GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 with 36k. I didn't find much on here about this and I'm curious who else has gone through this, and what this means long term.

I had a few instances where the Check engine light came on and the car shifted over to the generator, even though there was more then 50% battery life. Thankfully I never got stranded. The first few times I brought it in they just updated the software and told me I should be good to go. The third time I took it to a different dealer and they diagnosed it as a full replacement , bulletin 18-na-261.

The dealer handled it well, got a loaner and 6 days later I'm back on the road. They had to do the battery to access it.The dealer said it was very rare. But I have trust issues with dealers, lol.

So,
- how common is this?
- long term issues?
- any possible damage to the battery?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
Must not be very common since no one else has chimed in.

This happened to me the other day. Mine has 39k miles. Finally had a chance to take it in today (what with working and rotten cold weather). After a few questions aimed at me about did I jump the battery, did I do anything weird, etc, the service guy told me it needed a new battery energy control module. It's a six-hour job. I got a loaner and hope to pick my car back up on Monday afternoon.

I must say, I'm a big proponent of the Chevy Volt and am a bit disheartened at the moment. I know this will go into the bowels of GM's service history data base and presumably be used to better future vehicles. One friggin' data point I am. The dealership does as well as I could expect, so I just have to suck it up. Loaners are always something I've never driven before, and it's interesting to experience them albeit an inconvenience, too.

What? Nobody else?

Reactions: katluth

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 17 and this happened to me last year. I had the same issues with the check engine light coming on, going into hybrid mode, loss of ABS and power steering. It resolved itself on its own before I got it to the dealer but still took it in and they ran diagnostics on it and ended up replacing the BECM. Everything has been fine since then.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
We were waiting for the error codes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Curious as to why this thing would be an issue. I assume it's primarily an electronic thing and not a mechanical item. You'd think it would be the last thing to fail ... that something else would be far more problematic and you'd never hear about "a BECM."

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same symptoms back in March on my '17. Took the dealership three weeks of reprogramming and diagnostics before Chevy replaced the BECM. This was before the bulletin was issued, so I'm glad that the turnaround is getting faster.

The good news is that it's been trouble-free since then.

·
Registered
255 Posts
... The good news is that it's been trouble-free since then.
Glad to hear that.

Got my car back yesterday. That's when I heard about GM issuing a bulletin. Talked to the tech who worked on my car. Apparently, it's an electronic-based part and not mechanical at all. (Probably everybody else but me already knew this.) Car runs fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just had the exact issue a few weeks ago and the dealership replaced the BECM. I hope the issue is fixed in the replacement to where it won't happen again 20-30k more miles down the road.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sounds like a rash of bad BECMs in 2017. It appears that whatever the malfunction in them was, was corrected

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Add another one to the list. My '17 won't be converting any KWHs to MPHs for a week, as the local dealer orders and installs a new BECM and shifter. Thanks to this forum, I suspected what was happening the first time the MIL came on (then went off, then came on again), and was certain of it when all the other symptoms appeared. When the service adviser called with the diagnosis, it was no surprise. Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
518 Posts
My (lemon) early 2017 Premier had that failure and a bunch of others. Put in a lemon law claim and GM agreed. Am now driving one of the last 2019's and loving it. I had to give up my beloved Citron Green Metallic but I got ACC, power seats and faster L2 charging among others.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Add another one to the list. My '17 won't be converting any KWHs to MPHs for a week, as the local dealer orders and installs a new BECM and shifter. Thanks to this forum, I suspected what was happening the first time the MIL came on (then went off, then came on again), and was certain of it when all the other symptoms appeared. When the service adviser called with the diagnosis, it was no surprise. Thanks, everyone!
Glad to hear you were able to identify the issue so quickly. After mine was repaired, it's been just fine. Hopefully, yours will be equally as uneventful.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well my 2017 has the same symptoms, looks like my BECM is acting up also. It’s going in on the 3rd of April. Hope it all goes well, I really love this car I think its just a minor issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I have very similar Problem with my Volt last Time. ECM shows P1E00 code. I know this is generic code bud when i dig deeper I found U2619 and All rest range to U2622 i think.
Strange was that It happened after I fill my tank with full of gas...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
My 2016 is in the shop now for this and waiting on the part to be delivered. I had it towed in under roadside assistance after having all of the symptoms mentioned on this problem. They put us in a 2019 Malibu and my wife is complaining about the constant engine noise as compared to the Volt which only fill up once a year. Funny stuff.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Does anybody have any idea how likely this will happen to 2016/early 2017 models? Is it just some isolated cases or all of them will fail eventually?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think that it will catch us all ... if in a normal drive without any signs suddenly there is a bug disconnecting the entire battery. How can you talk about reliability here?
I still have Prius Prime and this has never happened to me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My (lemon) early 2017 Premier had that failure and a bunch of others. Put in a lemon law claim and GM agreed. Am now driving one of the last 2019's and loving it. I had to give up my beloved Citron Green Metallic but I got ACC, power seats and faster L2 charging among others.
I would love to lemon law my 2017 for a 2019 with ACC, power seats and faster 7.2 kW L2 charging !

Just not have\ing enough lemon moments with it...yet

BECM was replace Jan 2019. No real issues since.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts