GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor Volt seems to have no end to its problems. I'm really stumped how this car can have so many unrelated issues when most people on this forum report virtually no issues in their ownership. Just finished paying $1k for a new HMI module in December (2017 Infotainment screen died and radio stuck on). This is on top of the long list of items that were fixed under warranty on this car (service history on my 2017, did I get a lemon?). I thought maybe this is the last expensive repair the car will have and it'll be great for years now. I've not even put 3k miles on the car since I bought it. Odometer is sitting at 28,800 right now. It's been a garage queen since the pandemic started.

Oh was I wrong about that! Now my evaporator is leaking. The a/c was fantastic all last summer, even on the hottest 100F days. Sunday was the first day hot enough to actually want cooling after parking in the sun all afternoon. Air was blowing furiously out the dash vents, but I kept sitting there waiting for the air to get cold. It normally is very quick to cool down. I finally realized it was blowing cold out the passenger vents, hot from the driver's side. Since this is a single zone system, that's a classic symptom of an undercharge.

When I got home took a look around the car for any sings of leakage. The factory puts UV dye in the system, so that makes it easy to ID the green oily residue at the leak. Didn't find anything on the pipes, pressure sensors, or compressor. But while under the car, sure enough, green dye is coming out the evaporator drain tube :cautious:

My understanding on the Volt is that the ac is part of the battery cooling system, so if the ac is not repaired the car will either give a "reduced propulsion" or not be able to charge the battery in the summer heat. I know to replace the evap is a dash-out job to the tune of $2k. In my younger years I might have considered tackling this job myself, but too the Volt is too crammed and difficult to work underneath without a lift.

I'm considering my options.
1. Just top off the system and see how long it lasts. I know this is a band aid. It might only be 2 weeks, or could go the rest of the summer, or 3 years before leaking enough to cause performance issues.
2. Trade the car in. This is the least economical option, considering current KBB values I'd be looking at at least another $10k to trade to something else. And I don't know what else I would get.
3. Go to the dealer for a diagnosis and (this is a longshot) then see if GM can offer any goodwill toward fixing this? I'm still under Voltec until July on the 5yr/50k. I know technically the evap is not part of the Voltec system but if the car is not drivable without the ac functioning I might have an argument. Also at 6k miles the 1st owner complained about the a/c system not working, so this may have been an inbuilt issue that's only gotten worse. I realize it's a long shot and fully expect GM to say "get lost."

Thoughts?

·
Registered
171 Posts
My poor Volt seems to have no end to its problems. I'm really stumped how this car can have so many unrelated issues when most people on this forum report virtually no issues in their ownership. Just finished paying $1k for a new HMI module in December (2017 Infotainment screen died and radio stuck on). This is on top of the long list of items that were fixed under warranty on this car (service history on my 2017, did I get a lemon?). I thought maybe this is the last expensive repair the car will have and it'll be great for years now. I've not even put 3k miles on the car since I bought it. Odometer is sitting at 28,800 right now. It's been a garage queen since the pandemic started.

Oh was I wrong about that! Now my evaporator is leaking. The a/c was fantastic all last summer, even on the hottest 100F days. Sunday was the first day hot enough to actually want cooling after parking in the sun all afternoon. Air was blowing furiously out the dash vents, but I kept sitting there waiting for the air to get cold. It normally is very quick to cool down. I finally realized it was blowing cold out the passenger vents, hot from the driver's side. Since this is a single zone system, that's a classic symptom of an undercharge.

When I got home took a look around the car for any sings of leakage. The factory puts UV dye in the system, so that makes it easy to ID the green oily residue at the leak. Didn't find anything on the pipes, pressure sensors, or compressor. But while under the car, sure enough, green dye is coming out the evaporator drain tube :cautious:

My understanding on the Volt is that the ac is part of the battery cooling system, so if the ac is not repaired the car will either give a "reduced propulsion" or not be able to charge the battery in the summer heat. I know to replace the evap is a dash-out job to the tune of $2k. In my younger years I might have considered tackling this job myself, but too the Volt is too crammed and difficult to work underneath without a lift.

I'm considering my options.
1. Just top off the system and see how long it lasts. I know this is a band aid. It might only be 2 weeks, or could go the rest of the summer, or 3 years before leaking enough to cause performance issues.
2. Trade the car in. This is the least economical option, considering current KBB values I'd be looking at at least another $10k to trade to something else. And I don't know what else I would get.
3. Go to the dealer for a diagnosis and (this is a longshot) then see if GM can offer any goodwill toward fixing this? I'm still under Voltec until July on the 5yr/50k. I know technically the evap is not part of the Voltec system but if the car is not drivable without the ac functioning I might have an argument. Also at 6k miles the 1st owner complained about the a/c system not working, so this may have been an inbuilt issue that's only gotten worse. I realize it's a long shot and fully expect GM to say "get lost."

Thoughts?
Get it fixed at a reputable GM dealer. Get an estimate to repair it. Even the diagnostic fee will be worth the peace of mind. Then decide to fix it. If there are notations on prior repairs being done, then maybe you have a repair warranty to take advantage of.

Sorry you are having issues, it sucks when any of our cars goes bonkers. I had a 2002 Prius that was a never ending nightmare, financially. Once the inverter went and Toyota quoted my $6500 CAD to replace it, I was done with the car. I had spent over $10,000 over 4 years to keep it going. I paid $16,000 for it used.

No car is perfect, and unless we buy new, we don't know the full story on what the car went through... Sigh....

Keep us posted. But the Volt is probably going to be worth fixing.

Also remember that folks post on forums often to discuss issues and rarely post to comment on how awesome their cars are day to day. Hahaha! We are a proud lot, us Volt owners because these cars overall are incredibly well built, engineered and reliable machines. Among GM's very very best.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts