GM Volt Forum banner
61 - 80 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
I ordered from GMpartsdirect.com. They, too told me that 84034699 superseded the other part number(s), which I originally ordered.

Total for me was $365.05 which includes shipping. It' supposed to be shipped to me sometime next week. I'll report back to the group when it arrives.
Interesting. I just went to GMPartsDirect.com, and they don't have 84034699 listed. But they do have 23315255 on sale for $279.35 plus shipping.

Am thinking of just buying 23315255 and seeing what happens from there.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Am thinking of just buying 23315255 and seeing what happens from there.
That's what I did and when I saw no movement on my order I called them. Very nice folks there. The order guy told me that the part number was now 84034699. There was an uptick in the price- $279 --> $339 plus shipping, but it was still better than the $172 more Greenrabbit paid. Then shipping. Then installation. Still came to less than Greenrabbit's $502.

Installed, mine looks exactly like dbjoey's pic, except I don't have the cargo mat.

Once I talked to the guy, it took a couple of days for him to get it and then 2 days to get to me.

Now watch- one of us gets a flat and finds out this is the wrong spare....

;-)

I don't think so. I actually went in to the Chevy dealer and talked to the parts guy. He said 84034699 is the part listed for the 2016. He didn't see a price though.

Best,
Rick

·
Administrator
20,857 Posts
Now watch- one of us gets a flat and finds out this is the wrong spare....
I would test the spare prior to needing it in a real flat situation.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have a stock wheel and tire (without TPMS) for the spare tire. Here is how much space it occupies in the trunk. There is about 12 inches to the side of the tire and about 5 inches from the side closest to the trunk latch. The loin cloth cover sits about 6 inches above the tire. The tire weight is 44.8 pounds at 40 psi. The total cost for the wheel, tire and mounting was about $328. I already have a scissor jack (from a Prius) that is under the floor board.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a stock wheel and tire (without TPMS) for the spare tire. Here is how much space it occupies in the trunk. There is about 12 inches to the side of the tire and about 5 inches from the side closest to the trunk latch. The loin cloth cover sits about 6 inches above the tire. The tire weight is 44.8 pounds at 40 psi. The total cost for the wheel, tire and mounting was about $328. I already have a scissor jack (from a Prius) that is under the floor board.
Cool. Where did you get your wheel and tire from?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Cool. Where did you get your wheel and tire from?
The wheel is from a forum member who got the upgraded wheels (also was given the stock tires/wheels), so he had 4 available for sale, and I bought one. The tire came from TireRack and the mounting/balancing was done at a local Pep Boys.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
There was an uptick in the price- $279 --> $339 plus shipping, but it was still better than the $172 more Greenrabbit paid. Then shipping. Then installation. Still came to less than Greenrabbit's $502.
Actually, I bought the original part #23315255 for about $332 (although I ended up paying half that amount because I used the Costco 50% off coupon on it). Some people have been fortunate enough to get the #84034699 kit for the price of the cheaper original kit.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Interesting that so many are interested in carrying a spare in the car despite the (very) limited available space.:eek:

I admit that this would be nice to have, but for me it's too high a 'space cost' to do so for something that should not happen for most drivers (for many years). Did anyone else just put a scissors jack and lug wrench in the car in the 12V battery area (under the rear deck) like me to deal with this concern? Seems like a good compromise is to carry a jack and lug wrench in the car to get the tire off to do a quick repair and place it back on car when done.:cool:

Ninja tip lower flat tire risk: Don't park near the fronts of stores like HD or Lowes (lots of loose screws and nails there) or near dumpsters, or construction sites.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Is it me or are the inflated prices being quoted for this spare kit seem excessive!?:confused:

I didn't spend much more buying a full set (including balance/TPMS replacement + full warranty thru discount tire) of run-flat driveguards for my Gen1...if Gen2 owners are really this insecure not having the 'optional' OEM spare that was never offered from GM for the Gen1...just sayin'!;)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Interesting that so many are interested in carrying a spare in the car despite the (very) limited available space.:eek:

I admit that this would be nice to have, but for me it's too high a 'space cost' to do so for something that should not happen for most drivers (for many years). Did anyone else just put a scissors jack and lug wrench in the car in the 12V battery area (under the rear deck) like me to deal with this concern? Seems like a good compromise is to carry a jack and lug wrench in the car to get the tire off to do a quick repair and place it back on car when done.:cool:

