GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2017 Volt I recently set my radar detector to show voltage. It is plugged into the 12v accessory socket. When I start the car it shows 15.1 volts. When I drive in Normal the voltage gradually decreases. I have seen as low as 12.4 volts. No warning lights come on. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance,
JP

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My Gen 1 frequently sees 12.5 so I would imagine the Gen 2 is probably similar. I'm getting my readings from the Torque app and it's figure for "dongle voltage" which should be 12V system voltage on the OBDII port. Typically after startup it's in the 14V range and decreases. I believe if the system gets below 12V you will likely get a message or a light indicating a charging issue (perhaps even a check engine light). As I've been told by dealerships in the past, if there isn't a light, messsage or anything indicating a problem then it's most likely normal behavior that hasn't ventured out of the "normal operation" range.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
On my 2017 Gen2 the APM output varies between 15.4V (cold temperature with accessories and lights running) to 12.4V. The correct float voltage for a 12V AGM battery, once the battery is fully charged, is between 13.5V and 13.8V (note: summer temperatures may require lower voltages.) [Source: Battery University] https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, jcanoe, for the information.

I was concerned that 15+ volts could damage some of the 12v accessories. Given the awesome engineering in the rest of the car I figured that the APM would regulate in a tighter range of about 12.8 to 14.2 volts.

Volts rock,
JP

2017 Volt Premier w/ACC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts