16,17 volt
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is for the volt engineer types on this forum

when we have two iphones in the car it gets confused
I climb in, pug my I phone in usb and it goes to carplay -fine
the wife climb in with her iPhone , and unleases the poltergeist
the car starts playing music from one of our phones at low volume
the volume in the car doesn't work , the phones will dial out but no one on the other end can hear us , or us, them
pushing talk or hang up buttons on steering wheel does nothing
turning stereo on or off does nothing
going into setting to the bluetooth we cant tell the difference between the two iphones , becouse all it says is iPhone
when she turns here iPhone completely off ,after a few minutes , every thing starts working in the car again
the lights on the display get brighter
and then see can turn her phone back on and every thing works
hope this helps

course all this is going on when I was trying to buy another volt
maybe the first volt, didn't want the second volt

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
this is for the volt engineer types on this forum

when we have two iphones in the car it gets confused
I climb in, pug my I phone in usb and it goes to carplay -fine
the wife climb in with her iPhone , and unleases the poltergeist
the car starts playing music from one of our phones at low volume
the volume in the car doesn't work , the phones will dial out but no one on the other end can hear us , or us, them
pushing talk or hang up buttons on steering wheel does nothing
turning stereo on or off does nothing
going into setting to the bluetooth we cant tell the difference between the two iphones , becouse all it says is iPhone
when she turns here iPhone completely off ,after a few minutes , every thing starts working in the car again
the lights on the display get brighter
and then see can turn her phone back on and every thing works
hope this helps

course all this is going on when I was trying to buy another volt
maybe the first volt, didn't want the second volt
What happens if your wife just turns off the BT on her phone before getting into the Volt?

·
Registered
16,17 volt
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What happens if your wife just turns off the BT on her phone before getting into the Volt?
hind sight is 20/20
we turned the iPhone off first, that fixed it
now that we know whats going on , next time we will try that , but I feel we shouldn't have to, the car should take care of that it self
I hate, half working software

·
Registered
16,17 volt
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and if your messing with it, car play takes over becouse you plug it in to the usb
maybe you plug it in to just charge it and you want to Bluetooth from the other phone, becouse that's where your music is , no provision for that
at one point I think the car would only connect carplay on one usb jack , now I think it does both

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I think bluetooth and Apple CarPlay don't play nice, and has been much worse with the iOS 11.3 updates. Apple is falling down with its QC. Because of these bugs, in my '17, I do NOT have my iPhone paired via Bluetooth because of issues (not yours specifically, but others involving distorted garbled phone calls and music). So now, when someone comes in the car and their phone is paired with MyLink, I get a message to "switch" from the paired phone to my iPhone after plugging into USB for CarPlay.

Although I haven't experienced your issue, if you always use CarPlay like I do, you can just unpair it from the MyLink Bluetooth and tell your iPhone to "forget" the connection so that the only time it is paired is when you plug in via USB. You still get full functionality of the phone via USB, such as calls etc. Might want to do that as a workaround for right now.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
seem to only go funny when the second phone is introduced

like jcanoe response, have to try that next

·
Registered
16,17 volt
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think bluetooth and Apple CarPlay don't play nice, and has been much worse with the iOS 11.3 updates. Apple is falling down with its QC. Because of these bugs, in my '17, I do NOT have my iPhone paired via Bluetooth because of issues (not yours specifically, but others involving distorted garbled phone calls and music). So now, when someone comes in the car and their phone is paired with MyLink, I get a message to "switch" from the paired phone to my iPhone after plugging into USB for CarPlay.

Although I haven't experienced your issue, if you always use CarPlay like I do, you can just unpair it from the MyLink Bluetooth and tell your iPhone to "forget" the connection so that the only time it is paired is when you plug in via USB. You still get full functionality of the phone via USB, such as calls etc. Might want to do that as a workaround for right now.
i see ios 11.4 deals with some of your issues and maybe some of mine

·
Registered
166 Posts
Do you have unique names for each of your phones, or are they both simply listed as "iPhone"?

This is adjusted in the settings/about menu on your iPhone itself. My wife and I have never had an issue while in the car together. You can also set the Bluetooth connectivity importance within the infotainment settings in the car. I have mine set as priority 1, with hers to priority 2. You should see the unique names of your phones on this list. In this case, the car basically ignores her phone as long as it is connected to mine.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have unique names for each of your phones, or are they both simply listed as "iPhone"?

This is adjusted in the settings/about menu on your iPhone itself. My wife and I have never had an issue while in the car together. You can also set the Bluetooth connectivity importance within the infotainment settings in the car. I have mine set as priority 1, with hers to priority 2. You should see the unique names of your phones on this list. In this case, the car basically ignores her phone as long as it is connected to mine.
Thanks
names on the iPhone will help and already changed
priority I don't think will help , because it ignores both
maybe that's where the conflict is , my phone is plugged into usb and wants to control through carplay
her phone is set on 1 priority for Bluetooth and it want to control because its #1
almost lost the purchase of my volt because of this
way to much stress
then I come here to vent- sorry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts