GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced this minor irritation?
It seems to me that some automatic car washes are opening my charge door. The charge door is latching perfectly and has never open on its own. But it seems to open when I drive through some car wash.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Never happened here either but I can see a strong jet of water pressing the door open. Maybe try another car wash?

Edit: Is this a touchless (what I go through only) or one of those with the strips that whack the car's body (and scratch it to hell)?

·
Administrator
20,903 Posts
Maybe the door is being forced open by the water pressure? Year?

·
Administrator
20,903 Posts
So my vote is either the water jets or air blowers are hitting the charge door with enough force to pop open. If you are in the car and watch, you'll be able to tell when it pops.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This happens to me every time since the car wash changed some of the brush things. I go to Mister Car Wash and they updated the equipment and the new stuff must push harder and it flips open the door. Usually there is a person at the end of the line that will close it for me. I figure the dryer blows right in there after the rinse cycle so it hopefully is blowing it all out. I just don't want corrosion in there...

I have thought about seeing if I could print a cap or something that I could pop over the port inside the door just to keep the water out kinda like a gas cap.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just worry about getting water spray in the contact. Hopefully GM has thought about this as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just worry about getting water spray in the contact. Hopefully GM has thought about this as well.
It was more than just GM that designed that connector - it should be just fine.

I'd worry much more about the door itself if there are still spinning brushes hitting it when it opens (does it open fully?).

-Charlie

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was more than just GM that designed that connector - it should be just fine.

I'd worry much more about the door itself if there are still spinning brushes hitting it when it opens (does it open fully?).

-Charlie
No it's partially open towards the end of the wash cycle during rinse and blow down.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine pops open fully but it doesn't seem like the brush/cloth things put much pressure on it forcing it forward. It pops open after the brush is spinning clockwise so front to back on the car, then it pops open. So that last brush that pops it open is spinning in the way that it won't pry it forwards. That is the last brush that is on the wash and then it goes to the rinse spraying water pretty much right inside. Then the dryer comes and also blasts right inside which I am hoping dries it out.

I wonder if something could be changed to make it harder to pop open. Like add a magnet or spring or something to pull it shut...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts