GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
LOL, Gen2 Chevy Volt at the drag strip. =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD-RIcpO8Do
That guy is a good salesman. This video takes some of the confusion about acceleration in HOLD mode to EV mode comparison.

It seems the Volt could benefit from a more aggressive blended mode because it appears to me that it leans on the ICE at low speed acceleration, they could dig into the battery for this and then rely more on the ICE at high speed.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
That guy is a good salesman. This video takes some of the confusion about acceleration in HOLD mode to EV mode comparison.

It seems the Volt could benefit from a more aggressive blended mode because it appears to me that it leans on the ICE at low speed acceleration, they could dig into the battery for this and then rely more on the ICE at high speed.
"blended" mode exists in the ELR which will be discontinued...Rather than throw away that code/technology and since GM has over an year until the MY18 will come out, if they bring it to the Volt it will sell more...Journalists/Media love 0-60, make them happy and they'll market the Volt for you...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
That is my video.. I actually posted an in-progress version of this video on this forum last week asking for suggestions. I did take one suggestion into account and changed the wording in one area.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Best video and write up that I have seen. Thumbs up!

By the way, your Volt is exactly the same as mine. Model, exterior color, interior color. I did chrome my wheels and I've also never gotten less that 58 electric miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice review on the Volt.
Driving on the highway, depending how fast I drive will usually get me 50-53.

If you can mix the two (Highway and City driving) you can increase the range another 5-10 miles.

I drove 52.3 miles yesterday and I had estimated 9 miles left.
1/3 highway and 2/3 city and using AC.

I used 12.6 kWh having 1.5 kWh left.
Average was 4.15 kWh per mile.

When I left my house I was thinking I would have to use gas at some point. I wasn't sure how many miles I would be driving but knew it would be over 50.
I was impressed with the range with having the AC on high.
It seems like you can drive in EV mode forever when you are city driving.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
What, no sport mode? :)
Sport mode won't make any difference. it just remaps the accelerator to make it seem peppier, but when you mash the accelerator to the floor, the volt will repond the same whether in sport or Normal modes. Now if this were an ELR, I think you'd see a difference. And I think some people have been able to get faster acceleration in Mountain Mode... But maybe I'm mistaken.

·
Registered
921 Posts

I used 12.6 kWh having 1.5 kWh left.
Average was 4.15 kWh per mile.

I think you mean miles per KWh.

My Spark did 5.4 miles per KWh yesterday, mostly freeway, but traffic was heavy and only doing 50-60.

·
Registered
675 Posts
That is my video.. I actually posted an in-progress version of this video on this forum last week asking for suggestions. I did take one suggestion into account and changed the wording in one area.
Nicely done. You almost sold me! I like the 60' times. I assume its noticeably faster then a gen1? Too bad I can't justify trading up :)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Nice job and I actually appreciate the acceleration test (and have been down the strip in Kennedale a few times myself in years past) - really differentiates your test from others!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Nicely done. You almost sold me! I like the 60' times. I assume its noticeably faster then a gen1? Too bad I can't justify trading up :)
Oh yes.. very much so. Not only is it much faster, but the throttle response is much more like an EV than the previous Volt. It's instant.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Nicely done!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Test drive one...If you're happy with the Gen1 you'll probably like the Gen2 better...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Not sure why a car review intended to promote the 2017 Volt as an electric car alternative to the Tesla Model 3 would choose to answer the How Far? question by showing a car advertised as having a 53 electric mile range actually getting only 49.1 electric miles on a warm, sunny day in Texas, nor why the car’s range with a full charge and a full tank of gas was not mentioned to compare those numbers with the expected Tesla range.

It was also unnerving to hear the narrator admit, "How Much? I wouldn’t even be able to afford the car if I had to pay that much [the window sticker price] for it."

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Not sure why a car review intended to promote the 2017 Volt as an electric car alternative to the Tesla Model 3 would choose to answer the How Far? question by showing a car advertised as having a 53 electric mile range actually getting only 49.1 electric miles on a warm, sunny day in Texas, nor why the car’s range with a full charge and a full tank of gas was not mentioned to compare those numbers with the expected Tesla range.

It was also unnerving to hear the narrator admit, "How Much? I wouldn’t even be able to afford the car if I had to pay that much [the window sticker price] for it."
When the tesla model 3 arrives, I predict the volt will be heavily discounted because dealers will have trouble selling them in the midst of higher range leafs, bolts, and Teslas. It's still the best car today as we transition to BEVs. Alas,going from a gas guzzler to a gen 1 was dramatic in fuel savings. The gen 1 to gen 2 difference in fuel saved doesn't justify an upgrade. So I'm skipping gen 2 unless someone Tbones me and I'm suddenly in the market for a new car.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts

Well the good news is it looks more authentic...Can't do a pure positive review and be surprised that people don't take you seriously...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts