GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Volt gen2 and I have always read/heard that I should leave it plugged in whenever I am home. With the current covid situation I do MUCH less driving. And I read recently in Green Car Reports that, just as the battery does not like to be left in a depleted condition for extended periods, It is also not good to leave it fully charged for long periods. My history has been to leave it plugged in after every drive, even a mile or two. Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
What Green Car Reports doesn't say is the Volt battery is NEVER totally charged or discharged. Plus, if you leave it plugged in, the battery management system cools or heats the battery to keep it in an optimum temperature range. Just keep it plugged in and don't worry about it!

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
It is really your choice as to whether to charge the Volt every day or every time you drive the car. The Volt Owner's manual states that if you will not be driving the Volt for up to 4 weeks you should leave the Volt plugged in. If longer than 4 weeks then you should leave the battery pack at 30% state of charge and either connect a battery trickle charger (one specifically designed for trickle charging AGM 12V batteries such as the Volt's 12V battery) or disconnect the negative cable from the 12V battery. There is also a special Volt Transport Mode (not covered in the Owner's Manual) that can minimize the drain of the 12V battery while it is not being driven. For my 2017 Volt, since I generally drive less than 10 miles per day, I can easily go two or three days between charging my Volt. The only downside of plugging in the Volt every day is that you might wear out the charging connector or the charging port but these are easily replaced, normal wear items.

I usually plug in my Volt each evening, December through March, as my energy usage is approximately 2X my spring and summer usage due to preconditioning and use of the Volt's electric heat. On the coldest days when I use the maximum heat setting my estimated EV range can drop to below 28 miles; still that is enough EV range that I could charge every other day if I wanted.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I'm leaving both my Volt and my wife's Clarity PHEV plugged in. We alternate which car we take when we go to the grocery store.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
If you live in an area with high thunderstorm activity you should be prepared to unplug the Volt anytime there is ground strike lightning detected within 8 miles from your location. The chance of a close by lightning strike damaging the Volt is low but it has happened and the cost to repair a Volt damaged by lightning could be excessive or even total the vehicle for insurance purposes.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I never plug mine in to charge unless it's at least 50% or more discharged . . . . and I unplug it (and drive it) when it's done charging. I seldom drive mine . . . . 2 or 3 times a month (we have 3 other EV's) and I try to never leave it set fully charged. If they're not being used, leaving it set with a 40% charge or thereabouts is best for the battery

But . . . . you can do just as the owners manual recommends and GM will honor your battery warranty until it expires. If you plan to keep it several more years after that, how you care for the battery from day one will be of more importance. I've kept several cars more than 10 years, one for 20

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts