GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With talk about more than 1 new vehicle in 2016, I’m wondering if GM is thinking like this…

1. GM does not offer a single “real” hybrid passenger vehicle (while Toyota, Ford, and their other competition offer many hybrids in their vehicle line-ups)

2. The new Honda Accord hybrid – (acknowledged as the most economical midsize hybrid) – is much like the Chevy Volt – large Electric Motor – smaller ICE generator.

Seems like a slighter larger 2016 Volt (with vastly fewer batteries, new software, and an open 3 person backseat), could become GM’s first true midsize hybrid offering.

Personally, I’m hoping they’ll offer a Voltec powered mini-SUV, based upon the new Chevy Trax! – now there’s a winning idea!

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
With talk about more than 1 new vehicle in 2016, I’m wondering if GM is thinking like this…

1. GM does not offer a single “real” hybrid passenger vehicle (while Toyota, Ford, and their other competition offer many hybrids in their vehicle line-ups)

2. The new Honda Accord hybrid – (acknowledged as the most economical midsize hybrid) – is much like the Chevy Volt – large Electric Motor – smaller ICE generator.

Seems like a slighter larger 2016 Volt (with vastly fewer batteries, new software, and an open 3 person backseat), could become GM’s first true midsize hybrid offering.

Personally, I’m hoping they’ll offer a Voltec powered mini-SUV, based upon the new Chevy Trax! – now there’s a winning idea!
this may be a "market space" issue. There is plenty of competition and not much available market space to compete for in the hybrid market. on top of this GM discovered with their "mild" hybrids, that buyers don't really care about efficiency so much as reputation: GM buyers rejected those cars, even though they got 15% better fuel mileage in the same vehicle. GM needed to "break" the mold to find new buyers, they did that with the volt, but even with this great car, (there is no other EREV that I know of that can go 35 miles on 100% electric drive first) buyers are not standing in line. There is no sense in GM trying to "win" prius buyers- they will never feel comfortable driving a GM feel car... Just like "Nikon" owners don't like the feel of the mirror lockup in Canon Cameras, and vice versa, car buyers won't "jump" either...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

For me, for GM to build a true hybrid (of course I personally think their "mild hybrid" is a joke) would be a step backwards. GM should go HOG wild building Voltec design cars and suvs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure I agree with you - have you counted the number of hybrids now available?

The GM "mild" hybrid didn't sell because most buyers intelligent enough to want a hybrid - wanted a real hybrid - not the sad pretend versions that GM tried to fool the public with.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Indeed.. GM's hybrids to date have been horrible. They were NEVER on my radar at any point. Even Honda's tech has become outdated (except for the new Accord). GM has a horrible reputation when it comes to hybrids.

But here's another thing to consider... The car must have appeal. The way to win over buyers to hybrids is to make an appealing car. For example, imagine if they took a car like the Camaro and made it a hybrid. And lets assume that every single one was a hybrid, there was no regular Camaro. Guess what, lots people would still buy it because they want a Camaro. They just aren't willing to pay extra for the hybrid drivetrain. The only reason I can see for NOT doing this is that it increases the cost of the car, and thus people may look to the competition (IE: A Mustang) if they can get one significantly cheaper.

The Volt already has a nice bodystyle. But it lacks in acceleration performance, and of course awareness that it exists.

·
Registered
562 Posts
GM does not offer a single “real” hybrid passenger vehicle (while Toyota, Ford, and their other competition offer many hybrids in their vehicle line-ups)
If you ask me, the volt is the most hybrid car out there. It can operate nearly equally on either power source, from energy source to propulsion. It can be used as mostly an electric car, as mostly a gas car, both, or anywhere inbetween. At the very least, it's a stronger hybrid... some pretty mild things get called hybrids these days.
The Volt already has a nice bodystyle. But it lacks in acceleration performance, and of course awareness that it exists.
I've found the volt's acceleration to be more than adequate... it's no sports car, but that's not necessary either.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Love to see more products with the Voltec powertrain in it. Trax looks interesting as well. I could go for the Voltec powertrain in the trax. I wanted to see it in the equinox or terrain as well - and I believe there is more space for a bigger battery pack in that platform too.

I find the Volt in Sport mode adequate as well.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
this may be a "market space" issue. There is plenty of competition and not much available market space to compete for in the hybrid market. on top of this GM discovered with their "mild" hybrids, that buyers don't really care about efficiency so much as reputation: GM buyers rejected those cars, even though they got 15% better fuel mileage in the same vehicle. GM needed to "break" the mold to find new buyers, they did that with the volt, but even with this great car, (there is no other EREV that I know of that can go 35 miles on 100% electric drive first) buyers are not standing in line. There is no sense in GM trying to "win" prius buyers- they will never feel comfortable driving a GM feel car... Just like "Nikon" owners don't like the feel of the mirror lockup in Canon Cameras, and vice versa, car buyers won't "jump" either...
They rejected inefficient hybrids. Or they rejected hybrids entirely. There was no niche for them. GM should simply keep working on improving the engineering, lowering weight and so on. They can hold compromises back, since there's no point compromising if you're still inefficient, but they just need to keep working to catch up.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You do realize that the Volt transmission with a larger engine and less battery pack would make a perfectly good hybrid. It's lack of business case and market not engineering. After you do an EREV a conventional hybrid is easy in my opinion.

·
4,852 Posts
The new Honda Accord hybrid – (acknowledged as the most economical midsize hybrid) – is much like the Chevy Volt – large Electric Motor – smaller ICE generator.
I am guessing you're talking about the normal hybrid, the plug-in hybrid Accord from Honda is a joke at a whopping $39k and less range than a Volt.

Also, the Honda Accord Hybrid does not have an ICE generator like the Volt. It has an ICE that drives the wheels through a more conventional transmission.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Ever drive a Honda. You may as well have all the windows open because the noise outdoors is indoors on every Honda I've ever driven in. No thanks.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
The General nailed it with the Volt

A car that no one has range anxiety over, and still gets 98e gas mileage. Outstanding, and somehow they made a Chevy comfortable and quiet.

·
Registered
609 Posts
GM does not think outside the box when it comes to EV and hybrids and thus sales are what they are. They keep playing catch up and can't get ahead. May be time to get rid of some old timers managers and designers that can't be taught new tricks. The pics of the upcoming Volt do not impress me unless there is around 50 plus miles or ev range. If not, I will be moving to Tesla or something else in 4 years.

Ian B

·
Registered
13,558 Posts

I fully agree with #1. The voltec drivetrain needs to grow with 2 or 3 electric motor sizes, 2 or 3 battery sizes, and cover the entire GM lineup as options so you can go all EV for an in town commuter, EV with range extender, or all fossil fuel for those who insist on ICE. Then out of all this, they need to make a little sporty two door coupe to compete against all the little Japanese two door coupes.

I'd love to get a solstice with voltec.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For me, for GM to build a true hybrid (of course I personally think their "mild hybrid" is a joke) would be a step backwards. GM should go HOG wild building Voltec design cars and suvs.
It would not be a step backwards - the point you're missing is that a Volt is more or less useless without a 120vac plug - and perhaps half of all the potential customers in the US live in Apartments, Condos, townhouses, etc. where they have no access to a plug. So GM is giving up all that potential business - those folks only choice is a hybrid.

OR let me put it another way...

Toyota offers (5 different hybrids) Prius, Prius C, Prius V, Avalon Hybrid, Highlander Hybrid
Lexus offers (5 different hybrids) Ct hybrid, RX hybrid, ES hybrid, GS hybrid, LS hybrid
Ford offers (2 different hybrids) Fusion Hybrid and C-Max hybrid
Then add hybrids from Honda, Nissan, Kai, and who knows how many other automotive companies
MY POINT = GM is the only Major Automobile Manufacturer that DOES NOT OFFER A SINGLE HYBRID VEHICLE -
(So either they know something that no one else knows - or ???)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Have you tried the Volt in Sport mode? Have you noticed you leave all the other cars in the dust at stop lights? What's that about acceleration? There's too much emphasis on acceleration. The only legitimate use for acceleration is when passing at high speed.

·
Registered
309 Posts
First manufacturer to have a ERV pick up will steal the market. I hate sedans as do a large percentage of Americans. Sorry, can't get a 4x8 sheet of plywood home in a volt. Ford F-series and Chevy Silverados are two of the best selling models. A EV version would be sweet.

·
Registered
153 Posts

I, too, would like to see a small CUV/SUV with the volt package. Especially with all wheel drive.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Toyota has its eye on GM more than people think. Toyota will make a plug in hybrid that will get 50 mpg on reg. gas and perhaps a 50 mile or more range on electric without the gas engine ever kicking in, not like the current Plug In Prius which only get 12 miles on a charge and if you floor it the gas engine will kick in even with a full charge in the battery.

GM will need to expand the Volt into being a true 5 passenger vehicle with a 50 mile pure electric range and a 50 mpg gas engine running
on regular gas. The gas engine will need to be a 3 cylinder direct injection engine which will perform this task more efficiently than the current 1.4 liter 4 cylinder engine in the Volt.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts