GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Add another one. Posted it on another thread. Dealers says no loaners. GM might reimburse rental. also dealer said it's gonna be forever till they get the BECM and they can't even begin to tell me when. Has anyone discussed any class action on this topic?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes this is nuts. They need to issue a buyback if they cannot repair them in an adequate amount of time. I have been thru this with other automakers twice. They took care of their customers. I know GM won't though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone waiting this long tried contacting GM corporate offices about this issue rather than just going through the dealer? This is really unacceptable from a customer standpoint.

I thought I read that the part is the same for the Bolt. If that's true, and they're back to building Bolts (which I'm not sure they are), they should pull a bunch from the factory and use them for these repairs.
Has anyone waiting this long tried contacting GM corporate offices about this issue rather than just going through the dealer? This is really unacceptable from a customer standpoint.

I thought I read that the part is the same for the Bolt. If that's true, and they're back to building Bolts (which I'm not sure they are), they should pull a bunch from the factory and use them for these repairs.
When I contacted them the case manager didnt even know what the voltec warranty was. GM is in a really bad place. As soon as it comes back its bye bye...I really like the car but was very skeptical of GM. This experience has confirmed my fears. As other EVs come to market it will be clear that although GM was early to it, their lack of quality and customer service will turn many away. As far as quality, its another SAAB story :).

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2011 has needed maintenance totaling under $1,000 for 11 years. The GM dealer rarely sees the car other than for infrequent fluid changes. My experience with the dealer has been good which also makes a difference. Of course, I expect an aging battery issue at some point and that may sink my stats. Still, $90/year for maintenance, what an awful, awful car, lol. At this point I was spending $1,500/year on the Volvo I replaced with the Volt.

The Volt was my first GM car, but the experience has been very good. So much so I bought a Bolt EV as well. GM just gave my 5 year old Bolt EV a new battery with 21 more miles range (259 miles now) and a new warranty. I'm very happy.

The supply chain issues are hitting GM (and others) hard. You can blame the manufacturer, but then you'd be blaming everyone from the washing machine makers to refrigerator makers to door makers to wood stain makers because they are all having a difficult time getting parts and raw materials depending on the model and part. This results in delays for consumers who are understandably unhappy. We are used to the BC (Before Covid) world where anything and everything was readily available. The AC supply chain issues have thrown a monkey wrench into that.
yes I agree. But here is the real story... I have a friend that works as a service advisor for Mazda..they have loaners ready and waiting. They didnt sell off of them so that they can take care of their customers. Yes I know thats dealer specific but they are also paying extra at their expense to get parts quicker and not have customers sitting for months waiting on parts. Its easy to cast blame and make excuses now, however if you pay for shipping from china on on the slowest boat possible then tell your customers...sorry supply chain shortage...that means you really dont care about your customers.. I know materials can be short as well, but some automakers have figured out a way. Its all about how much money they want to spend to keep their customers happy. In the case of the volt..the program has ended. It appears to me, GM has decied to put these owners at the bottom of the priority list. Its a shame...I REALLY like the car, kudos to the hard working engineers that made it happen, but my next vehicle will NOT be anything from GM, and with several other automakers making EVs now, they just lost me as a customer. Also case in point, my wife's coworker was going to hold out for a Silverado EV, but after hearing our story as she said "probably not a good idea to buy one from GM after this debacle." His repsonse was "yes your right I should probably not do that." Thats two down. I, like everyone else here, is bummed about this. I was going to get a BOLT EUV after a year of owning this car... I just test drove a Nissan Leaf....Top model 230 mile range. I am skeptical of the lack of battery thermal management, but I havent heard of piles of them sitting at dealers like with GM EVs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't have the luxury of shopping multiple Chevy dealers for service. I have had a couple of other similar experiences (albeit not a BECM issue) with my other cars and my one with my RV during the supply chain crisis. Maybe it is apples to oranges, but it has not been like this. Also I have never been a real fan of GM. So in my mind I took a leap of faith purchasing this vehicle. With such low mileage (36k) it's my first sub 60k mileage car with any issues. So you can imagine how I am feeling. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I can get my car back in two months or so. Diesel too expensive to keep driving the Dually 😆. Not sure I'll keep it though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What else happy to your ‘17 Volt Premier and how did you convince GM that this car was a lemon? My ‘18 Volt LT with only 23.5K miles has been sitting at a dealership due to a failed BECM for nearly 2 weeks now. At the same visit, the dealership repaired the Shift to Park problem with a new switch. Very concerned that this may be a long wait!
I'm a month and counting. As people keep telling me it's due to supply chain shortages can't blame GM, it seems like the majority of them are failing. There could likely be a shortage anyway due to what most certainly appears to be a design flaw, so yes we can most certainly blame GM, supply chain or not. Most honest companies would issue a buyback now , or at least a recall at this point. Take a look at the issue surrounding the Bosch CP4 fuel pumps on the big three's HD diesel trucks. That story shows GMs (and Ford's) true colors. Kudos to Ram on that one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts