GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, looking for a little bit of input on maintenance on a 2017 Volt.

I was reading my manual earlier today and saw that it looks like I'm going to have to change out my electric drive unit fluid given that I've recently hit 78k km (485.k miles).
I like doing my own maintenance, but unfortunately I don't have access to a garage and the snow in the driveway makes maintenance very inconvenient. I figured the next best thing was to call up the dealership and just get it done there. I expected them to quote me somewhere around $200 but the rep quoted me $499,95, insisting the fluid change required a complete flush. He also recommended a coolant change ($399,95) given my current mileage, which I don't see listed in the manual. I made the appointment anyways but after re-reading the manual I realized I was reading the "severe" maintenance schedule. The maintenance chart listed as "normal" has the drive fluid being changed at 240k km, so thankfully it's a non-issue.

I'm still wondering though, am I missing something here? Should it be that expensive? I looked it up on YouTube and the first result is a less than five minute video of some guy changing the fluid himself. Are they doing something extra outside replacing the fluid that merits the increased cost?
I know the dealership is out to make cash (they tried to charge me $899 when my charging cable crapped out) but that markup seems way too high, even for a dealership.

· Registered
78 Posts

I was reading my manual earlier today and saw that it looks like I'm going to have to change out my electric drive unit fluid given that I've recently hit 78k km (485.k miles).
I like doing my own maintenance, but unfortunately I don't have access to a garage and the snow in the driveway makes maintenance very inconvenient. I figured the next best thing was to call up the dealership and just get it done there. I expected them to quote me somewhere around $200 but the rep quoted me $499,95, insisting the fluid change required a complete flush. He also recommended a coolant change ($399,95) given my current mileage, which I don't see listed in the manual. I made the appointment anyways but after re-reading the manual I realized I was reading the "severe" maintenance schedule. The maintenance chart listed as "normal" has the drive fluid being changed at 240k km, so thankfully it's a non-issue.

I'm still wondering though, am I missing something here? Should it be that expensive? I looked it up on YouTube and the first result is a less than five minute video of some guy changing the fluid himself. Are they doing something extra outside replacing the fluid that merits the increased cost?
I know the dealership is out to make cash (they tried to charge me $899 when my charging cable crapped out) but that markup seems way too high, even for a dealership.

I just had the fluid change done for $254 at a Chevy dealer. They told me I could wait on the antifreeze till at least 100k miles. I have 45k on my 2018.a

· Registered
4,150 Posts
For the 2017 Volt I recommend we all change the Electric Drive Unit fluid every 45K miles. It makes the clutching action in the transmission much smoother. For coolant and brakes, every 5 years. My EDU, which is really just a specialized automatic transmission, is just a gravity drain and fill, unlike many automatic transmissions. Call another dealership.

· Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (added back-up camera! :)
670 Posts
It's less than an hours worth of work and about 6 bottles of low-viscosity ATF at $10 each. Should be less than $200. Definitely do it this year, do not wait until 100k+ miles. That being said, waiting a few months is not going to be the end of the world. If you like working on your car, just wait till late Spring and do it yourself.

Coolant-for the price you indicated, I suspect the dealer is only quoting the change of one system. (there are three) If you plan to keep the car for a long time, all three should be changed. Brake fluid as well.

Most manufacturers quote extremely long change intervals of all kinds of fluids (especially the first interval) so that they can claim how cheap their cars are to maintain. In reality, all they are worried about is getting through the warranty period. They don't care about the long term impacts of aging fluids at 100k miles. If you like the car and want it to last, just change it.

· Administrator
23,396 Posts
moved to Use, Care, Maintenance...

· Registered
2017 Chevy Volt LT
25 Posts
I just had my local mechanic do all these fluid changes:
brakes $85, coolant (engine only) $95, and electric drive unit for $130
Coolant for power electronics and batteries does not need to be changed per an EV tech at a dealership I spoke with. I would probably do that at 150K miles though just to be safe at a cost of $130 for each coolant.

· Registered
37 Posts
Electric drive unit fluid change was pretty easy. The only slightly tricky part was getting an accurate measurement of the amount of fluid that came out so that I could fill the same amount back in again. I ended up using a milk bottle that I had marked up with quart level measurements on the side.

· Registered
8 Posts
I bought a 2017 Volt 2 years ago with 60 k miles on it. Not knowing how the previous owner drove it, (or if he had the electric drive fluid changed) I had the trans fluid changed at local dealership. I was charged $350 for the fluid change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts