GM Volt Forum banner

2017 Battery Energy Control Module replacement BECM

97959 Views 240 Replies 131 Participants Last post by  Randall Foltyniewicz
I have a 2017 with 36k. I didn't find much on here about this and I'm curious who else has gone through this, and what this means long term.

I had a few instances where the Check engine light came on and the car shifted over to the generator, even though there was more then 50% battery life. Thankfully I never got stranded. The first few times I brought it in they just updated the software and told me I should be good to go. The third time I took it to a different dealer and they diagnosed it as a full replacement , bulletin 18-na-261.

The dealer handled it well, got a loaner and 6 days later I'm back on the road. They had to do the battery to access it.The dealer said it was very rare. But I have trust issues with dealers, lol.

So,
- how common is this?
- long term issues?
- any possible damage to the battery?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Reactions: Hurnbyr
221 - 240 of 241 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Mine has been in for about 7 weeks now - same as others - I hear "it's on backorder, with no ETA". This is starting to sound ridiculous. Has anyone had any good recommendations to escalate / or get any attention from GM?

As others have expressed, I'd be a bit less disturbed if I at least had some view of a resolution date...

· Registered
4 Posts
2016 Premier with about 43K miles. Joined the BECM failed group on Aug 27and one of the service advisor said about 2 months wait. No loaners available. Driving my old 2003 Tahoe for the time being. My left hand keep going for that non-existence paddle and I keep down shifting trying to maximize regen when driving downhill and realizing its an old Tahoe. I miss my Volt :-(

· Registered
2 Posts
My 2017 Premier with only 32k miles just joined the BECM club. Dealer has no ETA on the part. Thankful at least that it didn’t leave me stranded. Happened on the interstate (sudden reduced propulsion power alert and battery disappeared), but was able to get home on ICE alone even though braking and acceleration were wonky.

· Administrator
23,446 Posts

· Administrator
23,446 Posts
As a follow up, I finally got my Volt back! It took two months to get the BECM, then a few days to install it.
Congrats! What I'm seeing based on posts is about a 2-3 month wait for the BECM replacement.

Reactions: Sheldon

· Administrator
23,446 Posts
My 2017 Volt went into the shop 1st of Oct. for Shift to park and BECM. Everything is on backorder with no ETA.
plan on 3 months or so

· Administrator
23,446 Posts
My prediction was 3 months or so but glad it was sooner for you.

· Registered
23 Posts
For the DIY crowd has anyone considered cutting access through the center console body panel right above the BECM and then cutting open the battery case? Of course, a method to seal everything back up would be needed. Just curious since once the BECM is accessed it is simply a process of unplugging the old unit and plugging in the new unit. Then, seal and use SPS to program everything up. This could be an option for those without resources to lift the Volt and easily remove the battery.

· Registered
1,290 Posts
Well, the supply chain issue must be straightening out. When I brought my 16 for the BECM replacement about ten days ago I was told it would take about a month to get the part and I just got the call back today to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Administrator
23,446 Posts
I was told it would take about a month to get the part and I just got the call back today to get it.
There have now been a few reports of under a month, let's hope that becomes the new norm.

· Registered
2 Posts
On December 12, I had my 2018 Volt towed to the dealership, knowing that I had the dreaded BECM failure issue. Obviously no 24296900 left on earth so I am now driving my 2012 Silverado as my daily driver. I love my Silverado, but I didn't buy the truck for my daily commuter. Tomorrow (December 22) I am finally getting a rental from the dealership.
  • Any chance I might find this (new OEM) part somewhere before my dealership does?
  • I saw some chatter about possibly substituting a Bolt BEMC for the one we need. Is that really a sanctioned thing? If so, can someone steer me to the TSB that blesses this?
  • For those that had coverage under Voltec, did you have to pay anything out of pocket (rental, labor, etc.)?
Now we wait...

· Registered
2011 Highlander Hybrid, 2017 Volt Premier
144 Posts
I saw some chatter about possibly substituting a Bolt BEMC for the one we need. Is that really a sanctioned thing? If so, can someone steer me to the TSB that blesses this?
It was me chattering this possibility. However, I have no proof of that, just a claim from a guy, who installed 24289410 BECM to a volt.

As for sanctioning and TSB - you definetely won't find any, because GM won't mix parts of different cars and different partnumbers, even if internaly these parts have the same hardware.

Maybe the bolt's block just has more power capability, so installing it to a volt has no harm, but is impossible vice-versa (volt module to a bolt)...

221 - 240 of 241 Posts