Ninja tip lower flat tire risk: Don't park near the fronts of stores like HD or Lowes (lots of loose screws and nails there) or near dumpsters, or construction sites.
I have a full size spare and the scissor jack and wrench (post #64 above). I do not intend to carry the space tire when driving around the SF Bay Area.I have AAA with 100 mile tolling. However I might carry the spare for longer day trips. I must admit that I have driven a LEAF, without a spare tire, for over 4.5 years and only had a small leak that was repaired at the dealer during annual checkup. I guess the reason I got the spare for the Volt is for carrying on longer trips. There is still enough space for small carry on suitcases so not too concerned with the trunk space.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Is it me or are the inflated prices being quoted for this spare kit seem excessive!?:confused:

I didn't spend much more buying a full set (including balance/TPMS replacement + full warranty thru discount tire) of run-flat driveguards for my Gen1...if Gen2 owners are really this insecure not having the 'optional' OEM spare that was never offered from GM for the Gen1...just sayin'!;)

I do a significant amount of highway driving, and while I haven't had a blowout/sidewall go in a loooong time, once was enough. I really, really don't like giving up the trunk space, but I really, really don't like the idea of having to deal with the goo and pump or flatbed at god knows what hour of the day, weather conditions, location, etc. I am very good at changing flat tires.

As someone else here said, it's really a design flaw that you have to make the choice between trunk room and a spare doughnut.

Best,
Rick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I bought the spare explicitly for road trip use and was planning on storing it in the garage the rest of the time. However, for daily use it turns out that the cargo area still has plenty of room and we find that we just drive with the spare in the car all the time now. We haven't had any issues with fitting groceries or Costco runs.

As far as the price goes, I have to agree that it's crazy expensive for an item that most likely will not get used. I'm pretty sure I would not have bought it without the Costco coupon knocking the price down. Most likely I'd look for compatible alternatives like other people are doing. And the new tire kit price is totally unjustifiable...$170 increase over the original price just for an extra piece of styrofoam! For $500, I'm almost certain that I would just buy a full size tire rather than a donut. At least I'd get some use out of that by rotating it with the other 4 wheels.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I bought the spare explicitly for road trip use and was planning on storing it in the garage the rest of the time. However, for daily use it turns out that the cargo area still has plenty of room and we find that we just drive with the spare in the car all the time now. We haven't had any issues with fitting groceries or Costco runs.

As far as the price goes, I have to agree that it's crazy expensive for an item that most likely will not get used. I'm pretty sure I would not have bought it without the Costco coupon knocking the price down. Most likely I'd look for compatible alternatives like other people are doing. And the new tire kit price is totally unjustifiable...$170 increase over the original price just for an extra piece of styrofoam! For $500, I'm almost certain that I would just buy a full size tire rather than a donut. At least I'd get some use out of that by rotating it with the other 4 wheels.
Like linkim, I got a spare premier rim to have some piece of mind. I got the rim from a fellow forum member for $175 then bought an energy saver tire for $94, so if I can dig up a scissors jack and wrench at a junk yard $20 that will fit under the cargo area then I'll have a full spare with jack for around $300. I also asked Santa for an small emergency kit and small tool bag that I'll store in the tire.

I really wanted a full size spare with premier rim for the situation where I might damage the rim by jumping or scraping a curb. My wife has been known to scratch a rim or two. And I also wanted it for long trips where I'm far from home. Nothing is worse then driving around on an emergency tire until the tire shop can order the right tire because they don't have it in stock. This way if I get a flat, then I just swap the tire and I can replace on my own schedule.

As Linkim showed in post #64, the full size tire does take up most of the cargo area but I'll most likely only use it for longer trips but who know maybe I'll lug it around for a month and see if it is that bad. I can see my self putting the dog food on top of it when I go to Costco and work around it with groceries. Maybe I'll build a custom shelf on top of the tire with a border to keep stuff from falling off, who knows. I just prefer the peace of mind.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Like linkim, I got a spare premier rim to have some piece of mind. I got the rim from a fellow forum member for $175 then bought an energy saver tire for $94, so if I can dig up a scissors jack and wrench at a junk yard $20 that will fit under the cargo area then I'll have a full spare with jack for around $300. I also asked Santa for an small emergency kit and small tool bag that I'll store in the tire.
I saw that posting when he offered the premier rims. If only I was living on the west coast...I would have bought one in a heartbeat. Alas, I had to settle for a donut. I had the Costco 50% off coupon to use anyway, so total cost for me ended up around $332/2 + $14 (Costco mounting) =$180. Definitely worth it for the extra piece of mind. I suspect that after I was done finding a compatible donut tire, jack, mounting straps, etc, I would have ended up spending a similar amount. Besides, buying the "official" spare got me a nice vinyl tire cover with a Volt logo... made the wife *much* happier that she didn't have to stare at a bare tire in the trunk everyday. Can't even put a price on that :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
I saw that posting when he offered the premier rims. If only I was living on the west coast...I would have bought one in a heartbeat. Alas, I had to settle for a donut. I had the Costco 50% off coupon to use anyway, so total cost for me ended up around $332/2 + $14 (Costco mounting) =$180. Definitely worth it for the extra piece of mind. I suspect that after I was done finding a compatible donut tire, jack, mounting straps, etc, I would have ended up spending a similar amount. Besides, buying the "official" spare got me a nice vinyl tire cover with a Volt logo... made the wife *much* happier that she didn't have to stare at a bare tire in the trunk everyday. Can't even put a price on that :)
I know what you mean about the look of the bare spare in back, so I'm looking at a black tire cover for about $15 on Amazon. I also don't like the look or the smell of the new rubber. The smell is a little overwhelming from the new rubber tire toxins burning off in the cabin is a bit much, so its in the garage until I get the jack sorted out. I'll probably throw it in a plastic bag before going in the tire cover to keep the rubber smell down. I will also be on the hunt for some volt stickers to get a similar look to the official spare bag. I better get on it though cause I have a long trip coming up between Xmas and new year.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
OK, happy to report my 2011-2015 Chevy Cruze Spare experiment worked. Bought the whole kit (tire+wheel+jack+tools) for $100 shipped off eBay. Attached are the pictures.

This thread may also be of note:http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/161-interior-tutorials/9312-how-install-gm-specd-spare-tire-eco-mt-trunk.html. It lists the individual GM part numbers that make up the kit.
Glad the experiment was a success (and thanks for the photos)! Were you able to verify that the bolt pattern is identical and that the lug nuts seat properly in the wheel at all five lugs? Also, do you plan to secure the spare using a strap through the cargo hooks? I'm weighing your option seriously but would like to use the threaded rod securement like the one that comes with the factory kit. The cargo floor already has a pre-punched pass through for the rod (and a threaded receptacle below the floor, but I haven't confirmed this). Another concern would be excessive rubber smell in the cabin but that appears to be one of several sacrifices GM wants us to make if we want a spare on board. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can confirm the wheel fits. It's the same wheel markings as the pictures of the authentic kit in post #26: 4.00BTX16H2, and the same tire size: T115/70R16. I've attached a picture of it.

The threaded rod and the hole in the trunk floor are part of what you supposedly need to "dealer-install" in the Volt-customized kit -- see the PDF that's been posted in other posts. Other than that, ratcheting straps and a garbage bag are worth the $$$ in savings.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,857 Posts
I can confirm the wheel fits. It's the same wheel markings as the pictures of the authentic kit in post #26: 4.00BTX16H2, and the same tire size: T115/70R16. I've attached a picture of it.

The threaded rod and the hole in the trunk floor are part of what you supposedly need to "dealer-install" in the Volt-customized kit -- see the PDF that's been posted in other posts. Other than that, ratcheting straps and a garbage bag are worth the $$$ in savings.
Thanks for posting! Regarding the threaded rod attachment, anyone comfortable with a tape measure and drill can install it. No need to pay a dealer mechanic to drill a hole in the cargo deck when you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Thanks, bsd43. Based on early posts, I was concerned that Gen II had a slightly different bolt pattern but it makes much more sense that GM would maintain commonality with other models. Your Cruze spare tire investigation has proved it.

61 - 80 of 125 Posts