GM Volt Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seems like my 2017 with just under 47K miles is having the same problem. Had it plugged in overnight, but opening the door showed 1 mile on the GOM and an "unable to charge" message on the dash. When I fired it up, the check engine light came on with the P1E00 code, but the GOM was reading the correct approx 50 miles.

I managed to drive about 4 miles before the GOM suddenly dropped to 0 miles and the gas engine fired up, along with losing AC in about 95 degree heat. Drove the remaining 10 miles to the dealership with no AC and weird regen pulsing, just for them to turn me away and require an appointment tomorrow. Fired the car back up and drove about 30 miles normally in EV mode, and it appears to take a charge as well, but it's still showing all the underlying codes according to OnStar.

P1E00, U2603-U2606, U2617-U2624

I figure it's probably a bad idea to charge the car up, so I'm going to leave it for the night and head into the dealership again tomorrow and see if they can get me a loaner and mention the 18-NA-261 TSB.

Also, not sure if anyone is keeping track, but mine is definitely an early 2017 model as it didn't come with Android Auto when I bought it used last year.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The U26xx codes are the key indicator here. Those codes mean the BECM "lost communication" with the cell groups. (unable to read them) Definitely BECM failure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The U26xx codes are the key indicator here. Those codes mean the BECM "lost communication" with the cell groups. (unable to read them) Definitely BECM failure.
Yep, dropped it off with the dealership today, they're going to replace the BECM. CEL was off when I started the car up this morning, and car seemed to be totally normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the check engine light at 93k same U2619-U3624 codes. The dealer said since I cleared the codes they couldn't start work.. i called BS and it's good to hear they can be retrieved still. Time to find another dealer while the voltec warranty is still good.

2017 with 38K. Got the dreaded "Shift into Park" on the instrument panel, card would not go anywhere, showed 0 miles available on the battery. Used my OBD app on my phone to look at error codes, there were many. Cleared them, then car would start and run. Got email within a day from OnStar saying I should take the car for service within 7 days.

Made an appointment for the next day at my dealer (Quirk Chevy in Randolph MA) after verifying that their one Volt technician would be there. Brought it in at 9 AM, by 10 they told me they needed to keep it for a day and fixed me up with a (free) rental. Car was ready the next morning. Repair was covered under warranty, my only cost aside from time and inconvenience was $4 for gas for the rental. Good on Chevy and Quirk.

BTW, although I had cleared the error codes, they were able to recover them and just for the record they were:
P1E00, U2603, U2604, U2605, U2606, U2614, U2617, U2618, U2619, U2620, U2621, U2622, U2623

·
Registered
9 Posts
We had this happen over the weekend on our 2017 Premier with just over 73k miles. Thankfully it didn't happen on Friday when we were four hours from home in the middle of nowhere. My biggest concern is whether or not the revised BCM resolves the problem permanently, though I guess in the scheme of things it wouldn't be terrible having to pay for an out-of-warranty replacement if it happens again, since in three years of ownership we've had zero unscheduled maintenance on this car. Yes, there have been three (I think) recalls and some miscellaneous TSBs, but no real problems of which to speak.

Don't get me started on the pathetic Bose stereo, the poorly engineered infotainment system that starts playing content from your connected phone automatically when you turn on the car, turn off the car, open the door, etc., or the awful front seats. But from a reliability and cost of operation perspective, it's been great!

·
Registered
9 Posts
We had this happen over the weekend on our 2017 Premier with just over 73k miles. Thankfully it didn't happen on Friday when we were four hours from home in the middle of nowhere. My biggest concern is whether or not the revised BCM resolves the problem permanently, though I guess in the scheme of things it wouldn't be terrible having to pay for an out-of-warranty replacement if it happens again, since in three years of ownership we've had zero unscheduled maintenance on this car. Yes, there have been three (I think) recalls and some miscellaneous TSBs, but no real problems of which to speak.

Don't get me started on the pathetic Bose stereo, the poorly engineered infotainment system that starts playing content from your connected phone automatically when you turn on the car, turn off the car, open the door, etc., or the awful front seats. But from a reliability and cost of operation perspective, it's been great!
Got the car back yesterday with a new BCM, replaced under warranty. And they washed the car! Many thanks to Ira Jack Chevrolet in Saco, Maine, for the terrific service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just happened to me in my 2017 Volt. Same issues as everyone check engine light kept coming on and off at 47K miles. My battery would read full and then read empty or half way and back to full going from energy mode to hold mold and back and forth. I took it to dealer and they told me the energy control module needed to be replaced. Thankfully it was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So glad to have found this forum!

Add me to the list of 2017 Volts with BECM issues. Bought the car 10 months ago with 14,500 miles on the ticker (yeah, the previous owner didn't drive much), and just started getting the check engine light, then "Not able to charge" message–which is really odd because I was getting it without the charging cord plugged in. Tonight my kid drove the car to work and said it was ICE all the way even though the electric range said 50 miles earlier today. I just drove out to her work to be sure she'd be able to get home and it jumped from 0 miles back to 50 and she was able to drive home all electric.

EDIT: I brought the Volt to Century Chevrolet here in Colorado on Saturday. They told me it could be 7-10 days before a hybrid tech was free to look at it, and yet I got a call today that they replaced the BECM and performed the N192273600 recall and the car is ready to go. WOW!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just got my 2017 with about 40K miles out of the shop with the same issue. Almost no warning, one time it forced the ICE to run and no a/c. Shut it off and restarted it and it was fine, although the CE light was one. Getting ready to take it to the dealer the next day and was dead in the water. Had it towed in. At first they sad it was the 12v battery, but turned out to be this. Seems fine now, we'll see how she goes.

Kind of dissapointed in this Gen 2. Had a Gen 1 for four years with no issues whatsoever. So far in 10 months with this one, I've had the shift to park, adaptive cruise and now this issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, just found this forum. My 31K mile 2017 Volt is in the shop with this problem as we speak. First I had some trouble shifting to HOLD mode a few times. Then some weirdness starting the car. the CE light has been coming on, but a few times I fixed it by tightening the gas cap, so thought that was it. Then this week it was just randomly switching back and forth from battery to gas mode and Monday it took 10 tries to accept the charging plug at my office.

They fixed some valve first, which I didn't think made sense based on what was happening but was annoying because that part was on back order. I hope this takes care of all the weirdness that has been happening with the car for a couple months and getting worse. Fortunately my car is still under warranty at least. No-one offered me a loaner though. I am going to have to re-possess a 2004 Civic from my daughter for a couple of days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad to hear that.

Got my car back yesterday. That's when I heard about GM issuing a bulletin. Talked to the tech who worked on my car. Apparently, it's an electronic-based part and not mechanical at all. (Probably everybody else but me already knew this.) Car runs fine.
Mine is in the shop now, apparently my dealer did not see the bulletin until AFTER they replaces some other valve thing that was on back order.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine is in the shop now, apparently my dealer did not see the bulletin until AFTER they replaces some other valve thing that was on back order.
The valve could've been the N192273600 recall...? Mine was done at the same time the BECM was replaced on Monday.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I’m 99.99% confident I’m experiencing this issue too with my ‘17 Premier. I’ve been dealing with shift to park errors for months. I took it into the dealer and was charged for diagnosis and quoted hundreds for new shifter a couple months ago and didn’t do the repair. I’ve been getting by having to perform multiple attempts to get the car to recognise it’s in or out of park. I’ve now learned there’s a TSB for this and it should be covered under Voltec so I’m a little peeved it wasn’t recognised and properly addressed by the dealer.

Over the past couple weeks I’ve had problems move beyond shift to park. I’ve had a lot of problems getting the car to start. I never noticed but in hindsight I’m guessing it never get to ready when it’s in this state. The dash lights up and it will let you physically shift out of park but the car won’t move. It’s like it’s an ICE car and it won’t move out of accessory mode and start the engine. I’ve also had the EV battery range listed zero despite being fully charged over night and showing full bars. I’ve had the range climb up from zero upon restart. I’ve had the infotainment say it’s unable to charge. It’s started a few times after multiple attempts but only in gasoline hybrid mode despite a full EV battery. I’ve gotten by thus far by disconnectong the 12 volt battery waiting a couple minutes and trying multiple restarts. I also replaced the 12 volt battery over the weekend and the problems persist so I doubt it’s the 12 volt. Yesterday on the highway the ACC abruptly cut out and I got a service parking brake error on the dash which is new. ACC will also now longer engage.

I’ve got an appointment to take it to the dealer tomorrow but I’m wondering if anyone has a copy or link of the TSB for 18-NA-261 being referenced here—I’ve been unable to track it down unlike the shift to park one (19-NA-206). I only have the Voltec warranty left so I’d love to have a copy of the TSB in hand when I walk into the dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would go back to the dealer with a printout of this thread in hand, as well as the TSB number. Have them look it up and tell them you want a refund for the previous diagnosis of what should've been done gratis at your last visit. Push for the BECM replacement. If a tech pulls the codes, you should be able to get the replacement even if it's not currently exhibiting the telltale behavior.

If no movement from the service folks, ask to speak to the manager.

Good luck!

I’m 99.99% confident I’m experiencing this issue too with my ‘17 Premier. I’ve been dealing with shift to park errors for months. I took it into the dealer and was charged for diagnosis and quoted hundreds for new shifter a couple months ago and didn’t do the repair. I’ve been getting by having to perform multiple attempts to get the car to recognise it’s in or out of park. I’ve now learned there’s a TSB for this and it should be covered under Voltec so I’m a little peeved it wasn’t recognised and properly addressed by the dealer.

Over the past couple weeks I’ve had problems move beyond shift to park. I’ve had a lot of problems getting the car to start. I never noticed but in hindsight I’m guessing it never get to ready when it’s in this state. The dash lights up and it will let you physically shift out of park but the car won’t move. It’s like it’s an ICE car and it won’t move out of accessory mode and start the engine. I’ve also had the EV battery range listed zero despite being fully charged over night and showing full bars. I’ve had the range climb up from zero upon restart. I’ve had the infotainment say it’s unable to charge. It’s started a few times after multiple attempts but only in gasoline hybrid mode despite a full EV battery. I’ve gotten by thus far by disconnectong the 12 volt battery waiting a couple minutes and trying multiple restarts. I also replaced the 12 volt battery over the weekend and the problems persist so I doubt it’s the 12 volt. Yesterday on the highway the ACC abruptly cut out and I got a service parking brake error on the dash which is new. ACC will also now longer engage.

I’ve got an appointment to take it to the dealer tomorrow but I’m wondering if anyone has a copy or link of the TSB for 18-NA-261 being referenced here—I’ve been unable to track it down unlike the shift to park one (19-NA-206). I only have the Voltec warranty left so I’d love to have a copy of the TSB in hand when I walk into the dealer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would go back to the dealer with a printout of this thread in hand, as well as the TSB number. Have them look it up and tell them you want a refund for the previous diagnosis of what should've been done gratis at your last visit. Push for the BECM replacement. If a tech pulls the codes, you should be able to get the replacement even if it's not currently exhibiting the telltale behavior.

If no movement from the service folks, ask to speak to the manager.

Good luck!
I brought it in and both the BECM and shift to park were fixed under wwrentty thanks to you all in this thread. It took about a week diagnosis, revive the parts and do the repairs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My (lemon) early 2017 Premier had that failure and a bunch of others. Put in a lemon law claim and GM agreed. Am now driving one of the last 2019's and loving it. I had to give up my beloved Citron Green Metallic but I got ACC, power seats and faster L2 charging among others.
What other failures did you have?
Who did you talk to at GM to escalate the issue and get resolution?

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
642 Posts
2017 Volt - I had my BECM start failing around 72k miles, 4 years. I provided the TSB to the tech, and it was just replaced under warranty.

Reactions: sampo

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add my 2017 Volt! 49k miles. CEL came on a few weeks ago, it was going off and on a whole lot. Started one night driving home from the grocery store, the EV range was around 49 miles, then grayed out, as the meter proceeded to go up and down depending on how hard I pressed on the gas pedal. After a couple days, it went back off, and about a week later came back on. Read that sometimes faulty 12v batteries can cause issues, so I replaced it myself. Drove fine for a few days, then CEL came back. Today I finally took it in to a chevy dealership, and got my car back just a few hours later. Quick diagnosis, and I didn't have to pay a dime. I did also get a "Shift to Park" message one of the days, so I mentioned that and they replaced my shifter too.

81 - 100 of 121 Posts