GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Volt. When we first drive it after it is sitting for a while in the driveway it makes a scraping noise like it is dragging a stick for about a quarter mile or less, then it stops making that noise. If you drive it later that same day you don’t hear it again but you will again just for a short time when first driven later again after the car has sat at least overnight or not driven for a few days. Any ideas? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
661 Posts
Have you gotten under the car? This happened to me but it was metallic. I ran over a large concrete drill bit and it speared one of the pans under the car and stuck there like a dart in a dart board.

·
Administrator
22,537 Posts
Brakes?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Rust on the rotors maybe? Especially if you hear the noise when applying the brakes.

·
Administrator
22,537 Posts
Have a friend walk alongside the car as you slowly drive. Maybe they can pinpoint the noise location.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I suspect brakes too since they are not used very much at all with regen but will have one of us alongside to hear exactly where it is coming from.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Is this a continuous noise or just a brief sound at about 20 KPH (12 MPH)? The latter would be the GM ABS system self check. The former???

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A continuous noise that lasts about a minute and then stops which is why I’m beginning to think it probably frozen or rust on the rotors. It goes away at that point and doesn’t come back again until the car sits for a while undriven.

·
Registered
318 Posts
rust on the rotors.
It would be visible on the rotors if it was going to make sounds. Do a quick visual before the next time you drive it. You can also pop it into neutral and apply the brakes to make sure the friction brakes are used instead of regen to check the noise during the first minute or two.

-Charlie

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It would be visible on the rotors if it was going to make sounds. Do a quick visual before the next time you drive it. You can also pop it into neutral and apply the brakes to make sure the friction brakes are used instead of regen to check the noise during the first minute or two.

-Charlie
Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts