GM Volt Forum banner
121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does the new recall help in detecting this issue earlier, or is it only for battery monitoring?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello there, I need new BECM part for my Volt 2016. Can someone tell me trusted seller or website, from which I can order it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello there, I need new BECM part for my Volt 2016. Can someone tell me trusted seller or website, from which I can order it?
I took my 2017 to a Chevy dealer and the replacement was free. They also replaced the shifter which was an unrelated part that had failed and didn’t charge me for that either, even though I was out of the bumper to bumper warranty. The dealer had trouble getting a BECM but found one at another dealer who shipped it to them. Apparently the nationwide chip shortage has caused a shortage of BECM’s too. Unless I were going to replace it myself I’d allow the dealer to supply the part as they’d be responsible if the new one failed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got my 2017 diagnosed with bad BECM. 65K but having symptoms for a while with the shift to park error. Dealer has 4 cars ahead of me waiting on the same part. Calling around now to see if I can find a module.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This happened to me as well. Bad battery control module after hard time starting up my 2017 volt. Took it in to casa Chevrolet in Albuquerque and have been waiting for over 2 weeks for the part to come in. Car is still under warranty.. no rental car was given. Apparently GM is having trouble getting this part.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I took my 2017 to a Chevy dealer and the replacement was free. They also replaced the shifter which was an unrelated part that had failed and didn’t charge me for that either, even though I was out of the bumper to bumper warranty.
If your shifter problem was the "shift to park", it is covered under the Voltec warranty, not the bumper to bumper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If your shifter problem was the "shift to park", it is covered under the Voltec warranty, not the bumper to bumper.
That was the problem. Thanks, I didn't know that so I lived with the problem for about a year. The dealer saw it in the error log and replaced it without asking.

·
Registered
154 Posts
That was the problem. Thanks, I didn't know that so I lived with the problem for about a year. The dealer saw it in the error log and replaced it without asking.
Sounds like you have a good, honest dealer. Stick with him!

Reactions: Bill Step

·
Registered
3 Posts
This happened to me as well. Bad battery control module after hard time starting up my 2017 volt. Took it in to casa Chevrolet in Albuquerque and have been waiting for over 2 weeks for the part to come in. Car is still under warranty.. no rental car was given. Apparently GM is having trouble getting this part.
SSchaef - did your part come in yet? I'm in the same boat here in San Diego. Two weeks and waiting for a replacement battery control module. No loaner, no updates on ETA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
SSchaef - did your part come in yet? I'm in the same boat here in San Diego. Two weeks and waiting for a replacement battery control module. No loaner, no updates on ETA.
Still no part and no ETA. I called the GM 1800 number and was told that a “senior” advisor would call me back in a couple days and got a case #. I never heard back from an advisor but called gm a week later and had to text with an advisor who told me my advisor would call me back in 24 hours... so I have a lot of advisors.. including one at the dealership and none of them can really advise me on anything. I did end up getting a loaner because the car is under warranty and I told them I would rent a car if one wasn’t provided for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Still no part and no ETA. I called the GM 1800 number and was told that a “senior” advisor would call me back in a couple days and got a case #. I never heard back from an advisor but called gm a week later and had to text with an advisor who told me my advisor would call me back in 24 hours... so I have a lot of advisors.. including one at the dealership and none of them can really advise me on anything. I did end up getting a loaner because the car is under warranty and I told them I would rent a car if one wasn’t provided for me.
Aww. That's so frustrating. After leaving a message yesterday, I finally got a call from my service advisor this morning saying the part arrived yesterday evening and I should have my car back by the end of the day tomorrow. I asked them to look at the "Shift to Park" issue that happens every once in a while. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aww. That's so frustrating. After leaving a message yesterday, I finally got a call from my service advisor this morning saying the part arrived yesterday evening and I should have my car back by the end of the day tomorrow. I asked them to look at the "Shift to Park" issue that happens every once in a while. Good luck.
My 2017 Volt's BECM just failed. I have 65,000 km (40,400 mi) on my vehicle. According to the dealer, due to the shortage of microchips in the world, the replacement BECMs are on backorder, and he predicts its going to be months before anything comes in. Apparently, in the greater Vancouver region (where I am), there are multiple backorders... Sigh. This seems to be a very common problem seeing the number of responses on this thread (and on the 2018 thread too).

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2017 Volt's BECM just failed. I have 65,000 km (40,400 mi) on my vehicle. According to the dealer, due to the shortage of microchips in the world, the replacement BECMs are on backorder, and he predicts its going to be months before anything comes in. Apparently, in the greater Vancouver region (where I am), there are multiple backorders... Sigh. This seems to be a very common problem seeing the number of responses on this thread (and on the 2018 thread too).
That's sad to hear Alex_Volt_2017_owner. Prior to this issue, I was quite happy with my Chevy Volt. The quality of the customer service and maintenance at the Chevy dealerships that I've been to has always been spotty at best. You should push for a loaner vehicle if they don't give you one. I hope to get my car back today. However, I think this will my last GM/Chevy vehicle given the poor communication and inability of GM/Chevy to manage their parts quality and supply chain.

·
Registered
910 Posts
That's sad to hear Alex_Volt_2017_owner. Prior to this issue, I was quite happy with my Chevy Volt. The quality of the customer service and maintenance at the Chevy dealerships that I've been to has always been spotty at best. You should push for a loaner vehicle if they don't give you one. I hope to get my car back today. However, I think this will my last GM/Chevy vehicle given the poor communication and inability of GM/Chevy to manage their parts quality and supply chain.
To be fair, the entire world is facing a microchip shortage, so this isn't strictly GM's fault.

Believe me, I've been annoyed with GM and their failure to communicate and solve problems, but this is one instance where you can't put all the blame on them.

121 - 134 of 134 Posts