GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2017, Chevy Volt, Premier, Mosaic Black Metallic, 10k miles
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'17 Volt Premier
After receiving battery codes and 'propulsion reduced' type messages, I first replaced the 12v battery. That didn't fix the issue(s) so took it to the dealer (Mark Wahlberg Chevrolet). Dropped it off July 12th. Immediately the dealer diagnosed that the BECM needs replaced and would be covered under the Battery Warranty however the part is on backorder. I'm told that because this is a 'warranty' situation, they must obtain their parts from a specific resource and that resource is backordered because of the microchip & supply chain shortages. Up until today, they have had no changes to availability dates. Today they reported that their system is indicating a ship date of 9/20/21.
Please share if anyone on this forum is experiencing a similar situation and/or if anyone has advice how to escalate. Until then, we continue to wait.
Thank you. I'll keep the forum updated as we progress.

·
Registered
232 Posts
'17 Volt Premier
After receiving battery codes and 'propulsion reduced' type messages, I first replaced the 12v battery. That didn't fix the issue(s) so took it to the dealer (Mark Wahlberg Chevrolet). Dropped it off July 12th. Immediately the dealer diagnosed that the BECM needs replaced and would be covered under the Battery Warranty however the part is on backorder. I'm told that because this is a 'warranty' situation, they must obtain their parts from a specific resource and that resource is backordered because of the microchip & supply chain shortages. Up until today, they have had no changes to availability dates. Today they reported that their system is indicating a ship date of 9/20/21.
Please share if anyone on this forum is experiencing a similar situation and/or if anyone has advice how to escalate. Until then, we continue to wait.
Unfortunately with the chip shortages, this is not surprising... Everyone is suffering. My brother told me a fellow in a 2019 RAV4 needs a new TCM and it is backordered until October or November... And my brother said there is no end in sight. This is a terrible situation for lots of people sadly and I know it doesn't make yours any easier. I am sorry about this. But keep pushing so you ensure your spot at the top of the table. PS. My brother is the service manager at a Toyota dealer here in Toronto.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not just cars... Took us 3 months to get a replacement "control board" for our dishwasher.

How I long for the old days when everything was timers and cams...
...and they would gum up with filth and twist off the shafts.

·
Administrator
21,218 Posts
Not just cars... Took us 3 months to get a replacement "control board" for our dishwasher.

How I long for the old days when everything was timers and cams...
...and they would gum up with filth and twist off the shafts.
Yup. There are now supply chain issues in almost every industry.

Reactions: WhatAShocker

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premium, Purchased March 2019, 57k miles
31 Posts
Today they reported that their system is indicating a ship date of 9/20/21.
2018 Premier and I'm in the same boat. I got the same 9/20 ship date after weeks of no date at all.
I understand the long lead time. But it is still an expensive-to-replace component that went bad on a new car. How long will the new one last?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
why not source one from the salvage yard and give it to chevy,at least you'll have your car back.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota RAV4 XSE and 2017 Volt
12 Posts
Maybe we should start a sticky at the forum top with part numbers for the BECM. I have seen a few salvage parts from wrecks.

Maybe I'll buy one as a spare on hand.

I can't be without a car for weeks.

No issue yet.....knock on wood.

Steve

·
Registered
232 Posts
Maybe we should start a sticky at the forum top with part numbers for the BECM. I have seen a few salvage parts from wrecks.

Steve
Not a bad idea. Maybe with a pdf of the service replacement procedure as well. As you are dealing with tremendously high voltages, no sense in saving a few bucks at the cost of vaporizing yourself... Hahaha! Jokes... But I also suspect some dealer programming may be necessary to hook it all together.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I’ve heard the new BECMs are redesigned and that the new ones don’t fail.
So that’s definitely a good reason to stick with a dealer for this repair.
I think it's like the EGR's. The new ones are an improved design I was told and much more durable. Apparently the passages inside are coated and shaped a bit larger to prevent excessive deposits from forming. Hey, of it wasn't for the chip shortage, it would probably not be so bad. It certainly sucks no question. Sigh... The world is in a stupid place right now thanks to COVID.

·
Registered
4 Posts
'17 Volt Premier
We have the same problem and contacted GM directly and got the same ship date. Sounds like they are going to need a lot of them.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Steve
I also believe that the BECM are Vin Coded to the vehicle. New one is needed, cant just put in a used one (unless you know the secret handshake to clear the vin out of the old one).😉

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think it's like the EGR's. The new ones are an improved design I was told and much more durable. Apparently the passages inside are coated and shaped a bit larger to prevent excessive deposits from forming.
To me EGR means "Exhaust Gas Recirculation". Is that what it means in this context? I'm guessing not, since I can't think of a connection between the Battery Control Module and an EGR valve.
Unless the "E" in BECM means "Engine". But then wouldn't an EGR valve problem only manifest itself when the engine is running?

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
599 Posts
Word on Facebook is that 156 are shipping the week of 9/7 and 600 more the week of 9/20.

·
Registered
31 Posts
9/23 and the dealership wouldn't say my module shipped on the expected 9/20 date. But vaguely assured me it should be here 'soon'.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts