U2620$07EC
U2621$07EC
U2622$07EC
U2623$07EC
U2624$07EC

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 2017 Volt, with 70,000Km, built late May 2016, had its BECM replaced last month as well.
It started by the car having a full charge on the guessometer, and running on the ICE. I was running errands at the time, so I was doing only 2-3 Km trips. Every time I went to do another trip, it varied between this problem and working normal, for about 4 times. I got Onstar to diagnose the problem, and was told I needed to get the car to a dealer to look at it(and I did a week later). The car then worked normally, but had the CEL on for 2 days, then the CEL went out. A day before my appointment, the CEL came back on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2017 Volt, built August 2016, 66,000 miles, original California owner. Engine light came on day before yesterday. Pulled codes, P1E00 and U2619-U2624. I didn't wait for any additional symptoms. Called dealer service and told my advisor that I believe my BECM has failed, a known problem. He tells me it is not a known problem and I should bring it in for diagnosis. Took it straight in and signed a work order for a $200 diagnosis fee (if repair is not covered by warranty). Two hours later he calls me and says that I had it right, and that they have a BECM in stock, and that they can repair it tomorrow (yesterday), covered under warranty, and that his Volt guy has done a lot of them (so much for "not a known problem"). Two o'clock yesterday he calls that my car is ready. I go straight down to get it, he informs me that their (covered under warranty) charge came to $1769. Car is acting normally and driving fine. Concord Chevrolet, Concord, CA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 with 36k. I didn't find much on here about this and I'm curious who else has gone through this, and what this means long term.

I had a few instances where the Check engine light came on and the car shifted over to the generator, even though there was more then 50% battery life. Thankfully I never got stranded. The first few times I brought it in they just updated the software and told me I should be good to go. The third time I took it to a different dealer and they diagnosed it as a full replacement , bulletin 18-na-261.

The dealer handled it well, got a loaner and 6 days later I'm back on the road. They had to do the battery to access it.The dealer said it was very rare. But I have trust issues with dealers, lol.

So,
  • how common is this?
  • long term issues?
  • any possible damage to the battery?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
I have a 2017 with 36k. I didn't find much on here about this and I'm curious who else has gone through this, and what this means long term.

I had a few instances where the Check engine light came on and the car shifted over to the generator, even though there was more then 50% battery life. Thankfully I never got stranded. The first few times I brought it in they just updated the software and told me I should be good to go. The third time I took it to a different dealer and they diagnosed it as a full replacement , bulletin 18-na-261.

The dealer handled it well, got a loaner and 6 days later I'm back on the road. They had to do the battery to access it.The dealer said it was very rare. But I have trust issues with dealers, lol.

So,
  • how common is this?
  • long term issues?

I have a 2016 Volt. It hit 101K miles this week and the BECM has failed. Had 50+ error codes, wouldn't charge or drive. It's over the warranty by 1000 miles, so it will cost $2600 to replace and 3-4 days. I was able to drive it for a short while by disconnecting the 12V battery for a short time and reconnecting.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt LT
239 Posts
Makes me wonder if these BECMs were made to "self destruct" at some point after warranty for future revenue stream for Chevy......
just have some of them so out before the warranty to throw off the regulators.....
can probably add some lines of code to the software to make them fail?

I already had a high-power control module go out in my Volt, had to drop battery to fix.

I have little confidence now in the long-term reliability outlook for my 2018 Volt, which is severely disappointing. ....
I had hoped the Volt would be a very long-lasting car as the gas engine does not get fired up just for short trips......
therefore prolonging its lifespan.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt LT
239 Posts
I wonder..... is there something these particular Volt owners are doing to hasten the BECM going out?
using mountain mode all the time?
never pluggin in the car?
driving in sport mode all the time?

not that it is their fault, just wondering what is going on here.....

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I think the Chinese have hacked the GM servers and have installed the insidious code to download into the Volt to knock out the BECM after warranty. They added code to only do it on US cars. Canadian cars have different code because of different regulations of the country so it doesn't get downloaded to them as they don't shout "National Security Risk!" every time they can't compete in a particular technology.

Reactions: bentbiker

·
Registered
2 Posts

So,
  • how common is this?
  • long term issues?

·
Registered
2 Posts

So,
  • how common is this?
  • long term issues?

replaced under warranty at 107000kms. same day... at dealer same Bulletin.
1611202073352.png

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 2016 Volt. It hit 101K miles this week and the BECM has failed. Had 50+ error codes, wouldn't charge or drive. It's over the warranty by 1000 miles, so it will cost $2600 to replace and 3-4 days. I was able to drive it for a short while by disconnecting the 12V battery for a short time and reconnecting.
please update. Can it be replaced with an used BECM from another Volt ? Thanks

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt LT
239 Posts
I think the Chinese have hacked the GM servers and have installed the insidious code to download into the Volt to knock out the BECM after warranty. They added code to only do it on US cars. Canadian cars have different code because of different regulations of the country so it doesn't get downloaded to them as they don't shout "National Security Risk!" every time they can't compete in a particular technology.
Ok?
I am not talking a software issue, I am talking a hardware design to fail after a certain time-period.
Can easily be done.
No way to prove it was done on purpose either.
More money for the manufacturer when all these Volt owners come back to get their car fixed.
Simple capitalism.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2017, late 2016 production, Volt with ~60K miles needed the BECM replaced this week.

The module is ~350 new most of the cost is in labor as they drop the hybrid battery to get to the module. A used module might work if you can reprogram it but why not get a new module that has probably had fixes applied.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I think it can, but the BECM failure is a design flaw, so I don't think I would take the time to swap out for a used one which would still have the same design flaw. The dealer did end up replacing it for free, since it looks like GM recoginizes that this is a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
152 Posts
On one of the FB Volt groups is a Volt dealer tech who said there was a batch of faulty BECM's made. He says he's never seen a replaced BECM fail. Yes, I had my BECM replaced under warranty and I feel sorry for those of you where this failure happened post warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our 2017 Volt has just developed this issue where the BECM has suddenly failed. My husband and his sister had driven 1000+ miles from home to visit their older sister when the car failed.

They were planning to leave for home today, but now they are stranded on the other side of the U. S., waiting for the Chevy dealer that has the car to let them know how soon they can get their hands on a replacement BECM. This means hotel expenses and, if the car isn't fixed within the next couple of days, maybe even a flight home for the sister who has upcoming obligations at home.

The car has about 38,000 miles on it, so, fortunately, the repair will be covered by the VoltTech warranty. However, does anyone know if the warranty will help reimburse unforeseen expenses, like hotel rooms, meals, flights, etc., which were necessitated by the car's failure?

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
642 Posts
Our 2017 Volt has just developed this issue where the BECM has suddenly failed. My husband and his sister had driven 1000+ miles from home to visit their older sister when the car failed.

They were planning to leave for home today, but now they are stranded on the other side of the U. S., waiting for the Chevy dealer that has the car to let them know how soon they can get their hands on a replacement BECM. This means hotel expenses and, if the car isn't fixed within the next couple of days, maybe even a flight home for the sister who has upcoming obligations at home.

The car has about 38,000 miles on it, so, fortunately, the repair will be covered by the VoltTech warranty. However, does anyone know if the warranty will help reimburse unforeseen expenses, like hotel rooms, meals, flights, etc., which were necessitated by the car's failure?
No, the warranty only covers the actual repair.

101 - 120 of 121 Posts