GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Chevy, Volt 2013, ~221,000K Miles.
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a base 2013 Volt now for around 5 years and am among the many fans I have read here. My Volt started with me ~ 2 years old at 70K miles (How I got a good deal) and I'm now over 215K on it. I live in Colorado and always end up working ~1 hour away and the winters have just enough days that are truly cold to make me hesitant to go full EV, however my resolve is starting wane. The Gen 1 Volts I have full confidence in having a high chance of being able to 250K out of it with just a little care and little caution even given the -10 degree nights it has been out in a cold parking lot as I work overnight etc and have to drive 50 miles home without a charger available.

I did some pretty targeted searches and see the notes about Hilltop Mode ( Bolt Battery Longevity | GM Volt Forum (gm-volt.com) ) and the reviews such as ( Bolt EV Range Impressions | GM Volt Forum (gm-volt.com) ) but wanted to see what owners thought about the ability for a Bolt to last over 200K miles when ~ 5 - 10% of the driving might by under 32 degrees F (rarely down to the -10's I did with the Volt for a few years up in WY) but still wanting to have a chance at purchase price averaging out to $1K a year. (Purchase price, not Total Cost of Ownership.) At current prices here that means getting ~25K mile 2017 for 17K and I'm thinking I'd be hard pressed to get 17 years out of it at 50 - 100 miles day... As oppose to my volt that I'm still hoping to give Sparky a run for it's money!!!

Anyway, thank you for any thoughts, other viewpoints or ways to look at the 'fuzzy math' etc. Thank you all.

·
Administrator
20,453 Posts
Like my 2011 Volt, my 2017 Bolt is holding up well. I think in terms of years rather than miles. The Volt's at 9-1/2 years, the Bolt at 3-1/4 years. With maintenance, any car can last a long time. My oldest was 21 years, next oldest 17 years. The unknown here is the battery, but I expect 10-15 years will not be unusual.

Reactions: schuttwm
1 - 2 of 2 Posts