GM Volt Forum banner
121 - 140 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello there, I need new BECM part for my Volt 2016. Can someone tell me trusted seller or website, from which I can order it?
I took my 2017 to a Chevy dealer and the replacement was free. They also replaced the shifter which was an unrelated part that had failed and didn’t charge me for that either, even though I was out of the bumper to bumper warranty. The dealer had trouble getting a BECM but found one at another dealer who shipped it to them. Apparently the nationwide chip shortage has caused a shortage of BECM’s too. Unless I were going to replace it myself I’d allow the dealer to supply the part as they’d be responsible if the new one failed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This happened to me as well. Bad battery control module after hard time starting up my 2017 volt. Took it in to casa Chevrolet in Albuquerque and have been waiting for over 2 weeks for the part to come in. Car is still under warranty.. no rental car was given. Apparently GM is having trouble getting this part.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I took my 2017 to a Chevy dealer and the replacement was free. They also replaced the shifter which was an unrelated part that had failed and didn’t charge me for that either, even though I was out of the bumper to bumper warranty.
If your shifter problem was the "shift to park", it is covered under the Voltec warranty, not the bumper to bumper.

Reactions: FlintHillsSky

·
Registered
171 Posts
That was the problem. Thanks, I didn't know that so I lived with the problem for about a year. The dealer saw it in the error log and replaced it without asking.
Sounds like you have a good, honest dealer. Stick with him!

Reactions: Bill Step

·
Registered
3 Posts
This happened to me as well. Bad battery control module after hard time starting up my 2017 volt. Took it in to casa Chevrolet in Albuquerque and have been waiting for over 2 weeks for the part to come in. Car is still under warranty.. no rental car was given. Apparently GM is having trouble getting this part.
SSchaef - did your part come in yet? I'm in the same boat here in San Diego. Two weeks and waiting for a replacement battery control module. No loaner, no updates on ETA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
SSchaef - did your part come in yet? I'm in the same boat here in San Diego. Two weeks and waiting for a replacement battery control module. No loaner, no updates on ETA.
Still no part and no ETA. I called the GM 1800 number and was told that a “senior” advisor would call me back in a couple days and got a case #. I never heard back from an advisor but called gm a week later and had to text with an advisor who told me my advisor would call me back in 24 hours... so I have a lot of advisors.. including one at the dealership and none of them can really advise me on anything. I did end up getting a loaner because the car is under warranty and I told them I would rent a car if one wasn’t provided for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Still no part and no ETA. I called the GM 1800 number and was told that a “senior” advisor would call me back in a couple days and got a case #. I never heard back from an advisor but called gm a week later and had to text with an advisor who told me my advisor would call me back in 24 hours... so I have a lot of advisors.. including one at the dealership and none of them can really advise me on anything. I did end up getting a loaner because the car is under warranty and I told them I would rent a car if one wasn’t provided for me.
Aww. That's so frustrating. After leaving a message yesterday, I finally got a call from my service advisor this morning saying the part arrived yesterday evening and I should have my car back by the end of the day tomorrow. I asked them to look at the "Shift to Park" issue that happens every once in a while. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aww. That's so frustrating. After leaving a message yesterday, I finally got a call from my service advisor this morning saying the part arrived yesterday evening and I should have my car back by the end of the day tomorrow. I asked them to look at the "Shift to Park" issue that happens every once in a while. Good luck.
My 2017 Volt's BECM just failed. I have 65,000 km (40,400 mi) on my vehicle. According to the dealer, due to the shortage of microchips in the world, the replacement BECMs are on backorder, and he predicts its going to be months before anything comes in. Apparently, in the greater Vancouver region (where I am), there are multiple backorders... Sigh. This seems to be a very common problem seeing the number of responses on this thread (and on the 2018 thread too).

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2017 Volt's BECM just failed. I have 65,000 km (40,400 mi) on my vehicle. According to the dealer, due to the shortage of microchips in the world, the replacement BECMs are on backorder, and he predicts its going to be months before anything comes in. Apparently, in the greater Vancouver region (where I am), there are multiple backorders... Sigh. This seems to be a very common problem seeing the number of responses on this thread (and on the 2018 thread too).
That's sad to hear Alex_Volt_2017_owner. Prior to this issue, I was quite happy with my Chevy Volt. The quality of the customer service and maintenance at the Chevy dealerships that I've been to has always been spotty at best. You should push for a loaner vehicle if they don't give you one. I hope to get my car back today. However, I think this will my last GM/Chevy vehicle given the poor communication and inability of GM/Chevy to manage their parts quality and supply chain.

·
Registered
991 Posts
That's sad to hear Alex_Volt_2017_owner. Prior to this issue, I was quite happy with my Chevy Volt. The quality of the customer service and maintenance at the Chevy dealerships that I've been to has always been spotty at best. You should push for a loaner vehicle if they don't give you one. I hope to get my car back today. However, I think this will my last GM/Chevy vehicle given the poor communication and inability of GM/Chevy to manage their parts quality and supply chain.
To be fair, the entire world is facing a microchip shortage, so this isn't strictly GM's fault.

Believe me, I've been annoyed with GM and their failure to communicate and solve problems, but this is one instance where you can't put all the blame on them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To be fair, the entire world is facing a microchip shortage, so this isn't strictly GM's fault.

Believe me, I've been annoyed with GM and their failure to communicate and solve problems, but this is one instance where you can't put all the blame on them.
I'm trying to make lighter of the situation... you could say our car "caught COVID".

Just an update. It's been three weeks now since I've handed our Volt over to the GM dealership to wait for the BECM replacement. They did agree to provide us with a Buick Encore loaner vehicle for the time being. While I am appreciative of that, the vehicle is only fitted with all-season M+S tires. While this is generally fine for fall, and fine for Vancouver, all-seasons are less safe for our mountain roads when you leave the city. Without an estimated repair date, I'm not sure how long I'm going to be driving the loaner into the winter. I will ask Chevy to upgrade the tires to true winter tires in a month's time if my Volt is still not repaired. Also, after driving the Volt around for 4 years, mostly in-city, I feel bad driving around in a gas-powered vehicle. I hope they find a way to address the semi-conductor shortage soon.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I'm trying to make lighter of the situation... you could say our car "caught COVID".

Just an update. It's been three weeks now since I've handed our Volt over to the GM dealership to wait for the BECM replacement. They did agree to provide us with a Buick Encore loaner vehicle for the time being. While I am appreciative of that, the vehicle is only fitted with all-season M+S tires. While this is generally fine for fall, and fine for Vancouver, all-seasons are less safe for our mountain roads when you leave the city. Without an estimated repair date, I'm not sure how long I'm going to be driving the loaner into the winter. I will ask Chevy to upgrade the tires to true winter tires in a month's time if my Volt is still not repaired. Also, after driving the Volt around for 4 years, mostly in-city, I feel bad driving around in a gas-powered vehicle. I hope they find a way to address the semi-conductor shortage soon.
All season tires are not necessarily M+S tires. M+S tires are good for winter travel (minimally) as well as winter tires. M+S tires have a snowflake symbol on the side although mine only have the M+S on the side. They are minimal requirement if they have enough tread depth (3.5mm). Meant for occasional driving on snow/ice. You can get away with them going over the Malahat (where you only get occasional snow) I wouldn't use them on the Coquihalla in winter (it gets pretty deep pretty quick, they don't call it Highway Thru Hell for nothing). They should be fine in Fraser Delta unless you have to go out in that bad snowstorm you might get once or twice a year. Of course driving in the snow with anything is dangerous at first snowfall. I remember driving in Calgary, we'd get about three "first snowfalls" every winter with their chinooks and at the start of every one there would be a rash of accidents as people got used to going from dry pavement to snow packed ice on the roads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My just went out last Thursday (10/7/21) with 65k miles. Towed it the the dealership closes by. They diagnosed the BECM was defective and they no part available, and their few car ahead of me had wait for > month still seating in the lot waiting for part. My car have been out of commission for >week and they can’t find me a rental. Been taking to the dealer and GM relationship department daily they push me back and forth. I’m thinking to file a law suit against GM on this issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My (lemon) early 2017 Premier had that failure and a bunch of others. Put in a lemon law claim and GM agreed. Am now driving one of the last 2019's and loving it. I had to give up my beloved Citron Green Metallic but I got ACC, power seats and faster L2 charging among others.
My 2017 now at 41K mi that I bought 18 months ago with 18.5K mi just had this happen. Module is on back order (as is everything these days). Clearly I am past the 3 yr/ 36K mi warranty. Anyone know if this is part of the Voltec warranty?

·
Registered
12 Posts
In Chilliwack. Into week 3 of my wait.

121 - 140 of 227 Posts