GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this on a news site (carcomplaints.com), may be click bait as I have not seen anything else on it:

"General Motors is recalling 16 model year 2015-2016 GMC Canyon and Chevrolet Colorado trucks, and 2016 Chevrolet Volt cars because the driver-side frontal airbags may not deploy properly in a crash.

GM says the airbags have trouble with the second-stage of inflating and deploying, leaving a driver unprotected in a crash.

The automaker expects to recall the 16 vehicles on November 10, 2017, when dealers will begin to replace the frontal airbag modules.

Owners may contact Chevrolet at 800-222-1020 or GMC at 800-462-8782. GM's number for this recall is 17387."

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just checked my 2016 Volt and it says there are no recalls or campaigns associated with it. I'll check again on the 10th.

·
Registered
307 Posts
#17387-01: Safety Recall - Driver Airbag Abnormal Deployment - (Oct 26, 2017)
Subject: 17387–01 — Driver Airbag Abnormal Deployment

Models: 2015–2016 Chevrolet Colorado
2016 Chevrolet Volt
2015–2016 GMC Canyon

Dealers will replace the driver frontal airbag module.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Hm...haven't heard from my dealer, but I have a feeling I'll be making a service appointment soon. Hopefully I never need my airbags, but I'd definitely want them to work if I do.

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
If my car was affected, I'd be proactive in getting it changed or on the waiting list. The replacements can sometime be in short supply, leaving you waiting. A relative waited over 6 months for theirs due to shortages.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's literally 16 vehicles - so it's not very likely any of you will have one of the recalled vehicles.

·
Registered
872 Posts
It's literally 16 vehicles - so it's not very likely any of you will have one of the recalled vehicles.
Like...16 specific VINs? How do they know those 16 cars are affected?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
It's actually 18 vehicles, but who's counting.

·
Registered
872 Posts
That's oddly specific. I had originally interpreted it as being 16 unique model/year/trim combinations, including all 2016 Volts...I guess they somehow determined that there are 16 particular airbag modules that are affected? Seems like an extremely small pool for a recall.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
It appears to have been one small batch of airbags that are bad. It may be only one or two Volts that were affected.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
I'm guessing that this is the best place to plug your VIN in to check:
GM RECALL CENTER
If a recall has been issued for your GM vehicle, including Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn, HUMMER or SAAB, find it here.
https://my.chevrolet.com/recalls

1 - 11 of 11 Posts