GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:
From time to time (several times a week) I get a message saying Service Parking Brake. It is accompanied by the wrench symbol and the parking brake will not engage. Turning the car off then on restores the brake and gets rid of the message. It seems to be triggered by hard acceleration.

I took it to the dealer for the Android Auto update and asked them to look into it. They didn't find and error codes. Anyone else?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had the same problem on my gen 1. Dealer solved it by replacing an electronic module that controls the parking brake. The warning was intermittent like yours for a while and then stayed on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I chickened out. I'm afraid pulling the 12V may cause more problems. (loss of oil change data, user settings, ICE tuning)

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Next time you have the icons go to the nearest dealer and have the codes read while you wait in the service writer's bay.
Don't let them make it a big deal.
You only want the code (s) number.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Answering my own question...

When it happened again ("Service Parking Brake") I press the Onstar button and asked if they could see a code. Previously they saw nothing, now they report code C1587. I gave the dealer the code. They have ordered a park module for me under warranty.:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pardon if this is a duplicate, browser issues.

Fixed after 5 visits to the dealer. They replaced the parking module and a caliper... no change. In the end they found a wire under the hood that was worn from rubbing. All is good now.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Pardon if this is a duplicate, browser issues.

Fixed after 5 visits to the dealer. They replaced the parking module and a caliper... no change. In the end they found a wire under the hood that was worn from rubbing. All is good now.
If you dont mind, can you please take a picture pointing out where the cable used to rub. It might helpful to the forum members and help us avoid 5 trips to dealer. :)

B

·
0 Posts
Another vote for some indication of where this rubbing cable might be located, I have an inoperative parking brake and I need to get it working for the annual vehicle inspection we have here in the UK. I might have the same problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I, too, had this issue and have had it in 5 times since taking delivery of my 2017 premier. Very frustrating. They found nothing 2 of the times, once they re-seated the connectors, once they said it was software update, and finally this last time they said they found a loose terminal -- Sheesh.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Taking my 2017 Premier with ACC in for the third time today. Hopefully they can fix this.

Anyone else have any luck getting this problem resolved?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have had it happen several times. My solution was to engage the parking brake every week or two as I do not engage it in my normal day to day driving. It is really flat here :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had it happen several times. My solution was to engage the parking brake every week or two as I do not engage it in my normal day to day driving. It is really flat here :)
Worked!!! Can't believe that is all I needed to do. Should be a sticky since a lot of people don't engage the parking brake often.

Thanks Keith!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I know, I used to live there. :p Here I use the parking brake all the time because nothing is flat here, even the "flat" ground is on an angle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've noticed mine comes on every couple months. I just cycle it a couple times the next time I park the car and it goes away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had similar problem on my 2011 Volt where the parking light accompanying with the wrench stay on the whole time in the last few weeks. I finally found the cut power wire by the parkbrake module. To access this I had to remove left rear wheel + wheel well plastic cover. The module is above the muffler. Repaired and all fixed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts