GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all -

The other night I was driving to a friend's house when I got an urgent text message. Using Siri to dictate my texts never works as I hope, so I pulled off into the grass at an intersection at the end of the road to respond with an update.

Well, little did I know, I pulled right into a huge patch of mud probably a foot deep. Within seconds, the Volt was gone. Carefully trying to reverse or pull out did nothing but dig me deeper.

A couple good samaritans arrived and kindly offered assistance. We tried pushing, and I erroneously let one guy get in and try and rock it out (but I told him to stop because I feared it would be abusive to my Voltec unit). In fact I still feel guilty for whatever premature wear I caused the car by foolishly putting it into this predicament.

At last, defeated, I told them I would probably call AAA even if it took 3 hours. Since there was no towing hook in the rear, and the one in front would pulling the car several yards deeper THROUGH the mud, it looked as if towing was unlikely. However, I did suggest that we - very carefully - use the rear trunk hatch with a bungee cord to free the car. We knew it wouldn't take much, so we hooked the cord up to the gentleman's F250 and gave it a try, with great caution.

I was afraid it would rip the latch or bend something, but it served this purpose very well. I expected to hear more cracking or shearing, but there was only a little flexing noise from the metal as we began to pull. The car was soon freed.

However, although nothing is visibly bent or broken, the trunk does not really close flush anymore. Granted, owing to GM's quality-control philosophies, the panel gaps on the hatch were always completely out of whack, but I ignored it. Except, on the side with the bigger gap, there is now nearly 1cm of space between the black plastic piece and the taillight. As long as it doesn't leak, I don't care. And I know I was stupid to do this - but it was the best option I had at the time.

Big deal or not? Tips to resolve the huge panel gap? Interested in any opinions (unless you just want to call me a moron for doing this. I know I am one already.)

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've all been there.

Did you bend the latch mechanism or just the striker? It looks like the strikers are only about $4. You might want to just replace it. Google part number 13530679.
It would be the striker. I was not aware of this term. Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.