GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My 12v battery in my 2017 Volt with ~10k miles was recently found to be dead, when my property manager tried to move the car. I called several auto parts stores on my island (Hawaii) and got prices from $190-220 for replacement AGM battery. Most would not change battery, which in retrospect was probably fortunate. I ended up buying it from only Chevy dealer on my island who quoted me a $225 battery cost. They trucked it to their affiliated Toyota dealer (same company owns Toyota and Chevy dealership) on my side of the island where I asked them to install it. I was not on island and could not replace it myself. Upon completion, they told me the bill was ~$525 for replacement. They claim that I was given a gross understatement of the battery cost and the rest was labor. I balked and spoke with manager who agreed to honor the $225 price but my total cost was $319.23 including tax for replacement. Is a charge greater than $500 normal when the dealer replaces the 12v battery?

Administrator
I have a 2011, but replacing it's battery is maybe 15-20 minutes.
Remove 4 10MM nuts, pull out the tray covering the battery, loosen and remove the battery terminal straps, unplug the battery vent tube, remove battery. Drop in new battery, attach tube, etc,
Dealers charge what, $160/hr? $225 for your battery plus $80 for half hour labor (generous) = $305. 4% tax is $9 Total $314. Looks like they charged you a standard rate at $319 with battery. $525 would imply it's a two hour job to remove and replace the battery!! Or they are gouging. Given it's easier than an oil change, I say gouging.

Registered
My battery was about $125 when you factor in sales price ($20) and coupon ($50 gift certificate if over $200 was spent, bought some rubber boots and oil as well) and converted to US funds. Changed it myself (they aren't going to lift a finger for under $100) which took 15-20 minutes total which included vacuuming out debris from battery box (which they wouldn't have done). If you want a job done properly, you have to do it yourself. The labor rates they charge buys a lot of tools.

Registered
Yeah, most places I've seen a Group 47 AGM's shelf price is typically around $200, and I think the dealer list price is $250 for the Delco-labeled ones. So I can certainly see why there was grouching about the $225 quote, and the $320 you actually paid might not be incredibly out of line. Sure, you can save money doing it yourself, but then there's fussing around with returning old batteries and time spent learning how to do it right, and those things are heavy and a pain to shift and there's always a chance you end up dropping it on your foot and breaking some bones so... I don't think you got robbed at all.

Registered
Yeah, most places I've seen a Group 47 AGM's shelf price is typically around $200, and I think the dealer list price is $250 for the Delco-labeled ones. So I can certainly see why there was grouching about the $225 quote, and the $320 you actually paid might not be incredibly out of line. Sure, you can save money doing it yourself, but then there's fussing around with returning old batteries and time spent learning how to do it right, and those things are heavy and a pain to shift and there's always a chance you end up dropping it on your foot and breaking some bones so... I don't think you got robbed at all.
or you might die putting it in.....I've been doing this stuff since I was 12 (74 now) and I forget some city kids never get to touch a wrench, it's just so far outside the realm of my experience. :p馃槀

Registered
Won't argue except to say getting rid of old batteries is real easy. They are worth money in salvage so about anybody will gladly take it off your hands. I live in the East Penn Mfg area (Dekka, Diehard, Harley, many other brands) and we turn them in for cash. UPS batteries no cash but no charge to take, either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts