GM Volt Forum banner

2017 Battery Energy Control Module replacement BECM

98163 Views 240 Replies 131 Participants Last post by  Randall Foltyniewicz
I have a 2017 with 36k. I didn't find much on here about this and I'm curious who else has gone through this, and what this means long term.

I had a few instances where the Check engine light came on and the car shifted over to the generator, even though there was more then 50% battery life. Thankfully I never got stranded. The first few times I brought it in they just updated the software and told me I should be good to go. The third time I took it to a different dealer and they diagnosed it as a full replacement , bulletin 18-na-261.

The dealer handled it well, got a loaner and 6 days later I'm back on the road. They had to do the battery to access it.The dealer said it was very rare. But I have trust issues with dealers, lol.

So,
- how common is this?
- long term issues?
- any possible damage to the battery?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Reactions: Hurnbyr
41 - 60 of 241 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Just bought a used 2017 Volt LT, one week into ownership the same issues people mentioned in this thread happened to me. Brought it into the dealership, they diagnosed the problem as the BECM and will replace it, but I'm out of having a car for a few days. Just wanted to say thanks for everyone being active on these forums because it helps knowing that it just isn't my bad luck, it's something that other owners have experienced so I have something to go on

· Registered
4 Posts
Hey Voltageer,
Your experience sounds just like mine! Purchased a used 2017 LT on Sunday, then 6 days later on Saturday everything goes to s**t!! Brought into the dealer yesterday, I just got a call and they said they need to order the BECM so they'll have my car for a couple more days. Wow, crazy!

· Registered
8 Posts
This just happened to my 2017 Premier as well at 32,000 miles. They first tried to reprogram the BECM and that lasted for a couple days before the check engine light came back. Now the BECM is being replaced this next week under the VOLTEC warranty. They said to expect it to take a day.

· Registered
1 Posts
Same Here.

'17 with 76k miles. Issue started with not charging full over night, said "unable to charge", Pulled codes "P1E001 and U2619". P1E001 is Check Engine LIght, U2619-"No communication between BECM & Module 7, hybrid/EV battery error". Reset codes, came up a day later. Repair took 2 weeks at Chevy dealer due to BECM needed to be ordered and volt mechanic was backlogged with work, loaner was provided.

Chevy Tech pulled codes" U2619, U2620, U2621, U2622, U2623, U2624, P1E00, B3109, B3110"

Repair was covered under warranty, Chevy Technical Bulletin: 18-NA-261.

This has been the only major issue with my volt, I love this car!

· Registered
19 Posts
Just wanted to chime in to say, I'm another with the same exact problem - and glad I found this thread, for the sake of my sanity.

2017 volt with 25k on it is when it happened to me. It's in the shop right now, waiting for the part. Under warranty, I was told.

Like someone else just mentioned, my symptoms included the AC not working, even when running off the ICE. And just to reiterate symptoms, this was repeatedly happening to me ... one of 3 states - each happening about the same amount of time.

1 - it starts per normal
2 - it shows 1 mi. remaining battery, and won't go anywhere - "shift to park" warning
3 - it shows 0 mi. remaining battery, and allows me to go on the ICE

if no. 2 happened - I'd just shut it off, lock/unlock the doors a few times, wait - and then one of the other two things happened instead, which enabled me to at least drive. I never had to tow it, thankfully.

As others have said, the biggest concern here is how widespread this problem is, at relatively low mileages. Do I want this to happen again in another 25K? This is the best car I've ever owned and I love driving it - and was hoping it would last a long time - but if I have to replace this every 25K, that's a MAJOR negative and means I'll probably have to look for a new vehicle next year.

· Registered
769 Posts
Our BECM was replaced recently on our 2018, with about 18,000 miles. I'm not worried about it happening again though. Although I don't have any evidence to prove it, I believe the replacement BECM's are an improved version.

GM would have every reason to avoid repeat failures, since it's on their dime for the first 8 years or 100k miles. Longer in CA and certain other states.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

· Registered
15 Posts
Another BECM failure, 2017 model purchased in 2016

I have a 2017, purchased in August 2016, and just hit this issue. BECM was replaced under voltec warranty.

The car has 70k miles total, 27k electric.

Typical OBD code set: P1E00 and U2619-U2624. There were others the dealer found, but with my basic OBD reader, those were all I got. Fortunately I was not left stranded, but it took several restarts before the car would drive, and once started and got into drive once, that entire ride was good.

So this seems like a reasonably common failure, it really should have been a recall, but probably was to expensive for GM to recall all the effected cars.

Attachments

· Registered
21 Posts
So I read through this thread but wanted to post my symptoms to see if people think I have a bad BECM. I have a 16 volt with 37K miles on it. On my commute today the check engine light turned on and the battery suddenly drained to 0 from about 1/3. I was able to keep driving and then it suddenly the battery gage **** all the way up after about 8 miles, and the engine kept running. When I got to my destination, at low speeds it was almost stuffering, seemingly switching between the electrical system and the engine or something. I turned the car off and back on, and the battery showed where it had originally been when this issue started. I haven’t been able to get the codes yet but will hopefully soon.

· Registered
165 Posts
So I read through this thread but wanted to post my symptoms to see if people think I have a bad BECM. I have a 16 volt with 37K miles on it. On my commute today the check engine light turned on and the battery suddenly drained to 0 from about 1/3. I was able to keep driving and then it suddenly the battery gage **** all the way up after about 8 miles, and the engine kept running. When I got to my destination, at low speeds it was almost stuffering, seemingly switching between the electrical system and the engine or something. I turned the car off and back on, and the battery showed where it had originally been when this issue started. I haven’t been able to get the codes yet but will hopefully soon.
Definitely sounds like it. If you pull the codes and see a bunch of U26xx codes, these are classic BECM failure codes. They indicate the BECM is unable to measure certain cell groups of the battery.

· Registered
70 Posts
Just had the BECM fail on my 2017 Volt at 35,400 miles.

Symptoms: Battery charged overnight and shows full bars, yet reports range as 0 or 1 miles. Shifting out of park prompts shift to park message. Plugging the charger back in only elicits an amber charge light.

I had to get it towed to my dealer. This dealer sells a lot of Volts and Bolts so they had the BECM in stock and I had my Volt back in three days. To access the BECM they had to drop the battery and disassemble it so the labor cost must be extraordinary. Of course the repairs were covered under warranty but I still got nailed with the towing fee.

· Registered
3 Posts
Same stuff here.

Purchased my 2017 Volt Premier (mfr 03/2016; 26,000 miles) on Sep 20. Got check engine light on Oct 3. Got it into the dealership on Oct 15 and they confirmed they will need to replace the BECM and also a shifter component. They said that because of the GM strike, they don't have any estimate when they will be able to get the part in. Unfortunately my area is not very ripe with Volts, so they definitely didn't have these parts in stock. They said they were out of loaners also because of the strike, and I've been driving the car daily and sometimes it's fine, but other times it will run ICE only. Twice I've gotten in the car and couldn't drive because of Shift to Park and I've had to restart the car, get in/out several times to finally allow me to drive.

Really hoping to get this fixed before it leaves me stranded somewhere. Hasn't been the best start to ownership of this vehicle.

· Registered
769 Posts
Failed BECMs appear to be pretty common indeed. What's interesting, is that the failure symptoms are so variable.

In the case of our 2018 Volt, it stopped charging before completion, and the light on the dash turned a steady orange. The car operated perfectly normally otherwise. Fortunately we had an adequate charge to drive to the dealer, and they replaced the BECM.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

· Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 (43K miles) just experienced this as well. Battery range went from ~45 to 0 in just a few seconds. I made it home on gas so no issues there. Next morning the codes were clear and the Check engine light was extinguished. Then next day it occurred again. Codes spit out: P1FD1,P1FD2,P1FD3, P1FD4, P3037,P3042,U2619,U2620,U2621,U2622,U2623,U2624.

Affter numerous attempts to start vehicle it finally powered on and I was again able to drive home. Called Dealer, they cant fit it in until next week but when I called I felt the car was driveable - it no longer is. So today, the car will not operate. It powers up but the flow display indicates “Power Off”.

I now plan to have it towed to dealer, which should be covered by Voltec warranty.

My primary question - Has any one been successful having Voltec also cover a loaner car? Is it in written in the Voltec 100K warranty?

· Registered
50 Posts
Another '17 volt in the shop (@ 35k miles) with what sounds like the same problems! Thanks to all who posted previously. The dealership called yesterday to tell me the battery needs to be changed. I'm going to call today with the TSB number.

41 - 60 of 241 Posts