GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on why both remotes with good batteries are not being recognized by car?. The remotes do lock and unlock but won't remote start car.

·
Registered
186 Posts
All doors and hatch must be fully closed before a precon (pre-condition) will initiate.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Are you doing it correctly? You must press the LOCK button first, then press and hold the start button.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine has been intermittently "forgetting" the key for a few minutes, then magically it comes back to life. The other day it wouldn't turn off in my garage because it said "No remote detected" (even though I was holding it in my hand). I replaced the batteries in both fobs recently so I'm wondering if this is a quirk of my car or perhaps a more widespread fault.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
From the 2016 Volt owner manual:

Conditions in which a remote start may not occur include:
. An open hood.
. The RKE transmitter is in the vehicle.
. The vehicle is not in P (Park).
. Vehicle propulsion system fault conditions, including an emission control system malfunction.
. High voltage battery fault conditions.

A second remote start or extension will not occur if the fuel level is low.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well yes, you are correct. However, to turn the car off, obviously the transmitter needs to be in the vehicle, and in my minutes-long attempt to turn the car off, I verified that it was indeed in Park. I stepped outside the car with the remote in my hand; it beeped three times, and only after several attempts to lock and unlock it from the outside did it finally recognize the key. Every time I hit the "POWER" button to turn the car off, there would be a "click" from the dashboard, but the car refused to shut down. It has done this before, once when the car wouldn't start, and it suggested that I place the key in the dedicated spot in the console. However, before I could do this, I tried to lock and unlock it from the inside with the key in my hand -- and that, funnily enough, was what got it to work. This phenomenon occurs once every couple months.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
we may need to slightly change the post title.

also the remote-start ( at least using the APP ) limits you to 2 - You have to actually get in and start the car to be able to remote again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine has been intermittently "forgetting" the key for a few minutes, then magically it comes back to life. The other day it wouldn't turn off in my garage because it said "No remote detected" (even though I was holding it in my hand). I replaced the batteries in both fobs recently so I'm wondering if this is a quirk of my car or perhaps a more widespread fault.
I've had the same problem in my 2014. It started about a month ago. I changed the batteries in both remotes but it still wouldn't always recognize the remote even though it would unlock the door. I had to use the dash tray multiple times to stop the alarm.

I finally got it to work normally again on my third remote battery replacement. I have no explanation.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If the fuel level is low, it won't precondition. There's a long list of reasons it won't, such as the Check Engine lamp, low coolant, low oil, low refrigerant, park switch, low 12V battery, or anything else not right in the Volt world.

Also, you don't need the key fob to shut down. Just hold the power button for several (5-10) seconds. It will power off, irregardless of anything else. Don't try this while driving, because it will quit.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier Citron Green
66 Posts
I had the same problem for a year. I had to tap the remote on a hard surface for it to be recognized. Turned out I had purchased some cheap (and defective) remote batteries. Got some name brand batteries and problem solved.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same problem with the key fobs intermittently not working. I asked the dealer to replace the receiver under (at that time) warranty. Problem gone.
You can get a used receiver for around $20 via Ebay and change it yourself.
See 2017 No Remote Detected !

Reactions: bentbiker

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem with the key fobs intermittently not working. I asked the dealer to replace the receiver under (at that time) warranty. Problem gone.
You can get a used receiver for around $20 via Ebay and change it yourself.
See 2017 No Remote Detected !
I had the same thing happen to my 2017 Volt. I’ve read that it’s a known issue in the Malibu too. I bought one online for $35 and installed it without tools in about 3 minutes. It’s mounted behind the left side carpeted panel in the cargo compartment. The new ones have been redesigned and have a different model number than the original.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts