GM Volt Forum banner

61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another one bites the dust at 40Kmi . Our 2017 LT is in for BECM/shifter. They seem to know the drill but refuse to keep the damn things in stock. No loaner because my wife refuses to be pushy... I think she's missing the point of "warranty service".

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Volt that needed a Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) replacement as well. Car has about 21,000 miles. Bought used at Carmax with about 12,000 miles. Car worked fine for about 1 year.

In the summer of 2019, the check engine light came on. At the time, on occasion, the car would immediately switch from EV mode to Gas. I could power off the car, and power it back on, and switch it back to EV mode, and that generally would be sufficient to drive in EV mode.

As winter hit, the car eventually would switch from EV to Gas, or just start out on gas immediately almost every time. Basically I think the BECM would "crash" and then switch to gas as a failsafe. The car would go from EV to Gas within 1-60 seconds, even on a full battery charge. There was 1 instance where the car crashed will driving as I was leaving a parking garage. The car said something like 'ACTION REQUIRED to use car!'. I have to stop the car, put in park, restart the car, and then I was fine to drive (on gas). That only happened once, which was scary, but no other cars were around. Still I drove it many times afterwards and the car would still switch to gas without issue.

Before the GM strike, I took it to a dealer, and they said it would be 1 month before a replacement BECM could be acquired. That was about 3 weeks before the strike. I waited until after the strike was over, and contacted the dealer again. Apparently the BECM was never ordered. So I brought the car in again (after the GM strike). They found a BECM at a dealership nearby and got the part next day. From what I understand, the Gen1 Volt's BECM are easier to replace than the Gen2 Volts. So ultimately I brought the car in on a Monday, dealership got the part on a Tuesday, and I got the car back on Friday. Dealership only has 1 tech who can service Volt's.

Dealership gave me a loaner Chevy Trax, which I really appreciated. They didn't charge me anything for repairing the car, which I also really appreciate.

As part of getting around, I needed a couple Lyft (or Uber) drives. I'm glad I didn't take one Lyft's drivers suggestion of 'Dealerships are really expensive, I know this really good mechanic from Afghanistan!'. He may really have been a good mechanic, but with an issue like the BECM, I'm glad I took it to a Chevy service center :)

Shy of Android Auto not working (separate issue I think), my Volt is now working properly. Happy to be driving on Electric again!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just for reference, I had my BECM replaced right around 25k miles (25032, to be exact, when it got to the dealer), back in mid-August.

Had a couple instances where it did not charge overnight, then one or two instances where the fully charged battery still showed it being fully charged, but with 0 miles of range.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well just got the service engine light at 37,xxx miles and looks like I have the same issue everyone else got on their cars. Taking the car to the dealership to have them replace the BECM. I have error codes 2619-2624

·
Registered
2 Posts
CEL on, U2916 code. Happened after I plugged into a Level 2 charger. Only symptom was charge not available and range dropped to zero. No drivability issues. 30,100 miles. Let's see how my dealer in Florida does.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My BECM was replaced last month and the care was returned to me after being in the shop for over 3 weeks. We took the car on a 100 mi. round trip the next day and had problems with it switching from electric to gas so I brought it back to the dealership. It was diagnosed with a bad EGR valve that won't function with the new BECM. This was Dec. 19. and the dealership has been unable to get a replacement EGR valve. I have not had my car since before Thanksgiving. Anyone else having this problem with the EGR system?

·
Registered
876 Posts
My BECM was replaced last month and the care was returned to me after being in the shop for over 3 weeks. We took the car on a 100 mi. round trip the next day and had problems with it switching from electric to gas so I brought it back to the dealership. It was diagnosed with a bad EGR valve that won't function with the new BECM. This was Dec. 19. and the dealership has been unable to get a replacement EGR valve. I have not had my car since before Thanksgiving. Anyone else having this problem with the EGR system?
EGR system problems are one of the most common reported on this forum, right up there with bad BECM and bad shifters. Those are, I think, the top three (now that GM fixed the "chuggle" that was probably #1 for a year or so after the gen 2 came out). There are also some sporadic reports of problems with the 12 V AGM battery, which probably aren't specific to the Volt but rather to the nature of AGM batteries.

Fortunately, I haven't had any of these problems (at around 55k miles on a '16), so I'm hopeful that they're infrequent enough that most of us won't encounter them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Add my '17 to the list. Purchased new in November 2016. Just over 92k miles. Same issues as described above. Stalled on the side of the Interstate last Wednesday. Chevy roadside assistance wanted to charge $240 for a tow. I got a free tow through my insurance. At the dealer, they diagnosed the BECM, and told me it would be $1963 because I was out of warranty. But he called back about 15 min. later and apologized for nearly giving me a heart attack. He said it is covered under the VoltTech. They expected the part to take 7-10 days. I asked very nicely if there was any chance they could get it sooner. I got a call early afternoon on Friday saying my Volt was ready. Part was sent next day by FedEx, and they freed up a tech to do the work right away. I was very pleased with the turn around on this. Glad it happened now instead of in another 8k miles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
2017 with 38K. Got the dreaded "Shift into Park" on the instrument panel, card would not go anywhere, showed 0 miles available on the battery. Used my OBD app on my phone to look at error codes, there were many. Cleared them, then car would start and run. Got email within a day from OnStar saying I should take the car for service within 7 days.

Made an appointment for the next day at my dealer (Quirk Chevy in Randolph MA) after verifying that their one Volt technician would be there. Brought it in at 9 AM, by 10 they told me they needed to keep it for a day and fixed me up with a (free) rental. Car was ready the next morning. Repair was covered under warranty, my only cost aside from time and inconvenience was $4 for gas for the rental. Good on Chevy and Quirk.

BTW, although I had cleared the error codes, they were able to recover them and just for the record they were:
P1E00, U2603, U2604, U2605, U2606, U2614, U2617, U2618, U2619, U2620, U2621, U2622, U2623

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 Volt LT @ 21K miles - BECM replaced by dealer under Voltec warranty after Volt "lost its mind" over ~10 days (but remained driveable :)

Symptoms: MIL light (OBD2 codes P1E00, U2619, U2620, U2621, U2622, U2623, U2624), interrupted charging or refusal to charge w/ dash message "Unable to Charge", strange "battery level indicator" behavior on dash display when driving (wrong level, or grayed out, or showing escalating charge level as driven...), unexpected shift to engine power when battery had charge, and finally a "Shift to Park" issue the day before my service appointment that required 15 minutes of fiddling to recover from. (Calibration: It was my 3rd "Shift to Park experience in 3 years & I've had no hardware work done for Shift to Park. Hoping this instance was triggered by the BECM failure...)

Evap pipe rubbing recall (N192273600) performed at the same service appointment, which only required installation of the protective bumper. Dropped the car off on a Friday, picked it up following Tuesday. Given we entered a coronavirus stay at home order amid my Volt's symptoms, I wasn't driving much, so I didn't mind its absence for a few days. I appreciated that the dealership service department was still open for business!

Service report stated the BECM had developed an internal open circuit and all circuits connecting to the BECM tested normally.

So far (2 weeks since service) the Volt has performed normally following BECM replacement :)

This was my first "non-routine" service visit for the Volt - Happy with the Volt & its dealer support / warranty support so far. Hope that holds up - hope to put over 100K miles on it over ~15 years use. Averaging >90% "electric miles" :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have also run into this problem. I used my google timeline to work out the details of exactly what happened and when.

My suspicion is the stress from strong regen braking is what triggered the failure. Something may have been slowly failing and a big regen event triggered the fault.
Perhaps it's an issue that builds over time from normal charging until something ultimately fails? I saw other reports here on moisture, so perhaps this is some kind of corrosion that is building over time?
My concern is that the replacement BECM will fail in another 66000km due to the exact same problem.
What was the root cause of the failure, and what did they change to prevent it from happening again?

2020-04-13
Weather:
Low -12C
High +3C
Humidity: 43-87%
1:52pm
Car is in the garage with a full tank of gas and plugged in, approx 66031km on the odometer
Unknown battery charge level (It is typically a full charge every morning and I don't remember checking)
Unknown check engine light status. I don't remember it being on, but It could have been on and I didn't notice.
Drove approx ~22km at ~70km/h to purchase a shelf
Car is back in the garage and plugged in
2020-04-14
Weather:
Low -6C
High +10C
Humidity: 65-75%
10:11am
Drove approx 6km at ~70km/h to work
Half way (approx 3km) I noticed the check engine light was on and the battery state of charge was at ~50%
The engine did not start, the entire drive was powered by the battery
Once at the office, I turned off the car, loaded some empty boxes into the trunk that I needed.
10:19am
Turned on the car, the check engine light was still on
Drove approx 6km at ~70km/h to home
The engine did not start and the entire trip was powered via the battery
Once at home I plugged in the car with the EVSE and charged at 240V 12A
Charging started without any issues
10:56am
Unplugged the charger, plugged in my OBD2 scanner, turned on the car
Check Engine light was still on
ECU current pending fault: P1E00: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
11:00am
Took a snapshot of the cell voltages
All cells were between 3.000V and 3.030V
The distribution betweeen 3.00 and 3.03 appeared random, typical, and healthy
Drove approx 12Km at approx 70km/h while logging stats in MyGreenVolt
First time using this app, but it didn't pop up any warnings or errors
Powered off the car
1:04pm
Powered on the car
The check engine light was OFF
Drove approx 6km at ~70km/h while gathering stats in MyGreenVolt
While at a stop light I switched to sport mode so I could get some stats while the vehicle was under a higher load
The check engine light turned on and the engine started
While in this state, it seemed to me that the regen braking did not work anymore, but I still had power steering
Pulled over and took a screenshot in the MyGreenVolt app of the cell voltages:
All cells were between 3.800 and 3.815V and the distribution looked healthy
Swtiched to Torque app and scanned for faults:
ECU current pending fault: P1E00: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
Drove another 6km to the dealership to have the car checked and serviced
2020-04-15 10:37am
Chevy dealer called:
There is a bulleten in gm world if the code comes up
The car needs a new battery energy control module
It is covered under the voltec warranty for me until 2024-05-05
No cost to me at all for the replacement

·
Registered
5 Posts
I actually just had this problem with a 2017 Volt Premier I bought used with almost 21K miles. The car resisted charging 3 times and then when it was fully charged, I took it out for a spin and it immediately went from BATTERY to TOTAL POWER and then the battery gauge was all over the place; going down quickly, then going back up. I lost air conditioning but the car was totally driveable. This happened withing 24 hours of taking delivery of the vehicle. What a way to make an impression. I'm actually picking the car up now.

·
Registered
153 Posts
A lot of the early BECM reports seemed to occur in the 20k-40k mile range.

You just had some really bad luck there.

My own 2017 just ticked over to 53k and no problems yet. I really hope if it does happen, it happens within the warranty period!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have also run into this problem. I used my google timeline to work out the details of exactly what happened and when.
I've seen a few off-hand reports it was a bad batch of units, and even one mention VIN ranges with the bad parts are known. Though these reports are completely anecdotal. The replacement units do have different part numbers, suggesting a new revision.

The Bolt EV shares this exact part with the Volt. I have not heard of failures with it in the Bolt like have occurred in the Volt.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt LT
239 Posts
Mine was replaced on my 2018 Volt. Had to drop the battery to replace it. I think it had about 20k miles as well, maybe less.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had mine replaced yesterday. I have a 17 premier with 91k. I was getting the occasional on and off engine light too.
2017 with 33,000 miles. All these symptoms plus attempted theft message. Getting in and out of the car locking and unlocking and attempting to move the shifter eventually lets you operate the car. 5-10 min but got me around a couple of days until I had it replaced yesterday. 3 days down, dealer in Carlsbad ca was on it.

61 - 80 of 121 Posts