GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts
Has anyone discussed any class action on this topic?
You should start the ball rolling, contact an attorney. Post the results of your discussion in a new thread.

Assuming the repair is covered by a warranty, I'm not sure how supply chain issues factor into suing a company for lack of repair parts. I suspect if you are outside the warranty, suing over lack of repair parts is likely a dead end.

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts
When I contacted them the case manager didnt even know what the voltec warranty was. GM is in a really bad place. As soon as it comes back its bye bye...I really like the car but was very skeptical of GM. This experience has confirmed my fears. As other EVs come to market it will be clear that although GM was early to it, their lack of quality and customer service will turn many away. As far as quality, its another SAAB story :).
My 2011 has needed maintenance totaling under $1,000 for 11 years. The GM dealer rarely sees the car other than for infrequent fluid changes. My experience with the dealer has been good which also makes a difference. Of course, I expect an aging battery issue at some point and that may sink my stats. Still, $90/year for maintenance, what an awful, awful car, lol. At this point I was spending $1,500/year on the Volvo I replaced with the Volt.

The Volt was my first GM car, but the experience has been very good. So much so I bought a Bolt EV as well. GM just gave my 5 year old Bolt EV a new battery with 21 more miles range (259 miles now) and a new warranty. I'm very happy.

The supply chain issues are hitting GM (and others) hard. You can blame the manufacturer, but then you'd be blaming everyone from the washing machine makers to refrigerator makers to door makers to wood stain makers because they are all having a difficult time getting parts and raw materials depending on the model and part. This results in delays for consumers who are understandably unhappy. We are used to the BC (Before Covid) world where anything and everything was readily available. The AC supply chain issues have thrown a monkey wrench into that.

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts
Loaners vs BECM Parts
You are talking about what a specific dealer did for keeping some loaner cars. They hoarded a few to keep as loaners. My Chevy dealer did the same. They gave me one overnight while my Bolt was having it's battery replaced.

But the scenario here is not a loaner/rental car shortage (though there is that) but a shortage of GM Volt BECM replacement parts.

Obviously a dealer would not hoard BECM's like a loaner car. They would (and did) install what they had on hand. In normal times, the replacement BECM's would likely be coming faster. These are not normal times.

Why a BECM Shortage?
First, I don't know that the BECM's are made in China. Do you? Maybe they are, but they seem to be made by various manufacturers around the world, so maybe there aren't. If they are made in China, have you seen the news? Whole huge manufacturing cities have been placed in lock-down. Blame GM, right?

I also don't know what supply constraints those manufacturers have that are affecting their BECM production line. Neither do you. I would not be surprised if the chip shortage strikes again. Chip shortages are a real thing and causing real problems around the world for both new car sales and replacement parts. Blame GM, right?

You made up a story that GM is getting these from China (we don't know), that there are "slower" boats and "faster" container ships (typically it's snarled shipping ports, not ship speed), and that "some" automakers are finding a way for some non-specific parts to be delivered. Lot's of assumptions plus some apples and oranges thrown in there. But let's blame GM.

I understand being unhappy, frustrated, upset and wanting to blame someone, but sometimes things are out of everyone's control.

For example, the war in Ukraine has shutdown one of the major sources for vehicle wiring harnesses. A major source of harnesses to VW is now unavailable. So let's blame VW when they can't quickly get you a replacement for the one in your Golf that mice chewed through, :) Let's talk about how the Mazda dealer kept some loaners, proving that VW doesn't care about replacing your wiring harness. Let's point out that other car makers were able to get some parts replacements (not a VW Golf harness), so why can't VW get your replacement wiring harness to you faster? They must be shipping it on slow boats and I'm going to tell all my friends and never I'll buy a VW again...

OK :)

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts
I have a relative that will never, ever buy a GM because someone they knew in the 70's did, the paint peeled and the dealer refused to repair for free. Forget that peeling paint is exceedingly rare today. Forget that the dealer was a stealership. They won't buy a GM. Some people are like that.

Now, had they been told, "there's a paint shortage, the repair will be delayed some months" I know it would have been acceptable. They would not have reacted by saying "GM's bad beacuse they can't do it sooner, I'll never buy another and I'll bad mouth them to friends". In my mind, as a business owner that's an unreasonable customer. If it wasn't this it would be something else. Some people are like that too.

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts
I forgot to mention another problem with my white 14. The paint is peeling above the windshield center on the roof. It is about a 1" ragged patch area right now from the rubber back. I used to do body work so I may try to blend it myself before it gets too bad. I have not painted cars for over 40 years so I need to brush up on the new techniques. I could take it to a body shop however I don't have another car to drive and I need it on call for semi-retired tech work I still do for folks when they call.
Yes, there have been a few reports here of small peels in the roof gutter. I too have done body work and would be tempted to DIY if it happened to me. Worst case, I botch it and a shop repairs it anyway. But it's a 2011, so at some point, I would just say it is what it is. Metallic paint can be tricky, but my Volt's roof is black, so easy. Maybe consider going Gen 1 retro with black on your roof?

I don't have the luxury of shopping multiple Chevy dealers for service. I have had a couple of other similar experiences (albeit not a BECM issue) with my other cars and my one with my RV during the supply chain crisis. Maybe it is apples to oranges, but it has not been like this. Also I have never been a real fan of GM. So in my mind I took a leap of faith purchasing this vehicle. With such low mileage (36k) it's my first sub 60k mileage car with any issues. So you can imagine how I am feeling. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I can get my car back in two months or so. Diesel too expensive to keep driving the Dually 😆. Not sure I'll keep it though.
The Volt was my first as well, never been a GM fan either. But my Volt experience has been very good. So much so I bought the Bolt EV as well. I was just talking to a friend who had an electronic control go out on their very expensive refrigerator. It's on backorder, oof. No "loaner" refrigerators available. It's a real problem. What do you do, eat out for every meal? They bought a couple "cheap" fridges in the meantime, will likely sell them later or maybe keep one as a spare just in case.

I've been refinishing a lot of woodwork and the stain I have been using is no longer available due to some pigment shortages. Yikes, it's hard enough finding the right stain to begin with. Mixing a new stain into the project can create some visual issues. I'm just keeping it in perspective. None of the companies want these issues or upset customers. Hopefully things will settle down, but I think we may be a year or more away from whatever we used to consider normal.

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts
Stands to reason if a faulty micro switch is used in more than one car, they can both experience a problem. Other's have repaired their own for a few dollars and some time.

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts
I did reach out to a lawyer who is interested in a class action suit. He reached out to a national firm who is also very interested and thinks it's a strong case. Nothing signed yet.

Message me if you're interested in more info.
I think this is the 6th or 10th musing about a class action lawsuit. I have yet to see any action taken. Keep us posted...

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts
1) Pick a different dealer. Make sure they have a certified Volt technician
2) There's a global parts shortage affecting all auto manufactures, including GM.
3) There's a guy in the <insert brand here> forum who will never buy another <insert brand here> because the <insert brand here> dealer is not up to par and/or can't get parts.

My Bolt has been awesome. GM gave me a new battery with more miles than my original and extended the car life by at least 5 years. Of course, I had to wait about 8 months due to the supply chain issues, but I understood that. Still love the Volt, but the Bolt has been great, We are in a unique time period regarding replacement parts, and aggravating time. It's not affecting cars only. Home appliances, furnaces, air conditions. windows, lots of things are being negatively affected. I think it's short sighted to blame the manufacturer (yet).

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts
As a follow up, I finally got my Volt back! It took two months to get the BECM, then a few days to install it.
Congrats! What I'm seeing based on posts is about a 2-3 month wait for the BECM replacement.

Reactions: Sheldon

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts
My 2017 Volt went into the shop 1st of Oct. for Shift to park and BECM. Everything is on backorder with no ETA.
plan on 3 months or so

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts
My prediction was 3 months or so but glad it was sooner for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts