GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster and appreciate the help in advance!

I just purchased a 2017 Volt, and was wondering if I can use the existing AC power outlet in my garage?

Few questions:
1. If I can use the existing outlet, do I need an adapter to convert to Nema 5-15P so I can use my existing cable?

2. How do I find out if my existing stock charger cable can handle 220v or 240v?

3.If I can’t use my existing charger cable, which cable & adapter would be the best cost effective option utilizing my existing 240V outlet?

I attached pictures of my existing outlet, AC plug (identifies the current AC power), and existing charger cable.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like you need an adapter from 6-20 240 outlet to fit to a 5-15 plug assuming the plug end of your evse is a 5-15? If this is the GM evse that came with the 17 volt it should work on either 120 or 240. If that white plug end is for your evse then you may be able to plug directly into the outlet.

This is a 6-20 to 5-15 adapter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks
Looks like you need an adapter from 6-20 240 outlet to fit to a 5-15 plug assuming the plug end of your evse is a 5-15? If this is the GM evse that came with the 17 volt it should work on either 120 or 240. If that white plug end is for your evse then you may be able to plug directly into the outlet.

Thanks for the info. The picture of the plug is for the Air Condition unit that was plugged into the outlet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

And yes the standard EVSE I have has a 5-15. Sounds like I’m good with the adapter you sent, and using the stock EVSE.

Would the main benefit of upgrading the EVSE so I can get 16 amp capability?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts