GM Volt Forum banner
101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If you have the time and safe area to work, if you blow a front tire you are better off swapping the spare onto the back axle, and using the good rear tire to replace the blown front tire... takes more time and effort, but it is far safer for driving.

Looking at the pictures I would much rather have a compact spare in the hatch area than a full size tire.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=95346&d=1449460870

VS

http://gm-volt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=96337&d=1450550469

This is an emergency use only item without a TPMS sensor in it, just there to "tide me over" until I can repair / replace the blown tire. All we need is specs on the thread pattern for the threaded rod, and the already posted instructions to do our own "do it yourself" compact spare using ebay parts. I would like someone to confirm the available 225/70/16 spare fits without any rubbing at full lock to lock steering input so we know if it is another viable "do it yourself" option.

Keith

PS: All the factual info in this thread needs to be saved in a FAQ so I can find it again in 6 months or a year when I get a 2017 Volt!
The second attachment is a photo I took with the full-size spare in the hatch of my Volt. It is quite heavy and takes up a large amount of space. It current resides in my garage. However, if I go on extended drives over 100 miles I will secure the spare in the hatch area. Even with the spare in the hatch, there is enough space for small luggage bags for a few nights. I figure I can drive a long distance with the full-size spare that wouldn't be feasible with the compact spare. In my mind, the spare is like insurance, which I hope I don't need to use.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Agreed. That's the alternate method I've worked out via components from McMaster-Carr. It will be safer to have the spare secured using this method than to just strap it down via the cargo hooks (or worse, just let it sit loose in the back.)
Can you confirm that it is M8 1,25?

Keith

·
Administrator
20,884 Posts
Can you confirm that it is M8 1,25?

Keith

You can confirm it yourself if you'd like with an M8 1.25 bolt from HD, Lowes, etc. The threaded hole is attached to the car under the cargo deck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If GM doesn't start selling the bolt and nut, you can probably make your own. The bolt/nut are metric. I'm 95% sure the bolt is a M8-1.25 thread/size. You can't usually find a metric threaded rod at Home Depot/Lowe's, but your local nuts & bolts store should carry (or be able to order) them. Cut the rod to the size you want and add a couple of lock nuts/washers where appropriate to lock it to the vehicle. You should be able to buy a wing-nut and a large washer to clamp the tire down to the rod.
FYI - I've confirmed via fit check that the existing threaded receptacle for the spare hold down is indeed M8x1.25.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You can confirm it yourself if you'd like with an M8 1.25 bolt from HD, Lowes, etc. The threaded hole is attached to the car under the cargo deck.
As stated earlier in this thread, I have a 2011 Volt currently and would not be able to confirm this for 6 months to a year when the 2nd Gen Volt becomes available in the fly over states :)

FYI - I've confirmed via fit check that the existing threaded receptacle for the spare hold down is indeed M8x1.25.
Thanks! Great info to have available for anyone doing a do it yourself E-bay spare tire kit.

Keith

·
Administrator
20,884 Posts
As stated earlier in this thread, I have a 2011 Volt currently and would not be able to confirm this for 6 months to a year when the 2nd Gen Volt becomes available in the fly over states :)Keith
I wrongly assumed you had a 2016. My bad. If I had a 2016, I'd have verified it for you, but alas, as you can see from my sig, I have an early 2011.

Please consider listing your Volt's year and first 5 characters of the VIN in your signature. This helps when posting issues or questions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
:mad:
Now that I have the spare tire kit, still was not prepared enough today. Big bolt went in tire. The spare tire is at home. Wife, who's usually nearby, commuted far away today. No leak at first, but on the way to the tire shop, the bolt fell out -- insta-flat within 15 seconds.

Towed to America's Tire, who patched me up for free, so 2 thumbs up to them.

Definitely ordering a tire plug kit, could have fixed it myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put together my own spare tire kit. Not locked down to the deck ... yet. Costs include shipping.

eBay - 2013 Buick Encore Compact Spare Tire Wheel and Rim 16x4, 5 lug, 105mm - $85.50
Harbor Freight - 1.5 ton Scissor Jack Item #: 66907 - $30.90
eBay - Powerbuilt 3/4" L-Type Lug Wrench - 18" – 641534 - $12.23
Amazon - RV Spare Tire Cover Fit For Trailer / Camper / Motorhome (20"-22" Diameter Cover, Black) - $11.99

Total: $140.62

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Earlier I posted a photo of a full-size spare tire in the trunk of my Volt.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=96337&d=1450550469

I was curious how much luggage would fit in the trunk with the spare tire. So I secured the tire rather quickly and added two roll-a-boards in the trunk. Without too much intrusion above the loin-cloth cover, I think I can easily fit luggage for myself and wife for a week-long trip. There is still room for a computer bag or two with not too much problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Definitely going to get the "donut" spare. And use it on the rear for travel if necessary. (Flat on front tire, rotate rear full sized to front, donut to rear axel).

That full sized rim/tire really does take up a lot of the rear hatch area.

Great thread. Thanks for the tips on alternative spare tire kits :+1:

·
Registered
112 Posts
So I got the spare tire kit delivered today. Haven't installed it yet, but the lug wrench/jack handle combo looks pretty unusable. How are you supposed to raise the car without being able to rotate the handle all the way around?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
So I got the spare tire kit delivered today. Haven't installed it yet, but the lug wrench/jack handle combo looks pretty unusable. How are you supposed to raise the car without being able to rotate the handle all the way around?
Half a turn, bend, half turn, bend, ...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've got ten thumbs but I saw this response coming

·
Registered
112 Posts
Lol....I guess I had that coming. I actually didn't look that closely at it yesterday. I thought it only bent in one direction...which meant removing it from the jack lug and repositioning. But I see now that the handle does bend in both directions. Never mind.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Even though I have four rims, I want to use these as snow tires. In the past, I've put used a snow tire for my summer tires (or vice versa -- can't remember) for my VW Jetta wagon (diesel, aka The Polluter), but handling can get a bit strange. I'd rather save the trunk space and also remind myself that I should be going slower (if I have the donut on instead of a full size spare).

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Since this thread has already been brought back from the dead I will post up that I went with the official Chevy Volt spare tire kit, I did this mainly to get the correct jack. You can use a standard scissor jack, but the Volt jack is slightly different since it is not designed to go over a pinch weld.

Anyway, question for people with the official kit. I got the one small strap to secure the jack assembly, but I got two long straps. The instructions I have, and all instructions I have seen on line only mention one long strap. Did they just accidentally throw in an extra or are there new instructions I am not aware of for using two long straps for securing the tire?

Thanks,

Keith

PS: I am using the "stock" threaded hold down for now, but I am getting a replacement setup to have the rod end under the floor ASAP for better storage when I don't have the spare in the trunk.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Since this thread has already been brought back from the dead I will post up that I went with the official Chevy Volt spare tire kit, I did this mainly to get the correct jack. You can use a standard scissor jack, but the Volt jack is slightly different since it is not designed to go over a pinch weld.

Anyway, question for people with the official kit. I got the one small strap to secure the jack assembly, but I got two long straps. The instructions I have, and all instructions I have seen on line only mention one long strap. Did they just accidentally throw in an extra or are there new instructions I am not aware of for using two long straps for securing the tire?

Thanks,

Keith

PS: I am using the "stock" threaded hold down for now, but I am getting a replacement setup to have the rod end under the floor ASAP for better storage when I don't have the spare in the trunk.
It has been almost 6 months since I installed mine so I may not be remembering correctly, but do the 2 long straps buckle together to make a long adjustable strap?
Also, I use the stock threaded rod for the hold down, but just unscrew it and remove it if I need to remove the spare for room. No need for a 2 piece hold down rod.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I read through this whole thread and did not see this listed. Will the official 84034699 kit fit the 2017 LT? I'm getting my Volt this week, and I don't know if there are any differences from 2016 to 2017 and LT to Premium.

101 - 120 of 125 Posts