GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I don't post here often, but I do visit once in a while to get news, tips, etc. Anyway, last week, I was happily cruising with my 2016 volt at about 55 MPH in the carpool lane, when a car cut into my lane at the last minute so they could avoid rear-ending the car in front of them. I did not have time to react, and we ended up colliding. All air bags deployed on the volt, and I could remember "hearing" the crash being very loud and nasty - however I was completely fine, only a bruise on my left arm. I could remember telling myself "my lord, I did not know you could put these many air bags in such a small car". The lady in the other car was fine as well, so thankfully no injuries. Based on the pictures, would this be close to a total loss?

Thanks,

20160426_172655.jpg 20160426_202838.jpg

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Not an insurance adjuster, but as a laymen this is what I see:

Front bumper / crash bar, passenger side headlight and turn signal. That is the stuff on the surface.
Multiple heat exchangers (AC condenser, engine radiator, battery radiator, control electronics radiator) along with the High Voltage battery charger.

Front passenger side wheel and tire, also severe suspension damage.

Other cosmetic damage: Front bumper cover, hood, passenger side fender, passenger side front door, passenger side rocker, and some damage behind rear door... don't see any damage to the rear door itself.

All airbags need to be replaced.

Keith

PS: Glad you and the other person involved were OK.

PPS: Most tragic part is if you have a HOV sticker and the chose to total it!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
My SWAG is totaled. Fourdoor's list probably covers most of it. Likely the whole body isn't straight anymore either. Maybe you'd rather they didn't fix it...

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Best to call that a total, yes.

Figuring labor to install, etc, it will cost $1000 for each air bag, plus more for the crash sensors and airbag controller.

And if the seatbelts set off the tensioners, that will be another $1000 for new belts and tensioners.

Door-$1000, hood-$1000, front bumper clip-$1000, charger-$1000, and if any radiator damage, another $1000

Adjuster estimate will probably be $12000-$18000, depending on frame and suspension damage.

And I wouldn't want the car back myself.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Typically, cars are considered to be “totaled” when the cost to repair the vehicle is higher than the actual cash value (ACV) of the vehicle. Practically speaking, however, it is not always practical to repair a vehicle, even if the cost of repair is less than its ACV. In some cases, Insurance companies will typically consider such a vehicle to be a total loss, even though the repairs are only 75 percent of ACV.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Best to call that a total, yes.

Figuring labor to install, etc, it will cost $1000 for each air bag, plus more for the crash sensors and airbag controller.

And if the seatbelts set off the tensioners, that will be another $1000 for new belts and tensioners.

Door-$1000, hood-$1000, front bumper clip-$1000, charger-$1000, and if any radiator damage, another $1000

Adjuster estimate will probably be $12000-$18000, depending on frame and suspension damage.

And I wouldn't want the car back myself.
You are quoting too much for such items. I have replaced an air bag in my Buick Regal for just $50 and 15 minutes of labor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Any thoughts on how much insurance would pay out if its totaled? I have a 16 and wondered if I should get gap insurance.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Word of advice: GO PEEL YOUR CARPOOL STICKERS OFF ASAP!!!

California is not issuing new stickers, but they will replace stickers and will transfer your stickers to a new car (for the same owner) if this one is a complete loss. They want the remains (pieces, shreds- proof they can't be reused) of whatever you can salvage of the stickers, all 4 of them mailed back with your application for replacement stickers for your replacement (compliant) vehicle.

If you don't get all 4 you will need to account for others missing or stolen which is a PIA. There is paperwork you will need to include from the body shop proving it's a total loss, signed by the owner or manager of the shop.

Here's a link to the instructions and form. Scroll down to FAQ # 16 and # 28: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal

·
Registered
716 Posts
Totaled. The rear door was shoved back far enough to pop off the lower panel near the rear wheel. Looks like a bent/twisted frame.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Word of advice: GO PEEL YOUR CARPOOL STICKERS OFF ASAP!!!

California is not issuing new stickers, but they will replace stickers and will transfer your stickers to a new car (for the same owner) if this one is a complete loss. They want the remains (pieces, shreds- proof they can't be reused) of whatever you can salvage of the stickers, all 4 of them mailed back with your application for replacement stickers for your replacement (compliant) vehicle.

If you don't get all 4 you will need to account for others missing or stolen which is a PIA. There is paperwork you will need to include from the body shop proving it's a total loss, signed by the owner or manager of the shop.

Here's a link to the instructions and form. Scroll down to FAQ # 16 and # 28: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal
Kick ass! I thought he was just screwed on the HOV stickers if the car was totaled, cancel my PPS :)

Keith

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Glad everyone was OK. When the airbags deploy that's not always the case.

Looks like a total loss but I'm not a claims adjuster either.

Didn't know that about the HOV stickers. Cool.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I would guess a total too. That mangled wheel speaks of possible suspension/subframe damage also. I wouldn't want the car back. Entire car would doubtless be repainted too. Didn't they relocate the charger on the gen 2's to be integrated in with the inverter/transmission?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I would guess a total too. That mangled wheel speaks of possible suspension/subframe damage also. I wouldn't want the car back. Entire car would doubtless be repainted too. Didn't they relocate the charger on the gen 2's to be integrated in with the inverter/transmission?
Without checking my memory, I think that the on-board charger in the 2016/2017 is located in the rear where the Bose woofer was located in the gen 1. I imagine that there was realization that the location in front of the passenger's front wheel was too risky a place to use in the gen 2. But, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2013 Diamond White
379 Posts
Glad you and the other party are OK. Good thing cars are a lot safer these days.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Definitely totaled, since shops charge extra to work on hybrids, if they will touch them at all!
(BTW, let me know if insurance lets you buy it back... I will buy it from you for a good profit to you...since I need batteries for my 1985 Griffon.)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Totaled, one where the insurance adjuster wouldn't even have to get out of his car for a detailed look to write it off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys for your answers!

The adjuster came, and he could not determine if it could be repaired, or a total loss. He seemed hesitant to write it off as a total loss since it was a new vehicle. He will have it towed to a repair shop and get total damage and repair costs. I will keep you guys updated as my situation develops, hopefully it helps someone else in the future as well.

So my next question is, the car will now be leaving my garage. Should I remove all stickers? what if they do end up repairing it, how would I put them back? I am thinking even if they repair it, I can submit an application to get new stickers - correct?

Thanks guys,

1 - 20 of 34 Posts