GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in getting a spare tire for my Volt so I called my local Chevy dealer to get a price. The parts guy tried looking it up on their computer and found two part numbers:

84034699 - $502
23315255 - $330

Now, the second number is the one that I've seen posted on this forum, but I had no idea what the more expensive one was. The parts guy said he couldn't tell what the difference was based on the limited description in their system. He told me that he would contact their GM supplier and find out which one was correct. I got the call back in a few days and was told that the $502 kit was the correct one for my 2016! That was a big surprise for me. Does anybody know what the difference is between the two kits?

Oh, the parts guy also said that it was going to require installation, but they didn't have any instructions so I couldn't gauge how difficult it is and whether or not I could do it myself. Does anybody know hope difficult the installation is?

·
Registered
5 Posts
i'm curious about the installation , i found a Cruze spare in a junkyard (40$) , a scissor jack at my local Canadian Tire ( special price at 12$) and the tool to lousse the nuts at 20$ ... for now , the spare is in the trunk , for that reason i'm curious about the installation ..

·
Registered
18 Posts
I talked to a dealership on the phone that had the 23315255 part in stock. They were nice enough to open the box and confirm that it included the tire and jack and I believe the cover as well as instructions. I called my local dealership to order it and they were surprised to see that the 23315255 part was now superseded by the 84034699. They confirmed that it was the price greenrabbit listed above. From what they could tell, it contained the same parts - but again even they have no pictures to look at (which is ridiculous - thanks GM).
Anyway, the 23315255 kit was still in stock at whatever GM warehouse keeps them so I ordered it. Hopefully it will be in by next week. I'll try and post the instructions once I have them. I'm not sure I want to bother mounting it to begin with. I am curious to see what size tire they used - I'm assuming a 16", but hoping for a 17" :)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
When I donated my 2002 Prius to charity, I kept the jack. It works with the Volt. It is compact and fits in the vacant spaces under the trunk floorboard. Both the scissor jack and handle fit nicely. I put a wrench for the removal of the tire nuts in the compartment with the EVSE. Now all I need is a spare tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Volt Spare Tire Kit Instructions and Picture...

View attachment 2016_Volt_SpareTireKit_Inst.pdf

I picked up the spare tire kit from the dealership today. They had ordered the 23315255 part, but there was a delay in the shipment. When they called to check on the delay they had chevy send it overnight, but the part that arrived was the 84034699 part. They only billed the dealership for the amount of the original part number order ($330ish).
I've attempted to attach a pdf of the instructions to this post. I'll try to get a picture attached as well. The tire was not mounted to the wheel which I didn't realize until I got home. The cover with the Volt logo is black, I was expecting gray based on the only picture I've seen of this. I'm not sure what the difference between part numbers is - maybe the cover is gray in the other?
Hope this helps someone considering the kit.

20151124_152103.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
No, I think it fits on top. (hence the tire cover) Thanks darby78 for the info! I'm thinking of getting that for when I take the car on long trips.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a flat tire on my Focus Electric, used the included spray goo with compressor and Ford had the audacity to try to make me pay for the ruined TPS sensor in the tire. Needless to say, the spray didn't work anyway, and the vehicle had to be towed to the Dealership. Of course they didn't even have the tire in stock. All that hassle for a simple flat tire! Still amazed that the trend to not include spare tires is growing. This option is a must have for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up the spare tire kit from the dealership today. They had ordered the 23315255 part, but there was a delay in the shipment. When they called to check on the delay they had chevy send it overnight, but the part that arrived was the 84034699 part. They only billed the dealership for the amount of the original part number order ($330ish).
I've attempted to attach a pdf of the instructions to this post. I'll try to get a picture attached as well. The tire was not mounted to the wheel which I didn't realize until I got home. The cover with the Volt logo is black, I was expecting gray based on the only picture I've seen of this. I'm not sure what the difference between part numbers is - maybe the cover is gray in the other?
Hope this helps someone considering the kit.
I guess the instructions explain what the adhesion promoter (GM #12378462) is meant to do. I ordered the 23315255 part last week and was expecting to pick it up from the dealer this week. Now I'm wondering which part number I'm going to get. I was going to post pictures when I got it, but you beat me to it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
greenrabbit,
If you get the 23315255 part, please post what it looks like and includes. I'm curious if there's any difference (other than price). Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does anyone know if the 2016 Volt's TPMS dash display is able to track a fifth TPMS mounted in the spare tire rim (23315255 part?). I see that the kit has an overlay sticker tor the manufacturer placard. Thank you

Kevin

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Does anyone know if the 2016 Volt's TPMS dash display is able to track a fifth TPMS mounted in the spare tire rim (23315255 part?). I see that the kit has an overlay sticker tor the manufacturer placard. Thank you

Kevin
I stopped at a local Wheel Works shop to ask about installation of a full size spare for my 2016 Volt. I have the tire and wheel, same as the stock parts, but was asking about the TPMS. He said that I shouldn't install a TPMS because the Volt cannot recognize the 5th tire if I am carrying it. Also if I only use the 5th tire as a temporary tire then he didn't think it necessary to have the tire sensor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
greenrabbit,
If you get the 23315255 part, please post what it looks like and includes. I'm curious if there's any difference (other than price). Thanks!
Finally picked up my spare tire kit (gm#23315255). I'm attaching a couple of photos of the parts. The first photo is after opening the box. The second photo shows the contents of the "parts bag" included. I'll attach a scan of the installation instructions also. They are almost illegible because they printed 4 pages to a sheet. (The page numbers are found in the lower right of each page. English instructions are sheets "1-of-15" through "5-of-15"). The text is only slightly different from the #84034699 instructions posted by darby78. The diagrams are pretty much identical and I would highly recommend people also download the #84034699 manual because that one is actually readable!

The package contents listing shows a "wipe package" and a "solvent package" that was not in the box, but I suspect that's some sort of alcohol pad for cleaning in step #7 of the instructions. Hopefully not a big deal.

As far as the installation procedure goes, the instructions for the two kits are pretty similar. The new kit seems to require some minor "cutting/shaping" of styrofoam. The main difference between the original #23315255 kit and the new #84034699 kit appears to be an extra styrofoam block that is placed inside the tire for extra support during storage. I suspect that this foam block was added to the new kit just to prevent the jack from bouncing around inside the box during shipping and damaging the wheel rim. The kit I got just had a loose jack! So far, nothing I see can justifty the huge $170 price increase between the kits.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,326 Posts
Thanks! Seems odd that the tire was not mounted and balanced for the price.

·
Registered
18 Posts
greenrabbit-

Thanks for posting the pics. I agree it looks like the styrofoam block is the main difference. The jack was shipped inside the styrofoam block in mine Doubt I'll use it anyway, so glad I didn't have to pay the mark up for it. Looks like the same black cover with the Volt logo.

Steverino-

I thought it was odd, too. Maybe something to do with hazardous shipping if its mounted with pressure? I paid Sears $16 to mount it. I probably would have given the business to Chevy if they'd told me it came that way, but I imagine Sears is cheaper unless you convince Chevy to mount it for free.

Thanks for the sticky you made on spare tire options. Feel free to add the pdf manual to it (or should I post it on the thread?).

·
Administrator
20,326 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Many thanks to those of you who've posted photos of the tire kit. I'm sure many of us would prefer to have the spare donut as standard equipment, properly stowed under the cargo floor for such occasions. However, there is a growing trend among all automakers to eliminate the added cost and weight of the spare and pass along the inconvenience of a flat tire to the consumer. There is justification for this since recent data shows that less than 20% of US drivers actually know how to change a tire. In simple cases, the inflator kit will get you up and running but with more severe damage, you're at the mercy of roadside assistance depending on where you're stranded. If you're nowhere near a metropolitan area, chances are slim that you'll get a suitable replacement tire and you could be forced to wait with your car for a day or more until the proper tire arrives at the truck stop. There are plenty of stories of flat tire episodes that would normally have been just a 10 minute spare tire swap but instead became a $500 or more expense due to overnight stays, alternate transportation, and no-choice pricing on the replacement tire that could be fedex'd to your unfortunate location.

So, while we may not be able to change the trend away from onboard spares, it's wise to seriously consider a spare tire kit for long trips away from home. It all depends on what your (or your family's) threshold is for inconvenience and delays driving our high-tech vehicles on long trips.

The Volt's spare tire kit may be inconvenient to stow, but it's good insurance for long distance travelers and will likely more than pay for itself at first use.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Many thanks to those of you who've posted photos of the tire kit. I'm sure many of us would prefer to have the spare donut as standard equipment, properly stowed under the cargo floor for such occasions. However, there is a growing trend among all automakers to eliminate the added cost and weight of the spare and pass along the inconvenience of a flat tire to the consumer. There is justification for this since recent data shows that less than 20% of US drivers actually know how to change a tire. In simple cases, the inflator kit will get you up and running but with more severe damage, you're at the mercy of roadside assistance depending on where you're stranded. If you're nowhere near a metropolitan area, chances are slim that you'll get a suitable replacement tire and you could be forced to wait with your car for a day or more until the proper tire arrives at the truck stop. There are plenty of stories of flat tire episodes that would normally have been just a 10 minute spare tire swap but instead became a $500 or more expense due to overnight stays, alternate transportation, and no-choice pricing on the replacement tire that could be fedex'd to your unfortunate location.

So, while we may not be able to change the trend away from onboard spares, it's wise to seriously consider a spare tire kit for long trips away from home. It all depends on what your (or your family's) threshold is for inconvenience and delays driving our high-tech vehicles on long trips.

The Volt's spare tire kit may be inconvenient to stow, but it's good insurance for long distance travelers and will likely more than pay for itself at first use.
Agreed on all counts. I am planning on taking a short road trip this month, but I don't know if I can get the spare kit in time. Might have to drive my other (ICE) car for the trip, which is too bad, because the Volt is such a smoother drive, especially for long distance. But after I had my Volt's stock Michelin tire that popped like a water balloon a few weeks ago, in which the tire was not fixable and needed a tow to a tire shop, I am not going to drive out of the area without a spare.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can someone with the kit, please take some high resolution pictures showing the wheel size stampings, in addition to the tire size? I'm thinking of skipping the dealer, and maybe asking Tire Rack to just ship me a tire+wheel without the additional gear. Thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Can someone with the kit, please take some high resolution pictures showing the wheel size stampings, in addition to the tire size? I'm thinking of skipping the dealer, and maybe asking Tire Rack to just ship me a tire+wheel without the additional gear. Thanks.
Good call. +1 on this; I'd like to know as well.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts