GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think WhatAShocker was just comparing the BECM to the EGR - that both had been designed and hopefully improved.
Yeah, apparently the Volt has many improved parts. I just ordered a brand new 12V for my 2017 Volt and was told that was an improved 12V battery for the Volt... Specifically EREV 2 battery by Delco. It was about $100 more expensive, but it definitely looks different than the original. Seems GM is pretty committed to the Volt.

Anyone else have this battery?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premium, Purchased March 2019, 57k miles
32 Posts
Yesterday (Wednesday) was the 8-week anniversary of my '18 Volt's stay at the Chevy dealership. The 9/20 ship-date didn't pan out. The newest carrot being dangled in front of me is a week-of-10/11 delivery date.

On a brighter note, after 8 weeks it still has 96% charge.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yesterday (Wednesday) was the 8-week anniversary of my '18 Volt's stay at the Chevy dealership. The 9/20 ship-date didn't pan out. The newest carrot being dangled in front of me is a week-of-10/11 delivery date.

On a brighter note, after 8 weeks it still has 96% charge.
Are they providing a loaner or rental to you? And if so, how did you talk them into it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are they providing a loaner or rental to you? And if so, how did you talk them into it?
Yes they did. I brought it up and they agreed. I'm a bit nervous about what'll happen when the car is repaired and the car gets turned in.

Wednesday again. 9 weeks and counting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes they did. I brought it up and they agreed. I'm a bit nervous about what'll happen when the car is repaired and the car gets turned in.

Wednesday again. 9 weeks and counting.
Is the dealer proving a loaner? Or did they provide a rental car for you?

I bought my '17 in June. two weeks later it was at the dealer for almost a month for a BECM replacement. Since it was still under Carmax's warranty, Carmax provided me with a loaner during that time.

Three weeks ago it started not fully charging at times. I was going to replace the 12v battery to see if that helped that weekend, but then while driving it I got the "reduced propulsion message" and my battery range dropped from 35 miles to zero while I was driving it to my kid's school. I put it in HOLD mode and called Carmax while taking it back to them but they gave me the cold shoulder because I was outside of their 90 day warranty at this point. I instead took it to a Chevy dealer (same place they towed it to for the BECM before).

This dealer told me that Chevy suspended their loaner car programs and basically I was S.O.L. I ended up renting a car (through Turo because traditional rental places have nothing available for less than $130/day). I chatted with Chevy customer service that evening and got a horrible customer service agent in chat.

Apparently my car needs one of the HV battery sections replaced and they are supposed to have the part tomorrow so I'm hoping it's done by Monday at the latest but who the hell knows these days. If they won't reimburse me for my rental costs I'm going to raise hell with GM on the phone and hope they do something to help.

I love the Volt but god damn... I'm seriously considering just selling it after it's fixed and getting something more dependable - like a 1998 Camry LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2017 Volt has been sitting at the dealership for 12 weeks waiting for a BECM. I'm wondering about the condition of the HV and 12v battery now after sitting so long in the South Florida heat. Battery level was near 100% when it arrived.

·
Registered
32 Posts
They said they'd provide a rental, but I ended up being the one to find it. It took me many hours. It had to be a GM, which slowed things down significantly.
Luckily, it is still under warranty.

I'm not sure this car is worth having outside the warranty period. But, finding another car right now would be a huge pain.

·
Registered
2018 Volt LT
194 Posts
They said they'd provide a rental, but I ended up being the one to find it. It took me many hours. It had to be a GM, which slowed things down significantly.
Luckily, it is still under warranty.

I'm not sure this car is worth having outside the warranty period. But, finding another car right now would be a huge pain.
Your rental had to be a GM? Seriously?

·
Registered
2017, Chevy Volt, Premier, Mosaic Black Metallic, 10k miles
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Current Update.
Since my original post I have had little progress as many folks have noted. My Volt has been at the dealership since 07/12/21 with no end in site. I did phone GM customer service and was told that I have three options; (a) get a rental car at my expense and GM would reimburse (b) ask the dealership for a loaner (which I have and they don't have any because of so many vehicles being down) or (c) submit for reimbursement of your monthly car payment.
Even though my car is paid off, apparently if I provide the appropriate documentation, they will reimburse. Here is the text from the email I received from GM.
---
[email text]
We are pleased to be able to offer you a reimbursement for the amount of a car payment(s) due to the parts delay situation on your 2017 Chevrolet Volt, VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX at Mark Wahlberg Chevrolet.

In order to get this processed for you as quickly as possible, we need a copy of the repair order from your Chevrolet dealership showing the date the vehicle arrived at the dealership and the date it was repaired.

In addition, we need documentation from your lending institution showing your name, the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for your 2017 Chevrolet Volt, and the amount of your car payment on the same document. If you paid cash, please send a copy of your sales record showing your name, the VIN, and the total amount paid for the vehicle. and we will calculate your car payment based on a 5-year loan.

Lastly, we need proof-of-payment showing the car payment was made, which can be satisfied by submitting the front and back copy of a cashed check; a credit card receipt that identifies payee, payer, and paid amount; or, a bank or credit card statement that identifies payee, payer, and paid amount.

For your protection, please blacken out any account numbers or other personal information. As soon as we receive this documentation, we will process your reimbursement, which should arrive in 6 to 8 weeks.

---
Working to get clarity if the car needs to be repaired first or if I can receive reimbursement while the car is in the shop waiting for repair. Stay tuned for that answer. Mean while, I am pursing this option as the waiting game continues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Update.. dealership called Monday that the part had shipped and that I should have my car back this week. Picked it up today. Everything was covered under warranty. 3 months, 16 days

Plan to send my repair order in for reimbursement as previously noted. Will keep the forum updated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
After nearly a month on mine they finally had the new battery section installed and everything seems good to go. What kind of irked me was when I picked up the car it as covered in a bunch of dust and had bird crap all over it. Also when I went to drive off the low tire light was on and the RR tire was down to 23 lb. It felt like I had to pull teeth to get someone to put air in it and now it's lost 2 psi over 4 days (compared to the other 3 tires) so it has a slow leak which it didn't have before. I know there weren't obligated to wash it or anything like that but.. come on, yaknow?

And again they told me there is no rental car reimbursement, so I'm out three weeks worth of car rental fees - but at least they were nice enough to supply me a phone number I can call and complain to someone so who knows... It was a pain using a car rental app (Turo) because all I could get from a "legitimate" company (enterprise, hertz, etc) was an SUV at $120+ a day because nothing else was available.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I, too, got my car back recently. After more than 12 weeks! Runs great!
I agree, sitting out for 3 months made everything dusty and nasty. I spent half of yesterday cleaning the thing. It would have been nice if they did a quick detail. I remember Saturn used to do that.

It seems to me, if a dealer says there's no rental reimbursement for warranty repairs, it probably means they're too lazy to deal with the paperwork. It makes no sense that some dealers could do it and others couldn't. I mean, if the dealers pay it, what dealer could afford it now? All the Chevy lots near me are empty.

I forgot how much I liked this car. Front seat comfort is a huge disappointment, but everything else is sweet! I got the Premier so I'd gotten used to some niceties that weren't in the rentals. The stereo and adaptive cruise were what I missed most. Oh, and massive torque!

I'm cautiously optimistic that Chevy got it right now and I'll have many more miles of cheap and trouble-free driving ahead of me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Update: Around the first of November I did send in all the required documents to GM in pursuit of the monthly reimbursement option. Every week I received an update call from the representative assigned to my case. This week the customer service representative called to inform that my reimbursement was approved and that I will be receiving a check from GM over the next 2-3 weeks for 3-months of compensation equating to $1,329. Will keep the forum updated as this reaches conclusion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Received the reimbursement check in the mail today. Slightly less than what was stated within the voice message from the Customer Service Representative but, I'm not complaining.
Feeling thankful on this eve of Thanksgiving.

Font Screenshot Rectangle Brand Parallel

21 - 37 of 37 Posts