GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 had the shift to park shutdown problem that was getting progressively worse and the dealer in Florida installed the diode harness as per the TSB and it was covered by the Voltec warranty. This was 2019

Recently ( May/22) the problem has come back and the dealer in Toronto installed a new shifter, which now includes the diode harness. The new shifter is no longer covered for my Volt under the Voltec warranty( per updated TSB ) but it was covered under my extended warranty.

One week later in noticed that the shifter would not always shift into L. Hard stop at D. Mostly noticed it when going from D to L. Took it back to the dealer and the technician said this was noticed on new shifters and it would take time to work itself in. I would say 10% of the time it would not go into L, and it felt “different”. Perhaps they new part has been redesigned?

I will monitor it for the next month to see if this goes away, and if it doesn’t they will install a new one.

Not sure if anyone else had this problem.

·
Registered
972 Posts
It should have been covered under the Voltec warranty. The exception for 2016 models no longer applies. Search the forum, the updated TSB was posted a while back.

I also had the STP issue "fixed" a while back (probably around 2019) with a new harness. After that it worked for a while before gradually throwing more and more STPs, so I took it back and they repeated the procedure. But this time it included a new switch, not just the harness. (The TSB was updated to include installing a new switch sometime between the first fix an the second, and they followed the TSB both times.) So far it's worked without a problem.

I suspect that either your dealer in Toronto doesn't know his elbow from his gluteus, or he's committed insurance fraud. The Voltec warranty applies, and the standard fix (which seems to work, which I deduce from the lack of complaints on this forum) is what is specified in the TSB - which is to replace the switch only, NOT the whole shifter. I suspect the dealer got paid more by your extended warranty to replace the shifter than GM would have paid to replace the switch, so... that's what they did.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier, 2016 Volt LT
106 Posts
The shifter is most likely misaligned. My 2017 got a new shifter and wouldn't go to L. I took it back, they fiddled with it and it's fine now. A little stiffer than before, but there's no reason it shouldn't go to L if installed correctly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts