GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

A couple weeks ago I noticed that when I turned on my volt (2017, 42k mi) the EV range was at 1 mi, then over 20 seconds slowly ramped up to full range. This happened a few times. The check-engine-light illuminated. Codes were as follows; P1E00, U2619, U2620, U2621, U2622, U2623, U2624.

A few days after, I got the dreaded shift-to-park... deep in a parking garage where towing would be a pain. Plus I was late to pick up my kids. Fortunately, after about 5 minutes of desperate power cycling and shifting... it started in gas mode. Drove it home. Turned it off. Started again right away. Next day, did the same shift-to-park thing, and also was able to get it to start in gas mode after many tries... enough to drive it to the dealership.

So far the dealership has told me it's likely a battery or controller issue, but they don't know yet (my dealership has only one EV tech and it's slow getting service - not the EV tech's fault).

First question: thoughts on the above description about what might be going on?

Second question: the dealership told me the'll have to "reprogram" it, and that unfortunately that isn't covered by the 100k warrantly, rather the 3yr/36k warranty. That surprised me, as I thought anything broken on the propulsion system was covered by the 100k warrantly.

What also concerned me was they are charging me $300 to reprogram it... 2h of labor to reprogram @ $150/h. That doesn't seem right to me... that it takes 2h of labor to reprogram, and that $150/h is how much the labor would be.

Thoughts on that as well?

Would appreciate any insights, and I promise to follow-up on this thread with what ends up happening!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Codes starting with U26xx are 100% the infamous BECM failure that is turning into the common failure on 2017 Volts. It is 100% covered under the Voltec warranty. No charges for programming or anything else.

Tell the dealer to reference GM TSB 18-NA-261. It requires them to drop the battery out of the car, remove the cover and replace the Battery Energy Control Module (BECM).

If they still refuse to repair at no charge after reviewing that TSB, then find a different dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I provided the dealer with this information and they backed off of the programming labor and confirmed the BECM issue. I'll still follow up on this thread when it's resolved.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow-up, as promised. Got the Volt back today.

Diagnosis was "Battery Energy Control Module has internal short"

Service provided:
- Replace BECM
- Perform pin testing on all 96 cells
- Perform smoke test to verify no leaks in battery case
- Re-install battery and program modules.

Total charge would have been $1360 if not under warranty.

Looks like 6.3h of labor.

Parts: 024296900 Module, z5000, 012378390 coolant, 011517042 bolt.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,074 Posts
looks like my 2017 has the same problem
battery bars are full but electric range is 1
car would not move
cycled ignition no a/c
cycled ignition again no power steering
checked codes, u2617 to u2624 plus the numbers in between
cleared codes, but 4 were permanent
was able to drive to dealership
gave them the list of codes I deleted and the tsb #18na261
three hours later was informed a module was on order
thank you forum, that was cool for me
no mention of costs either

·
Banned
154 Posts
........Second question: the dealership told me the'll have to "reprogram" it, and that unfortunately that isn't covered by the 100k warrantly, rather the 3yr/36k warranty. That surprised me, as I thought anything broken on the propulsion system was covered by the 100k warrantly.

What also concerned me was they are charging me $300 to reprogram it... 2h of labor to reprogram @ $150/h. That doesn't seem right to me... that it takes 2h of labor to reprogram, and that $150/h is how much the labor would be.

Would appreciate any insights, and I promise to follow-up on this thread with what ends up happening!

Thanks in advance.
That dealership is crooked as hell and trying to rip you off. It disgusts me the lenghts they will go to, with lies and deception, to take peoples money. Call them out on it, press the issue and they'll make up an excuse or act like your're the troublemaker.

·
Banned
154 Posts
........Second question: the dealership told me the'll have to "reprogram" it, and that unfortunately that isn't covered by the 100k warrantly, rather the 3yr/36k warranty. That surprised me, as I thought anything broken on the propulsion system was covered by the 100k warrantly.

Thanks in advance.
That dealership is crooked as hell and trying to rip you off. It disgusts me the lenghts they will go to with lies and deception to take people's money.
And I bet they'll call you in a week as a reminder about the Customer Satisfaction Survey they want 5 stars on...blah.blah.blah....for the Dealership Presidential Award

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 Volt LT, 49600 miles:
I had the same codes U2619, U2620,U2621, U2622, U2623 throw the check engine light, then the light went away, 4 days later and several hundred miles it popped up again.
This time it wouldn't let me drive.
Had Onstar tow it to the dealership; by the time the tow truck arrived, it was able to be driven onto the flatbed.

Failure: Interal Failure on BECM

Corrective measures:
5031010 - Battery Energy Control Module Replacement Covered under warranty
Performed smoke test, filled coolant system, cleared codes.

$zero dollars out of pocket and several days without a vehicle because I brought it in on a Friday.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes starting with U26xx are 100% the infamous BECM failure that is turning into the common failure on 2017 Volts. It is 100% covered under the Voltec warranty. No charges for programming or anything else.

Tell the dealer to reference GM TSB 18-NA-261. It requires them to drop the battery out of the car, remove the cover and replace the Battery Energy Control Module (BECM).

If they still refuse to repair at no charge after reviewing that TSB, then find a different dealer.

Hi all-

A couple weeks ago I noticed that when I turned on my volt (2017, 42k mi) the EV range was at 1 mi, then over 20 seconds slowly ramped up to full range. This happened a few times. The check-engine-light illuminated. Codes were as follows; P1E00, U2619, U2620, U2621, U2622, U2623, U2624.

A few days after, I got the dreaded shift-to-park... deep in a parking garage where towing would be a pain. Plus I was late to pick up my kids. Fortunately, after about 5 minutes of desperate power cycling and shifting... it started in gas mode. Drove it home. Turned it off. Started again right away. Next day, did the same shift-to-park thing, and also was able to get it to start in gas mode after many tries... enough to drive it to the dealership.

So far the dealership has told me it's likely a battery or controller issue, but they don't know yet (my dealership has only one EV tech and it's slow getting service - not the EV tech's fault).

First question: thoughts on the above description about what might be going on?

Second question: the dealership told me the'll have to "reprogram" it, and that unfortunately that isn't covered by the 100k warrantly, rather the 3yr/36k warranty. That surprised me, as I thought anything broken on the propulsion system was covered by the 100k warrantly.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Hey, sorry to hijack this thread.

2017 Volt LT 62094 Miles

I just got the first code P1E00 yesterday and now I am stranded at work with the additional U26xx codes, it won't start and I am where it will be a pain to get a tow. Is this situation jumpable or should I just call for the tow and wait it all out?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey, sorry to hijack this thread.

2017 Volt LT 62094 Miles

I just got the first code P1E00 yesterday and now I am stranded at work with the additional U26xx codes, it won't start and I am where it will be a pain to get a tow. Is this situation jumpable or should I just call for the tow and wait it all out?
Some have had success disconnecting the 12v battery for a bit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts