails on the inside of the hood. It is just when I park, get out, close the door, go grab the charger and plug it in. It makes weird noises then beeps and starts charging. I assume that is normal but is that the same noise you are talking about? I wonder if it is the cooling system clicking or opening and closing things?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2017 Volt. When I open the car door it starts to click. It stops when I press on the brake.
I just purchased a 2017 Volt and I think it has the same issue as yours! Did you get your Volt repaired? Was it what you described?

The issue for me started after I purchased and drove it off the lot. Before purchasing I drove the vehicle fairly hard on the interstate and then more slowly on city streets and there was no clicking at all. The vehicle was not charged by the dealer and after charging it still clicks...it does not sound normal even if it only clicked on the engine. I am coming to the Volt from the Prius so I am accustom to its quirky noises that sound normal.

I purchased from Carmax as none of the Chevy dealers here want to sell used and got a price comparable to the Chevy dealers over in Houston (Carmax is usually overpriced from my research). I am not sure if they will have staff who can figure this out quickly. I would prefer to not deal with returning the car since it is in pretty good physical condition and low mileage (just under 20k). So being able to point them to what to check out is very helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just purchased a 2017 Volt and I think it has the same issue as yours! Did you get your Volt repaired? Was it what you described?

The issue for me started after I purchased and drove it off the lot. Before purchasing I drove the vehicle fairly hard on the interstate and then more slowly on city streets and there was no clicking at all. The vehicle was not charged by the dealer and after charging it still clicks...it does not sound normal even if it only clicked on the engine. I am coming to the Volt from the Prius so I am accustom to its quirky noises that sound normal.

I purchased from Carmax as none of the Chevy dealers here want to sell used and got a price comparable to the Chevy dealers over in Houston (Carmax is usually overpriced from my research). I am not sure if they will have staff who can figure this out quickly. I would prefer to not deal with returning the car since it is in pretty good physical condition and low mileage (just under 20k). So being able to point them to what to check out is very helpful.
I finally ordered the part to have it done. I'm worried that I could get into and accident because of it having to do with the brakes. I'm now starting to hear it in our Bolt but it doesn't keep making the noise the entire time we drive. Is it possible that the noise is there for you but with street noises you don't hear it? I called GM to see what it takes before it is recalled. I've been hearing about it from Bolts and Volts. It's an expensive repair being that it is not under warranty. It is so quiet that I wonder how long it has actually been going on.

If people with the problem would call GM maybe they could look into it. The fact that it could take a month for the part says their are others with possibly similar problems. Call 800-522-9559 and report your problem. The more people who do that the better chance they will look into the problem. Making it possible to become a recall and we won't have to pay $2,000 to have it fixed. They gave me a case #. I will be following up soon if I don't get the part soon. It's been over 3 weeks since I ordered the part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a long thread in the Bolt forums about this issue. Bottom line: it’s a software/firmware issue with the booster. The clicking noise is valves and doesn’t impact the operation of the booster.

Don’t spend thousands to fix it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2016 Volt started the clicking behind dash at 45k miles - took to dealer said it was brake pedal sensor did something to it and now car wont start need new one, replaced, said it was fixed, drove home didnt notice any clicking but next day same thing, clicking starts with out key stops when brake pedal is pressed, took back to dealer said no codes, they called GM and they said no fix, you have to live with it -$400 it cost me for nothing!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2016 Volt started the clicking behind dash at 45k miles - took to dealer said it was brake pedal sensor did something to it and now car wont start need new one, replaced, said it was fixed, drove home didnt notice any clicking but next day same thing, clicking starts with out key stops when brake pedal is pressed, took back to dealer said no codes, they called GM and they said no fix, you have to live with it -$400 it cost me for nothing!
Told today by GM that the Engineers that the clicking from behind dash is the EGR valve cycling and that its normal. I bought the car used with 30k miles and no clicking.Now it’s normal😂🥳 Now it’s clicking 30-50 times on opening door without key🤔 Driving the clicking stops and starts every time I touch the brake and cycles 10-15 times

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a long thread in the Bolt forums about this issue. Bottom line: it’s a software/firmware issue with the booster. The clicking noise is valves and doesn’t impact the operation of the booster.

We have a Bolt also. It started clicking recently and they told me that is a software update. They said it is not the same problem. Meanwhile I ordered the parts months ago and still have no word when it will be ready. I'm hoping to call GM back maybe tomorrow because they were supposedly helping me with this. They have not been.
I wish everyone with the problem would call GM. Maybe they would look into it more if they heard from a number of people. I put the number above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I finally ordered the part to have it done. I'm worried that I could get into and accident because of it having to do with the brakes. I'm now starting to hear it in our Bolt but it doesn't keep making the noise the entire time we drive. Is it possible that the noise is there for you but with street noises you don't hear it? I called GM to see what it takes before it is recalled. I've been hearing about it from Bolts and Volts. It's an expensive repair being that it is not under warranty. It is so quiet that I wonder how long it has actually been going on.

If people with the problem would call GM maybe they could look into it. The fact that it could take a month for the part says their are others with possibly similar problems. Call 800-522-9559 and report your problem. The more people who do that the better chance they will look into the problem. Making it possible to become a recall and we won't have to pay $2,000 to have it fixed. They gave me a case #. I will be following up soon if I don't get the part soon. It's been over 3 weeks since I ordered the part.
I'm going to call GM. It seems there should be a recall on this problem. We've had our 2017 Bolt for less than two years and it seems we may be looking at a $1,700 repair. That should not be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm going to call GM. It seems there should be a recall on this problem. We've had our 2017 Bolt for less than two years and it seems we may be looking at a $1,700 repair. That should not be.
We purchased it used in 2019 so no warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts