GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
My Volt suddenly popped the CEL. I called OnStar to run a remote Diagnostic, and what I got shocked me. That is a lot of Errors. OnStar rep told me I could continue driving and my trusty Volt got me home and drove totally normally. Even on the Generator, she was smooth and quiet, but I did notice radiator fans running frequently. I also noted engine temps about 118-121 Celsius, which is a bit high, she usually is around 90C. Here are all the codes as provided by OnStar Diagnostics.

Now this also happened 2 weeks ago and the deale said it was a blown fuse. They replaced it free of charge and didn't charge me anything for the diagnostic. They drove it extensively in Hold Mode and were unable to replicate it. But here we are again. Any ideas?

ECM - Engine System

P0030 Service within 7 daysThe Emissions System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Exhaust Emissions System which monitors and controls exhaust gases released into the air from the engine. If the vehicle is continually driven with this light on, the emission controls might not work as well, the vehicle fuel economy might not be as good, the engine might not run as smoothly and could lead to future repairs.

P0031 Service within 7 daysThe Emissions System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Exhaust Emissions System which monitors and controls exhaust gases released into the air from the engine. If the vehicle is continually driven with this light on, the emission controls might not work as well, the vehicle fuel economy might not be as good, the engine might not run as smoothly and could lead to future repairs.

P0054 Service within 7 daysThe Emissions System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Exhaust Emissions System which monitors and controls exhaust gases released into the air from the engine. If the vehicle is continually driven with this light on, the emission controls might not work as well, the vehicle fuel economy might not be as good, the engine might not run as smoothly and could lead to future repairs.

P0132 Service within 7 daysThe Emissions System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Exhaust Emissions System which monitors and controls exhaust gases released into the air from the engine. If the vehicle is continually driven with this light on, the emission controls might not work as well, the vehicle fuel economy might not be as good, the engine might not run as smoothly and could lead to future repairs.

P0135 Service within 7 daysThe Emissions System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Exhaust Emissions System which monitors and controls exhaust gases released into the air from the engine. If the vehicle is continually driven with this light on, the emission controls might not work as well, the vehicle fuel economy might not be as good, the engine might not run as smoothly and could lead to future repairs.

P0403 Service within 7 daysThe Emissions System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Exhaust Emissions System which monitors and controls exhaust gases released into the air from the engine. If the vehicle is continually driven with this light on, the emission controls might not work as well, the vehicle fuel economy might not be as good, the engine might not run as smoothly and could lead to future repairs.

P0405 Service within 7 daysThe Emissions System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Exhaust Emissions System which monitors and controls exhaust gases released into the air from the engine. If the vehicle is continually driven with this light on, the emission controls might not work as well, the vehicle fuel economy might not be as good, the engine might not run as smoothly and could lead to future repairs.

P0443 Service within 7 daysThe Emissions System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Evaporative Emissions System which prevents the escape of fuel vapors from the gasoline in your fuel tank and fuel lines. The following may correct an evaporative emission malfunction: - Check that the fuel cap is fully installed. If you determined that the fuel cap was not seated properly, a few driving trips with the cap properly installed should turn the light off. - Ensure that good quality fuel is used. If fuel below vehicle standard, as noted in the owner manual, was used, it may require at least one full tank of the proper fuel to turn the light off. If these conditions do not apply or are not corrected with the recommended actions, please have your vehicle serviced.

P0458 Service within 7 daysThe Emissions System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Evaporative Emissions System which prevents the escape of fuel vapors from the gasoline in your fuel tank and fuel lines. The following may correct an evaporative emission malfunction: - Check that the fuel cap is fully installed. If you determined that the fuel cap was not seated properly, a few driving trips with the cap properly installed should turn the light off. - Ensure that good quality fuel is used. If fuel below vehicle standard, as noted in the owner manual, was used, it may require at least one full tank of the proper fuel to turn the light off. If these conditions do not apply or are not corrected with the recommended actions, please have your vehicle serviced.

P0489 Service within 7 daysThe Emissions System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Exhaust Emissions System which monitors and controls exhaust gases released into the air from the engine. If the vehicle is continually driven with this light on, the emission controls might not work as well, the vehicle fuel economy might not be as good, the engine might not run as smoothly and could lead to future repairs.

P0597 Service within 1 dayThe Engine and Transmission System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Engine Cooling System which monitors and controls engine temperature to maintain optimal operating temperatures and avoid overheating conditions. If you are driving under normal operating conditions, please check the temperature gauge on the instrument panel. If the needle is in the red warning area, the engine is too hot. Pull off the road, stop the vehicle, and turn off the engine as soon as possible.

P0598 Service within 1 dayThe Engine and Transmission System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Engine Cooling System which monitors and controls engine temperature to maintain optimal operating temperatures and avoid overheating conditions. If you are driving under normal operating conditions, please check the temperature gauge on the instrument panel. If the needle is in the red warning area, the engine is too hot. Pull off the road, stop the vehicle, and turn off the engine as soon as possible.

P06DA Service within 7 daysThe Engine and Transmission System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Engine Cooling System which monitors and controls engine temperature to maintain optimal operating temperatures and avoid overheating conditions. If you are driving under normal operating conditions, please check the temperature gauge on the instrument panel. If the needle is in the red warning area, the engine is too hot. Pull off the road, stop the vehicle, and turn off the engine as soon as possible.

P06DB Service within 7 daysThe Engine and Transmission System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Engine Cooling System which monitors and controls engine temperature to maintain optimal operating temperatures and avoid overheating conditions. If you are driving under normal operating conditions, please check the temperature gauge on the instrument panel. If the needle is in the red warning area, the engine is too hot. Pull off the road, stop the vehicle, and turn off the engine as soon as possible.

P1E00 Service within 7 daysThe Engine and Transmission System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Engine Electrical System, including the Charging and Starting System that monitors and controls the engine starting system and 12V battery charging system. If the charge system light stays on, or comes on while driving, there may be a problem with the electrical charging system. Driving while this light is on could drain the battery. If a short distance must be driven with the light on, be sure to turn off all accessories, such as the radio and air conditioner.

P25A2 Service within 7 daysThe Engine and Transmission System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Engine Electrical System, including the Charging and Starting System that monitors and controls the engine starting system and 12V battery charging system. If the charge system light stays on, or comes on while driving, there may be a problem with the electrical charging system. Driving while this light is on could drain the battery. If a short distance must be driven with the light on, be sure to turn off all accessories, such as the radio and air conditioner.

[https://mail]SDM - Airbag System

No Error Code Found

[https://mail]VIU - OnStar System

No Error Code Found

[https://mail]HCP - Hybrid Control Processor

No Error Code Found

[https://mail]BOI - Bulb Outage Indicators

No Error Code Found

[https://mail]ABS - Braking and Stability System

U179D Service within 7 days An issue has been detected in the Antilock Brake System.

[https://mail]VIC - VEHICLE INTEGRATION CONTROL

U185A Service within 7 days The Emissions System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Evaporative Emissions System which prevents the escape of fuel vapors from the gasoline in your fuel tank and fuel lines. The following may correct an evaporative emission malfunction: - Check that the fuel cap is fully installed. If you determined that the fuel cap was not seated properly, a few driving trips with the cap properly installed should turn the light off. - Ensure that good quality fuel is used. If fuel below vehicle standard, as noted in the owner manual, was used, it may require at least one full tank of the proper fuel to turn the light off. If these conditions do not apply or are not corrected with the recommended actions, please have your vehicle serviced.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,903 Posts
Model year? Miles?

Reactions: WhatAShocker

·
Registered
380 Posts
EGR valve and walk home fuse maybe??

Happened to mine, with only 11K miles on the Genny !!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
With that list of codes I'd be looking at the EGR valve.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My wife literally has nearly the exact same list today on her 2017, after she got a reduced propulsion notification. She's out-of-town helping her mother with her grandfathers funeral arrangements. Couldn't happen at a worse time. Now we're worried the car will die on the road and Chevy is being useless. (can't set an appointment until 8-9 days later). I think the car has just under 50k miles.

Edit: Found another dealer about 30 miles away (near Hearn, TX) that will take the car tomorrow. Pretty sure it's the EGR.

·
Registered
13 Posts
P0030 - O2 sensor air fuel ratio
P0443 - EVAP system purge valve or its control circuit
P0458 - Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Circuit Low Input
P0403 - Engine exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) circuit has malfunctioned
P0489 - ECM has detected a fault with an electrical component of the EGR system
P0597 - Engine's thermostat is experiencing an issue with the control voltage
P0598 - Fault involving the thermostat heater control circuit
P06DA - Oil pressure control circuit
P06DB - vague powertrain code...not sure

·
Registered
13 Posts
College Station service center says it's just a fuse that blew and threw codes above, so they replaced the fuse and sent my wife on her way. From everything I'm reading, it's the malfunctioning EGR system that causes the fuse to blow in the first place, so she is probably not out of the woods. Hopefully she can make it home (~120 miles) before it blows the fuse again...

·
Registered
13 Posts
College Station service center says it's just a fuse that blew and threw codes above, so they replaced the fuse and sent my wife on her way. From everything I'm reading, it's the malfunctioning EGR system that causes the fuse to blow in the first place, so she is probably not out of the woods. Hopefully she can make it home (~120 miles) before it blows the fuse again...
....and of course, as my wife attempted to drive her "repaired" Volt home the EGR caused the fuse to blow again,and she's got reduced propulsion, same spectrum of codes, and it's overheating. She's got about 80 miles to go, running the heater full blast in the TX summer.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Replacing a fuse is rarely ever a "fix". Something caused the fuse to blow in the first place.

The EGR valve is going to have to be replaced. There have been a few reports on these forums of them shorting out and blowing that fuse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Spent half my day removing, cleaning, and reinstalling the EGR. It was pretty filthy and we got a ton of carbon out of it, but it's still blowing the F3 fuse. This sucks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Spent half my day removing, cleaning, and reinstalling the EGR. It was pretty filthy and we got a ton of carbon out of it, but it's still blowing the F3 fuse. This sucks.
Have you tried leaving the EGR unplugged? Does the ICE still operate with that error? (it won't blow fuses if it is unplugged...)

-Charlie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you tried leaving the EGR unplugged? Does the ICE still operate with that error? (it won't blow fuses if it is unplugged...)

-Charlie
I have not tried that. However, the local Chevy dealer (Austin AutoNation) is going to cover the EGR replacement under warrantee (2017 w/~48,000mi). We bought the car there new. Faith temporarily restored (GM/dealer standing behind product). Unfortunately, it will be a while as the EGR is on backorder, again. We have the car back home and it will be driven on electric only until it's fixed.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
677 Posts
Lots of posts elsewhere with the same symptoms, and it happened to me a couple of weeks ago. The EGR develops an internal short which takes out F3 and thus a lot of other systems. They told me it would be 3-5 days to get a new valve but ended up coming overnight. They was a severe shortage of EGR valves about 10 months ago. I am hoping the new stock has fixed what appears to be a design/ manufacturing problem. Guess we will have to wait to see if there are any repeat occurrences of the problem.
I tried to find out if this new EGR valve is somehow different from the old, but so far no luck.

GM a covered the repair under the emissions warranty ( a good reason for GM to insist on a failure analysis/ redesign).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts