GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I could not find any article about 2016 Volt transmission fluid level check and replacement,
It is not written in Owners manual also, although fluid capacity is written Dexron VI 6quarts.

Anybody knows how to check fluid level and replace transmission oil ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
188 Posts
The Gen 1's have no dipstick for this. I would assume you Gen 2 is the same. The transmission fluid should be changed per the manual maintenance schedule. To be safe that is usually at 45,000 miles for the first change.

·
Administrator
20,152 Posts
I think it's a lifetime schedule. As in never needs changing. Definitely not 45k miles, as that would be listed in the maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The manual refers to it as an automatic transmission in the maintenance schedule. Assuming that is our trans-axle. 1st change is at 97.5K miles.

·
Administrator
20,152 Posts
The manual refers to it as an automatic transmission in the maintenance schedule. Assuming that is our trans-axle. 1st change is at 97.5K miles.
I don't see that listed in the maintenance schedule. Maybe you have a newer version? Screen shot?

I checked my Bolt schedule and it's not listed for replacement either.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I don't see that listed in the maintenance schedule. Maybe you have a newer version? Screen shot?

I checked my Bolt schedule and it's not listed for replacement either.
Here is the gen1 maintenance schedule. Shows 45k for the first transmission fluid change. I did it at 55k on my Volt and then realized later that this maintenance schedule says (applied to: severe). I'm definitely would not classify my driving habits nor environment as severe, so I probably changed it prematurely. I don't know what the normal schedule is.

Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 6.44.41 AM.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Change on 97.5k mi is OK, but how to check level ?

There is a plastic fill plug under the hood, but what about drain and check level ?

·
Registered
477 Posts
With the ICE running in NEUTRAL looking for a drip after removal of taped bolt at the level of the axle, some people with long arms can reach it without lifting the car(considering leveling factor)...seems easy DIY.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have a picture of that taped bolt ?
Fluid should be at bolt level as for example in Prius?

Also,
On radiator side, in the front plastic cover of the transaxle/inverter, should be there any fluid in it?

·
Administrator
20,152 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
I wonder if we should use any Dexron VI VALVOLINE or if the OEM GM would be more appropiate...since you will empting partially the ATF, some of the old will be left in the coolant radiator and other pipes, mixing two different ATF fluids ???. OEM is Synthetic AC-DELCO 10-9243 ?.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Hm. I do see it in the 2013 PDF owner's manual at 97,500 miles. However, my 2011 PDF manual does not have that, nor do I see it in the Bolt's or 2017 Volts. Perhaps the PDF versions are simply missing this? That would seem odd.

Anyway, here is the thread that shows how to change the transmission oil:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?86970-Changed-my-Transmission-oil
The 2016 and 2017 Volt PDF Manuals have it. It is called the "electric drive unit" and is on the maintenance schedule for 150K miles.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Every 45k is the "severe schedule." What is the normal schedule? 150k?

Thank you kind sir...you are correct transmission fluid change is due at 150,000 per the 'normal' schedule!:eek:

That is what I get using pdf search function and not really bothering to look at what i posted...my bad!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
It won't hurt to monitor the trans temp while performing the fluid change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Steverino

Thanks but that is on Gen1. I am talking about Gen2.

Yes as my first post says it is written in manual but I wonder if anyone knows how to check level and replace it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ensure vehicle is OFF and in Park (P).

2.Remove transmission fluid filler cap (1).
3.Remove the transmission fluid level hole plug (2).
4.Allow fluid to drain until fluid slowly drips from the plug (approximately 3 drips per second). If no fluid drains, add 0.5 L (0.52 Qts) until fluid drips slowly from plug (approximately 3 drips per second).
5.Reinstall transmission fluid level hole plug.
6.Note: The vehicle hood must be open or engine will NOT start.

Start the vehicle.

7.Note: If driving the vehicle to warm the transmission to specified temperature, add an additional

1.0 L (1.06 Qts) of fluid before driving.

Idle engine in Park (P) until the transmission fluid temperature is 45-55 °C (113-131 °F) . Use scan tool to monitor transmission fluid temperature.

8.Move PRND through Park (P), Neutral (N) and Drive (D) 2 times.
9.Move PRND to Park (P).
10.Remove and DISCARD the transmission fluid level hole plug (2).
11.Allow fluid to drain until fluid slowly drips from the plug (approximately 3 drips per second). If no fluid drains, add 0.5 L (0.52 Qts) until fluid drips slowly from plug (approximately 3 drips per second).
12.Install the NEW transmission fluid level hole plug and tighten to 11 Nm (97 lb in) .
13.Reinstall transmission fluid filler cap.
14.Grand total fluid capacity including the cooler system is approximately 6.75 L (7.13 Qts) .

PROCEED WITH TRANSMISSION FLUID FILL PROCEDURE IN ACCORDANCE WITH ALL HYBRID SAFETY MEASURES.

Fluid Condition Inspection

- Inspect the fluid color. The fluid should be red in color. The fluid may also turn brown form normal use, and does not always indicate contamination.

- Note: Fluid that is very dark or black and has a burnt odor usually indicates contamination or overheating.

If the fluid color is very dark or black and has a burnt odor, inspect the fluid for excessive metal particles or other debris which may indicate transmission damage. Refer to See: Transmission and Drivetrain\Continuously Variable Transmission/Transaxle\Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview Road Test to verify transmission operation. Change the transmission fluid if no other conditions are found.

- Fluid that is cloudy or milky or appears to be contaminated with water indicates engine coolant or water contamination. Refer to See: Transmission and Drivetrain\Continuously Variable Transmission/Transaxle\Testing and Inspection\Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures\Engine Coolant/Water In Transmission Engine Coolant/Water in Transmission
unit.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts