GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1211 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
First off, everyone should send a big thanks to forum user NAMJA for trusting me and sending me his brand new 2016 Volt EVSE so I could open it up, poke around in it, and possibly fry it!

After exhaustive research of the internal components, I came to the conclusion that it will happily and safely handle 240VAC allowing the Volt to charge at L2 speeds. This means ZERO modifications to your EVSE on the inside or out to achieve this. All you need is an adapter to allow the EVSE's 5-15 plug to go from Hot-Neutral-Ground of 120VAC to Hot-Hot-Ground of 200-250VAC, like on a dryer outlet.

Since the EVSE is originally rated for 120VAC on a 15A circuit, it will only advertise 12A down the pilot wire (80% constant load x 15A = 12A). This means you will be doubling your charge rate over the L1 for a maximum of 3kWh. Now, I know the Gen2 can handle 3.6kWh, but the wire gauge wouldn't be safe to much higher amperages and I'm not about to modify the pilot signal to advertise 15A.

More good news, this EVSE is made by Clipper Creek!

EVEN MORE good news for those of you charging at L1 speeds, the NEMA 5-15 plug on this EVSE has a built-in thermal sensor! NO MORE MELTED SOCKETS! At first, I was just going to replace the whole input cord, but that would get rid of that safety feature. Adapting to 5-15 and keeping that thermal sensor is best.

After wiring up an adapter for this EVSE, I plugged it into a 240V outlet and charged my Tesla at 12A for 30 mins or so. Nothing got hot, at all. Clipper Creek does a great job on their EVSEs and it's good to see they've stuck to the larger gauge wire as compared to the thinner/hotter Lear configuration on the 2010, 11, 12, and 15.

Here are the pictures of the EVSE's guts along with some action shots of it charging on 240VAC in my Tesla.

http://imgur.com/a/vFkP5

If anyone would like me to make an adapter for them, let me know.

Make sure your EVSE looks like this!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
What is the PN and cost of the 2016 EVSE right from GM?

Better yet what is the Part number for a 2016 volt sold overseas :)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I thiiiiiink the part number is 23254905. Or it could be 24277224. Those are the things that look like part numbers on this unit.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Fantastic! Resolves one of my pet peeves with the car. I wish I had known this back in November...

I don't think they are selling 2016 Volts outside the U.S. and Canada. If you don't already have a 2016, I bet for the price of the stock charge cord (EVSE) at the dealers parts department you would be better off just buying a Clipper Creek unit already set up with a 240v plug.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Wow. That's freakin' amazing. Looks like all ya do is connect the white (normally neutral) to the other 240v leg through the plug.

So basically, Clipper Creek designed this unit to charge at either 120v or 240v. The thermal link is interesting as well. Smart.

Begs the question of why GM doesn't supply 240v adapters like Tesla does.

So, tell me if this is correct:

Black - 120v/240v hot (leg1)
White - 120v neutral or 240v hot (leg2).
Green - Equipment ground
Red + Orange - Thermal overload protection from the wall plug. Assuming it's a fuse-able link in the plug itself the kills the circuit through Red + Orange which disables the unit. How hard is it to re-enable?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. That's freakin' amazing. Looks like all ya do is connect the white (normally neutral) to the other 240v leg through the plug.

So basically, Clipper Creek designed this unit to charge at either 120v or 240v. The thermal link is interesting as well. Smart.

Begs the question of why GM doesn't supply 240v adapters like Tesla does.

So, tell me if this is correct:

Black - 120v/240v hot (leg1)
White - 120v neutral or 240v hot (leg2).
Green - Equipment ground
Red + Orange - Thermal overload protection from the wall plug. Assuming it's a fuse-able link in the plug itself the kills the circuit through Red + Orange which disables the unit. How hard is it to re-enable?
The power wires you have correct. However, I think the thermal protection is different.
I'm willing to bet the thermal cutoff is like a reed switch. When it gets too hot, it opens up. When it cools down, it closes. This is the same thing that's in the updated 50A adapters on the Tesla UMCs.

And to answer your question about why GM doesn't provide 240V adapters like Tesla, it's because GM's infinite wisdom says Volt owners don't care about charging at L2 at home. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,782 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Great work Chris. So if I ever need to replace my 2013 L1 EVSE I should purchase this 2016 version instead provided the purchase price is acceptable. That would give me both L1 and L2.

By the way my 2013 L1 to L2 EVSE conversion is still working perfectly. Thanks for that one too.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The power wires you have correct. However, I think the thermal protection is different.
I'm willing to bet the thermal cutoff is like a reed switch. When it gets too hot, it opens up. When it cools down, it closes. This is the same thing that's in the updated 50A adapters on the Tesla UMCs.

And to answer your question about why GM doesn't provide 240V adapters like Tesla, it's because GM's infinite wisdom says Volt owners don't care about charging at L2 at home. :rolleyes:
Yep. Reed switch makes sense. Otherwise, back to the dealer for fuse-able link fix.

With EVs other than Volt, I'll bet GM starts thinking 240v as OEM. It's an option on Bolt already. (although not portable). If just over half of Volt owners charge at 120v, this means that just under half go 240v or use gas exclusively.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Here are the pictures of the EVSE's guts along with some action shots of it charging on 240VAC in my Tesla.

http://imgur.com/a/vFkP5

I noticed you were charging at 243V. You must be closer to the electrical source than where I live. I can only get 238V.

Also, I did not see a picture of the adapter. Did you post one of it?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Awesome. This should be a sticky or linked from a FAQ.

I'm wanting to run out and get the parts for my own adapter. But will wait to hear first from others whose adapters don't burst into flames. I am a wuss and DIY with kilowatts scares me. :)

@Chris, can we see photos of yours?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Cool. Thanks Chris for your research.
Can't wait to try it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance. I am playing catchup in understanding the voltage conversions and what is acceptable safe and not. SO there is no readily available adapter that you would trust and this is why you would make your own?

Do you have a picture and approx price of what the adapter would be. Thanks for all of your research this is why I wish there was a button to send a buck or two to those who truly put in the hours to solve a problem.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Indeed, a round of applause for NAMJA for offering up what could have been a sacrificial lamb. And the usual great work on your part, Chris TX. My own EVSE L1/L2 conversion has been working flawlessly these past six months, thanks to your research.

It’s great that Chevy returned to Clipper Creek as a supplier after their relapse in 2015.

Since this Clipper Creek supplied unit is so versatile, it makes me wonder if their own branded L1 units, sold through their website, would also be capable of the same L1/L2 usage.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I am playing catchup in understanding the voltage conversions and what is acceptable safe and not. SO there is no readily available adapter that you would trust and this is why you would make your own?
This is not a voltage conversion.

ChrisTX adapter would be a specialized one. It is not normal to send 240v to 120v device. However, he has found that the device is internally capable of either voltage. By using an adapter that switches the cabling to the wall, he is able to run at 240v which doubles the charge rate. (With an appropriate 240v wall outlet of course.)

I doubt that he would publish the specs on an open forum since it is unusual and with incorrect wiring could smoke the EVSE. Or worse.

/Although if one reads this thread and looks at the linked pics, it's pretty straight-forward for a hobbyist to figure out.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
This is not a voltage conversion.

ChrisTX adapter would be a specialized one. It is not normal to send 240v to 120v device. However, he has found that the device is internally capable of either voltage. By using an adapter that switches the cabling to the wall, he is able to run at 240v which doubles the charge rate. (With an appropriate 240v wall outlet of course.)

I doubt that he would publish the specs on an open forum since it is unusual and with incorrect wiring could smoke the EVSE. Or worse.

/Although if one reads this thread and looks at the linked pics, it's pretty straight-forward for a hobbyist to figure out.
He already did. And I quote "All you need is an adapter to allow the EVSE's 5-15 plug to go from Hot-Neutral-Ground of 120VAC to Hot-Hot-Ground of 200-250VAC, like on a dryer outlet."

1 - 20 of 1211 Posts