GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my 2017 Volt (17,900 miles) wouldn't start. When I put it in reverse it displayed a "Shift to Park" message. (Had the shifter replaced a few months ago due to a similar problem.) It also displayed something like, "Can't charge car," even though the battery was fully charged. Engine light on.

I called OnStar but I don't have the kind of subscription that includes diagnostics. AAA came out to check the 12V battery, which got a clean bill of health. Just in case, the technician tried jump starting it, using the contacts under the hood. No dice.

At about the same time or soon after the attempted jump start, I received an email from Onstar: "An issue with the lithium-ion battery in your 2017 Chevrolet Volt has been detected. Please service your vehicle within 1 day."

I've scheduled an appointment. Curious: could the attempted jumpstart have fooled the diagnostics into thinking there was an issue with the lithium-ion battery?

Between the shifter issue and this one I'm thinking I have a lemon. Two big issues in less than 18,000 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
CEL + OnStar warning about lithium-ion battery + "Shift to Park"

Yesterday my 2017 Volt (17,900 miles) wouldn't start properly. When I put it in reverse it displayed a "Shift to Park" message. (Had the shifter replaced a few months ago because it couldn't tell it was already in Park.) When I opened the door it displayed something like, "Can't charge car," even though the battery was fully charged. Check Engine Light is on.

I called OnStar but don't have the kind of subscription that includes diagnostics. AAA came out to check the 12V battery, which got a clean bill of health. Just in case, the technician tried jump starting it, using the contacts under the hood. No dice.

At about the same time or soon after the attempted jump start, I received an email from Onstar: "An issue with the lithium-ion battery in your 2017 Chevrolet Volt has been detected. Please service your vehicle within 1 day."

I've scheduled an appointment. Curious: could the attempted jump start have fooled the diagnostics into thinking there was an issue with the lithium-ion battery?

Between the shifter issue and this one I'm thinking I have a lemon. Two big issues in less than 18,000 miles.

·
Administrator
20,462 Posts
Please don't double post.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Those symptoms sound like those of a bad Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) which is one of two seemingly common failures on the Volt. The other is the shifter. The good news is that both of those things are covered under warranty, and I don't believe I've seen people experience multiple failures of either part (the new parts are revised), so you're at least getting them both out of the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Barich. Good to know the likely cause. I have an appointment at the dealer on Friday. They suggested I tow it in even it starts, out of an abundance of caution. My shifter wasn't covered under warranty because I'd had the car more than 2 years. I'm glad the battery is covered.

·
Registered
824 Posts
My shifter wasn't covered under warranty because I'd had the car more than 2 years.
There are several reports of the shifter issue being covered under the longer Voltec warranty. But you'd have to fight for it if your dealer insists on charging you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts