GM Volt Forum banner

2017 Battery Energy Control Module replacement BECM

92271 231
I have a 2017 with 36k. I didn't find much on here about this and I'm curious who else has gone through this, and what this means long term.

I had a few instances where the Check engine light came on and the car shifted over to the generator, even though there was more then 50% battery life. Thankfully I never got stranded. The first few times I brought it in they just updated the software and told me I should be good to go. The third time I took it to a different dealer and they diagnosed it as a full replacement , bulletin 18-na-261.

The dealer handled it well, got a loaner and 6 days later I'm back on the road. They had to do the battery to access it.The dealer said it was very rare. But I have trust issues with dealers, lol.

So,
- how common is this?
- long term issues?
- any possible damage to the battery?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Reactions: Hurnbyr
141 - 160 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
In Chilliwack. Into week 3 of my wait.
My 2017 volt is now suffering from this issue. The CEL illuminated. It went in to a no start/shift to park until I disconnected/reconnected the battery. Then the display read 1 mile range even with the battery fully charged. Then the reduced propulsion message displayed and the engine started which allowed me to move the car without using the battery. The local dealer looked at my car and referenced the dreaded "18-NA-261" service bulletin and stated the part needed was on "National Allocation".

Lately, the car has been powering up normally as long as I plug the car in while powered on and power it up before I unplug it. I don't know how long this will last judging by the other posts I have read. The local dealer cleared the DTC codes and printed a diagnostic report for me that shows: "P1E00, U2603-U2624"

The worst issue for me is that none of the local dealers have the equipment needed to remove/replace the hybrid battery. I have to transport the car 150 miles to Mark Wahlberg Chevrolet in Columbus, Ohio to get it replaced. Once the care is there, the whole process starts over. They must read the DTC codes for themselves because they don't trust what the other dealer found. If the car stats normally for them they may refuse to repair it after it travels 150 miles and sits in their lot for a week. If this occurs, then what would I do next?? This system really Stinks!!! GM has abandoned all of us!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like you have a good, honest dealer. Stick with him!
I just took my car in last week for a check engine and they've confirmed the same energy control module needs to be replaced but is back ordered. I took it to Riverside Chevrolet and the part is back ordered. Estimated ETA December. My shifter was replaced last year while I brought it in for a routine oil change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been waiting over 3 weeks for my BECM and I have no idea how long it will be. But, I wanted to see if anyone else notices the same behavior as in my car. The biggest problem is when powering up the car. It rarely powers up properly. But, I have noticed that if the car is plugged in constantly, it will always power up and operate the way it is supposed to. Apparently the module shuts off when the car is both unplugged and turned off. If you never allow the BECM to shut down, the car will always operate normally.
So, if you always plug it in before you turn it off and you always turn it back on before unplugging it, the car always operates normally.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have been waiting over 3 weeks for my BECM and I have no idea how long it will be. But, I wanted to see if anyone else notices the same behavior as in my car. The biggest problem is when powering up the car. It rarely powers up properly. But, I have noticed that if the car is plugged in constantly, it will always power up and operate the way it is supposed to. Apparently the module shuts off when the car is both unplugged and turned off. If you never allow the BECM to shut down, the car will always operate normally.
So, if you always plug it in before you turn it off and you always turn it back on before unplugging it, the car always operates normally.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?
From your description, I would change the 12v battery first. I'm fairly certain that the 12v is tendered by the battery and/or charger when it is running and while it is plugged in. If your car acts odd ONLY when it is not plugged in, then that could be a clue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the "shift to park" along with a raft of other codes. ((U2604/5/6, U2617/18/19/20/21/22/23/24, P1E60/61). My 2018 went into reduced power mode, zero electric range and refused to charge. I got an appointment relatively quickly and they had it for 2 weeks ( they (GM) gave me a free loaner car). They replaced the BECM and a section of the battery. I have 13,700 miles on it with most of those being on electric. Since it's return, it seems like the electric range went down (could be due to weather) and the regen in "L" doesn't seem to be as aggressive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
From your description, I would change the 12v battery first. I'm fairly certain that the 12v is tendered by the battery and/or charger when it is running and while it is plugged in. If your car acts odd ONLY when it is not plugged in, then that could be a clue.
I got lucky. They found a new BECM at another dealership. My car is fixed!. I didn't need to replace the 12v battery, but I know I will need to replace it eventually. At least I can replace the 12v battery myself. It took 28 days to find a new BECM and replace it. But, I consider myself lucky. Others have waited a lot longer. GM needs to issue a recall or at least offer to replace the module when it fails after the car is out of its warranty period. The cost of the part isn't the problem. It's the labor associated with replacing it. I don't know of any home mechanics that are comfortable with replacing the BECM. You have to take it to a dealer and about 2/3 of the dealerships aren't even equipped to drop the hybrid battery and replace the BECM.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got lucky. They found a new BECM at another dealership. My car is fixed!. I didn't need to replace the 12v battery, but I know I will need to replace it eventually. At least I can replace the 12v battery myself. It took 28 days to find a new BECM and replace it. But, I consider myself lucky. Others have waited a lot longer. GM needs to issue a recall or at least offer to replace the module when it fails after the car is out of its warranty period. The cost of the part isn't the problem. It's the labor associated with replacing it. I don't know of any home mechanics that are comfortable with replacing the BECM. You have to take it to a dealer and about 2/3 of the dealerships aren't even equipped to drop the hybrid battery and replace the BECM.
Wow! Thank you for the info. It makes sense, but, I've never seen BECM issues present in that manner.

Yeah, DIYing the battery R&R will require at least a couple of good tools (lift table and Software/Connectors to run the battery coolant purge cycle)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have just had this same issue and got a new BECM at the dealer. 2017 with 63k miles. Symptoms very similar to original post except the car did leave my wife stranded in the road. I eventually got it moving again and to the dealer. The car was only in for repair for 2 days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 LT with just under 95k miles went in this morning, and I'm told they are replacing the BECM (which is on backorder). My symptoms started a couple weeks ago when I started the car and it kept telling me to shift back to park. I noticed that the propulsion battery read full on the gauge cluster, even though I had just driven the car almost 40 miles without recharging. A couple power-down cycles later (turning the car off, opening the door and waiting a few seconds before retrying) and the battery gauge read properly and the car started up, running off the ICE though - with the CEL lit. The next restart cycle the car acted normal, but the CEL was still lit. Within about a day the CEL went off and everything was acting fine. The following week, same exact pattern happened. Last night I had to run out on an errand, and when I got in the car the battery showed to be exhausted even though it had been on charge all day. The ICE took over and the CEL came on and I was able to run my errand, already knowing that I had to get this looked at. When I got back home and plugged the car in to charge, the charger didn't even engage. Several unplug/replugs later, still nothing. At that point I had already decided that my first trip in the morning was to the service dept to get it checked out. Then, this morning when I go to leave, when I unplug the car I get the text message that charging had been interrupted... I get in the car, hit the start button and everything comes on, but the shifter will not move. Battery shows full. I pop the hood, the ICE does not come on.. I go through several shutdown, open door, restart cycles and finally about 20 minutes later I get the ICE to engage. I made my way into the dealership solely on ICE, with it griping about reduced propulsion off and on the whole way. Anytime I tapped the regenerative brake on the steering wheel (habits) the ICE would rev up but the car wouldn't slow and it almost felt like the engine had disconnected from the rest of the drivetrain when I gave it gas again - it would do a little stall/lunge thing and then go. Battery still shows full, but yeah - it's acting wonky as hell. So anyway, they've ordered a new BECM for it and I guess we'll see where this goes. Fortunately I have a 180k comprehensive extended warranty. Guess I'm also pretty lucky that this problem didn't exhibit until over 90k miles. From what I gather, this is being handled under the Voltec warranty at this point.

·
Registered
2017 Volt LT
430 Posts
Charging patterns will not affect this problem. It's not a battery issue.

My '17 LT has just joined the "Dead BECM" club at 47,586 miles. I haven't contacted a dealer yet, as I'm new to my area and am hoping someone can recommend a good (i.e., Volt-savy) dealership in the Canto/Kennesaw/Woodstock/Marietta area of north Atlanta...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2017 chevy volt with 49k miles, it has been at dealer for 30 days now waiting on BECM part to come in. No loaner car (because they don't have any) I called GM they cant give me any time frame in which the part might come in and offered absolutely no help whatsoever.

·
Registered
2017 Volt LT
430 Posts
I have a 2017 chevy volt with 49k miles, it has been at dealer for 30 days now waiting on BECM part to come in. No loaner car (because they don't have any) I called GM they cant give me any time frame in which the part might come in and offered absolutely no help whatsoever.
I find it interesting that so many of these BECM failures are occurring at somewhere around this same mileage.

I'm researching which of my area dealerships is the most Volt-friendly before calling them. And when I do, I'll want to make it clear that the car won't be sitting at the dealer while awaiting the part.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I find it interesting that so many of these BECM failures are occurring at somewhere around this same mileage.

I'm researching which of my area dealerships is the most Volt-friendly before calling them. And when I do, I'll want to make it clear that the car won't be sitting at the dealer while awaiting the part.
I joined "this club a week ago" - the BECM on my 2017 Volt failed a week ago. As with most of you, the module is on back order with no delivery date in sight. I asked for a loaner and my service advisor said I'm in the queue for a loaner car as there has been too many requests for existing loaner pool. Anybody had any luck in getting the dealer to set up a rental paid for by GM for this situation?

·
Registered
11 Posts
2017 Premier with 40,000 miles just went in for EGR valve & cooler replacement (no warranty, $1700 bucks, ugh). Tech ran into this issue when trying to start the car for the first time after the EGR replacement. Confirmed codes from TSB and ordered BECM. Now I wait.

still no part in sight. GM won't even promise that they will ever get the part. Now been at dealer service for 47 days.
Holy crap! Apparently I'll be waiting a long time!

Was told it would not affect driveability so they made me turn in the loaner and drive the Volt home. Let's see how long until I run into the issues described in this thread. For the record, I never had the issue myself. It was just the tech who worked on the EGR replacement that found the issue.

Was also told that when (if?) the part shows up, it's a "quick" job that I'll just be able to wait for rather than getting a loaner. These guys obviously have no idea what they're talking about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2017 Premier with 40,000 miles just went in for EGR valve & cooler replacement (no warranty, $1700 bucks, ugh). Tech ran into this issue when trying to start the car for the first time after the EGR replacement. Confirmed codes from TSB and ordered BECM. Now I wait.

Holy crap! Apparently I'll be waiting a long time!

Was told it would not affect driveability so they made me turn in the loaner and drive the Volt home. Let's see how long until I run into the issues described in this thread. For the record, I never had the issue myself. It was just the tech who worked on the EGR replacement that found the issue.

Was also told that when (if?) the part shows up, it's a "quick" job that I'll just be able to wait for rather than getting a loaner. These guys obviously have no idea what they're talking about.
I now have been waiting 65 days with car at dealer, still no part in sight. I was told some people have been waiting 6 months.

141 - 160 of 232 Posts