GM Volt Forum banner

2017 Can't fill my gas tank.

1397 18
Hey all,

So every time I try to fill up, the pump clicks off right after it starts pumping. I've tried multiple pumps and it keeps happening. I don't have any CEL's. What could be causing this? Thanks for any help.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2013 Volt
127 Posts

Read through this thread. I believe the OP had a gen2, I have a gen1 and shared my experience.

· Administrator
23,396 Posts
Perhaps you have a full tank of gas.
Perhaps you are inserting the nozzle too far.
Perhaps the fill tube is blocked with a rag of something.

Whatever it is, the pump is sensing "full".

Also, it's common courtesy to post your car year in the title, or in the body or in your signature. All three, even better!

· Registered
4,150 Posts
I've had this problem with other cars. Try setting the fill latch to the slowest rate it will hold at.

Reactions: Arstinince

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh geez, sorry guys. Yeah it's a 2017! Totally forgot to mention that. I looked through the post, thanks for that!

I have tried the normal things, pulling the nozzle out a bit, filling at a slower rate. All make it click off.

So it senses full. Hmmmmm. Could this have anything to do with this purge valve I've seen mentioned?

· Registered
1,325 Posts
Purge valve is a good call.do these cards have a valves vent?if so maybe that's clogged.
Have you tried using a gas can to fill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Arstinince

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One more update.

I took the car to the gas station and before trying to fill up, I tried manually purging the tank by removing the evap hose from the purge valve. Still no dice.

The fuel, as it's being pumped, still runs up the filler neck toward the handle as I'm trying to pump and shuts off.

I've tried blowing down the filler neck. I'm starting to run out of ideas. This sucks.

If y'all have any more ideas, they'll be more than welcome. Thanks guys.

· Administrator
23,396 Posts
Perhaps the charcoal vapor collection canister got flooded due to overfilling in the past after the nozzle clicked off?

Some related threads

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perhaps the charcoal vapor collection canister got flooded due to overfilling in the past after the nozzle clicked off?

Some related threads
I did take that off actually to check for that and there was nothing inside.

On the positive side, I think I may have figured it out. That is, I'm like 99% sure. I checked my filler neck and found that a rather large piece of my gas can filler neck broke off and lodged in there. I haven't tried filling it yet, but I suspect it will work out just fine now lol.

Thanks for everyone's help!

· Administrator
23,396 Posts
I checked my filler neck and found that a rather large piece of my gas can filler neck broke off and lodged in there.
So, not a rag, but a something. :)

· Registered
OpenEVSE home charger, 2013 Volt base, added tow hitch, K&N filters, 3d printed interior mods, etc
223 Posts
I have a metal funnel with intake screen that goes in the car's fill tube.. Then I take off the stupid, spill inducing "features" of the gas can. Then I add a 3d printed spout with none of those anti spill features..Then I pour carefully into the funnel from the can + homemade spout. Amazingly, no spills. And now I have another reason for doing this, as the metal funnel isn't going to breaking off in the filler tube anytime this century.

Thanks for coming back to report the findings and fix.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts