GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never left my 2017 Gen2 Volt plugged in for more than a day. what about 2 weeks? It would be inside a garage.
it's that or leave it outside, unplugged for 2 weeks. Recent Bolt stories leave me worried, but this is a Volt and I have not heard of any bad stories, but 2 weeks is a long time

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
I have never left my 2017 Gen2 Volt plugged in for more than a day. what about 2 weeks? It would be inside a garage.
it's that or leave it outside, unplugged for 2 weeks. Recent Bolt stories leave me worried, but this is a Volt and I have not heard of any bad stories, but 2 weeks is a long time
Are you buying a Volt or a Bolt? They are two completely different cars, with different everything, including different batteries.

BTW, my Volt sits inside my garage plugged in all the time. Been doing that for over 10 years. My Bolt now sits inside the garage charging as well. I had the 3rd software "upgrade" that enables this safely while waiting for the new batteries to come. The SW limits charging to 80% (until the batteries are replaced).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you buying a Volt or a Bolt? They are two completely different cars, with different everything, including different batteries.

BTW, my Volt sits inside my garage plugged in all the time. Been doing that for over 10 years. My Bolt now sits inside the garage charging as well. I had the 3rd software "upgrade" that enables this safely while waiting for the new batteries to come. The SW limits charging to 80% (until the batteries are replaced).
Hi and thanks. It's a Volt but my wife is dead set against it. I use the OEM 110volt charger. the plug is slightly warm after an overnight charge.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Your Volt is only pulling power while filling the battery. But I wouldn’t be worried about either scenario. If you leave it unplugged for 2 weeks, maybe just have some charge in it, like half full. Otherwise just garage it and plug it in. No problem.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
if the plug is warmer then the cable you need a tighter fitting ie different socket or a very short extension cable between the two as a test.

Reactions: Mewa2mua!!

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I don't think there have been any similar battery issues with the Volt. I have no worries about leaving my Volt plugged in. If it helps your peace of mind, leave it plugged in on the 8-amp setting instead of 12. Leaving it unplugged for 2 weeks is a non-issue too.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 90k+ Miles
886 Posts
No issues with the Volt. Follow the directions in the owner's manual regarding the non-use duration.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My Bolt now sits inside the garage charging as well. I had the 3rd software "upgrade" that enables this safely while waiting for the new batteries to come. The SW limits charging to 80% (until the batteries are replaced).
Isn't GM's recommendation of not charging Bolts or leaving them parked near or inside buildings still in effect? I'd be worried about the home's insurance policy not paying out due to a reasonable forewarning of issue; should there be a fire.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Isn't GM's recommendation of not charging Bolts or leaving them parked near or inside buildings still in effect? I'd be worried about the home's insurance policy not paying out due to a reasonable forewarning of issue; should there be a fire.
It DEEPLY depends on what version of software is being run. From what I've been able to puzzle out, the latest for most Bolts is a software-enforced hilltop reserve and no other restrictions.

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
The latest SW patch is more severe than the 90% Hilltop Reserve version, it's limit is 80%. But GM specifically says that with this patch, you can safely charge overnight in the garage, can recharge fully from empty, no need to park outside. I had it done3 weeks ago when I got the email notification it was available for my 2017. Whenever the new batteries arrive and are installed, it'll be back to normal.

Reactions: Turboman92

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The latest SW patch is more severe than the 90% Hilltop Reserve version, it's limit is 80%. But GM specifically says that with this patch, you can safely charge overnight in the garage, can recharge fully from empty, no need to park outside. I had it done3 weeks ago when I got the email notification it was available for my 2017. Whenever the new batteries arrive and are installed, it'll be back to normal.
The chevy dealer says my VOLT will be fine without being charged for 10 days. they know Volts. Thanks to all who responded.

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
Reactions: Mewa2mua!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was worried about long term charging for 90 days on my 2017 Volt so I bought a trickle charger for the correct type of battery (AGM). It worked fine and the car started normally after 90 days on trickle charge.

I think a couple of weeks or less won't need anything special unless your battery is weak and needs replacement anyway.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier
18 Posts
Not a problem with the Volt. It's only the Bolt that has had an issue, and Tesla's, other EVs with larger batteries who pushed the limits on charge and decharge to extend range.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Our Volt has stayed plugged in as long as three weeks-plus in our garage, in this time of go-nowhere Covid, with no issues. I wouldn't worry one bit about it...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts