GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! new chevy volt owner here. I have a 2017 Chevy Volt LT. I have the OEM Charger (EVSE).

I am in the process of using my 30amp dryer outlet to charge my Chevy volt. the part where it gets tricky (at least to me) is that i still need to use my dryer outlet for my dryer. So then i came across the dryer buddy turbo. The outlet that my dryer uses is the 10-30nema outlet.

It is my understanding that i could purchase the Dryer buddy turbo (10-30/5-20) version. Plug the Dryer buddy to my 10-30 outlet, and then my dryer into the dryer buddy, and then my stock EVSE into the 5-20 outlet and charge my car at 240v at 12amp because thats the highest option the car has.

Am i correct in assuming this solution would work to charge my car faster overnight? Or am i missing something.

Really appreciate all your help and am loving the volt so far!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Your "charge cord" (EVSE) always signals the car to use 12 amps max. So yes, you would charge 2x faster at 240v than at 120v. The Volt is capable of charging at 16 amps, so a higher power EVSE would charge even faster.

It is kind of dodgy wiring that 5-20 up at 240v like he is doing. Make sure no one plugs anything into that 5-20 other than your charge cord. If it were me, I'd buy a version with two 10-30Rs. Then build my own little adapter cable to go from 10-30P to 5-20R.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Here's a really basic question - what's the voltage on that dryer circuit? I ask because my stove is on a 50 amp 120V circuit. A 120V circuit will always be a L1 limited to 12 amp charging simply because most of these circuits are 15 amps.

·
Administrator
20,207 Posts
My solution was a 240V DPDT switch that controls whether the the EVSE is powered or the dryer. That way, it can never, ever, ever be both. Safety is important when charging on a circuit with more than one appliance sharing the circuit. Smoked outlets, melted or charged wiring is the least that can happen. Fire the worst.

See https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthrea...arging-station-for-sale&p=2827882#post2827882

1 - 4 of 4 Posts