GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife called me from the office, the CEL came on when she started her 2017 Volt to come home. 99% of her driving is country roads to and from work, 11 Mi. each way. All on battery, averaging 30-35 Mph. Total of 40,000 miles. Mostly charging on the 110V charger that came with the car. (The gas engine comes on every few weeks to use some gas. We last filled the tank before the July 4 weekend).

Anyway, she got these codes.
U2619
U2620
U2621
U2622
U2623
U2624
P1E00

Searching the forum reveals that almost all of the posts about P1E00 are for Gen 1's. Ours is a Gen2 and I haven't seen any posts about P1E00 for three years.

The car seems to be taking a fresh charge, so I am probably going to send her off to her office tomorrow.
Is this possibly the battery failing or the BEC? Could the 12V battery cause this?
Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
What is the first code she received?

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 90k+ Miles
805 Posts
P1E00 sets the light on the instrument display. The rest relate to the BECM. Most likely the BECM will need to be replaced, if not done prior. This has been a common Gen2 issue, one I've had myself.

Reactions: leppard3

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
P1E00 sets the light on the instrument display. The rest relate to the BECM. Most likely the BECM will need to be replaced, if not done prior. This has been a common Gen2 issue, one I've had myself.
If that is what it is, is it safe to continue driving as long as it takes a charge?
Is the BECM covered under the Voltec warranty, or how much did the repair cost?

I have read where many had to wait weeks for a new BECM. I hope the backlog has recovered.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT
30 Posts
If that is what it is, is it safe to continue driving as long as it takes a charge?

I have read where many had to wait weeks for a new BECM. I hope the backlog has recovered.
The BECM should be covered under Voltec warranty but from what I've read, they are still in backorder.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 90k+ Miles
805 Posts

Some people have driven with the issue until the dealership has the part. I wouldn't use it for road trips or long drives though. You may see strange behavior, such as the AC not working, not starting up properly, etc. Each of the BECM codes had to do with communication errors with different modules of the battery. The BECM is part of the battery warranty, so yes it is covered.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. I cleared the codes, charged the car and my wife took it to work this morning. No CEL yet.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Almost certainly a bad BECM. And, she died on me, well mostly dead

I had the BECM in my 2017 replaced recently. The dealer told me it was safe to drive with the problem but I didn't drive it because my AC didn't work and the weather was warm enough that I was worried that the battery would overheat if I drove.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts