GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone, I just joined this forum. Bought my 2016 White Volt Premier in Jan 2016. I've owned a lot of vehicles from various manufacturers over 35 years, and this vehicle rivals the best. The "cult like" following by owners of the Gen 1 model, coupled with all the improvements in the Gen 2 and the positive reviews from the auto world, intrigued me enough to research, test drive and buy a Volt. The State and Federal rebates made the choice that much easier. At the time, there were very few Volts coming to CA and they were selling immediately.

I've been extremely happy with my Volt in every way. Short trips are a breeze. There are Charge Point stations all around my area, mostly free, so parking and free electricity is plus. I've gone 4 months between fill-ups. Longer trips make the Volt so easy to take with the combined 420 mile gas/electric range.

So, I have just over 35k on it and have one car too many and am considering selling it. I posted it on Craigslist and Nextdoor, and have had a couple of inquiries, not yet from someone who really knows about the Volt World. I've listed it at the Kelley BB recommended price of $24900. I've never hesitated selling a car like I am doing so with my Volt. If I decide to keep it, I think I'll keep it forever. If someone offers to buy it who appreciates it, and offers a fair price, I may sell it.

What I'd like to hear is comments from Gen 1 and even Gen 2 owners, who have high miles and more years than I do under their belt and get your take on keeping a Volt for the long term.

Oh, and if you are interested in buying, I'd certainly be glad to discuss.

thx,
Adam

·
Registered
514 Posts
You don't say where you are, but a KBB of $25K for a '16 with 35K on it seems really high. I bought a '17 with the $1K optional paint and ACC which your car doesn't have 6 months ago with 22,000 miles on it from a dealer for that same price - Window sticker is $41.5K. So, if someone offers you what you're asking and you really want to sell it, I'd jump on the $24,900 for sure

Don

·
Registered
68 Posts
Unlikley you’ll get that amount out of your car, but if you do congrats!! I’d recommend keeping it, unless you need the money. Previously, owning Gen 1’s I can say they were extremely reliable. I recently purchased a new 18’ due to it having ACC and great price. I cannot speak to the Gen2 long- term. I plan on keeping mine though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response Don and for your service. I'm in CA. Since KBB has it at that price, that's where I'm starting and will start lowering it if I don't get a lot of action. I'm not at all desperate to sell, but for the right price and the right buyer I will. I'm assuming yours is a Premier. What was optional paint and ACC? Also, since you bought it from the dealer, what info did you have on the vehicle and the previous owner(s)? Just curious.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, yeah I realize I probably won't hit the KBB mark and will have to come down. I'm coming to realize niche vehicles like Volts become a bit difficult to sell. I'm not desperate at all and can certainly keep it. You're the second person to mention ACC, didn't know what it was so I had to look it up. Adaptive Cruise Control, got it. It's a neat feature and would be nice but not critical for me. What year was your Gen 1 and how many miles did you put on it? Seeing how many people go from a Gen 1 to a Gen 2 certainly is a positive sign for commitment to the vehicle.

·
Registered
514 Posts
What was optional paint and ACC?
The Iridescent Pearl Tricoat paint is a $995 option. ACC is Adaptive Cruise Control which wasn't available until mid-year '17. It's a $595 option on top of DC1 ($495) and DC2 ($495)

Don

·
Registered
323 Posts
What you do with your VOLT really depends on what kind of cars you are planning to keep. If you liked the VOLT so much, I hazard to guess why you would want to get rid of it.
You don't say anything about the other cars so we can't compare but you are right. Once you get in the VOLT club, it is pretty hard to get rid of a car that rides as nice as it does, doesn't use hardly any gas, has a great stereo/info system, and isn't that bad in seating comfort.
If you are more than two people in the family, then yeah, maybe. The volt is better a two seater since the back seats suit kids better than adults. Don't even bring up the 5th seat, GM tried to pull a fast on on that, DIDN"T WORK!
The batteries have been lasting 100k, 200, one car going 300k now. For the most part there have been few problems with electronics. You have a decent ride that lets you thum your nose to the gas stations as you drive by, LAUGHING!!!

I'm pretty sure you'll make the right decision to fit your needs. Enjoy the expensive gas prices if you go that way....
I prefer to thumb my nose to the gas stations as I pass em by....

Run

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the thoughts Run. My other cars are a 2018 Toyota Tacoma and a 2003 Honda Pilot. I've had fantastic luck with Toyotas and Hondas. I've got 325k on the Pilot, original engine and trans, only scheduled maintenance, never had an issue. So, my main concern is cost if something goes wrong and is not covered under the warranties. The fact that only two mechanics at my Chevy dealer can work on the Volt is a bit concerning. I priced an extended warranty at $3500 for an additional 5 year/50k but since Voltec goes to 100k and powertrain to 60, don't know if it's worth it.

It's only my wife and I and a teenage son who has his own car (Mazda RX8) so we are fine room wise.

Agree with everything you said about why you like the Volt. I love the car too, it's just one car too many and I don't like things sitting and losing value.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
In terms of value, selling your '16 just a few years after purchase is one of the worst times. Used car values stabilize over time, but within those first few years you get a big depreciation hit. Obviously, if you get 25K you'll be doing OK, but I don't know what you paid for it. My Premier was about 27K after tax credits, so if I got 25K for it a few years later I would consider that driving for free.

If you have a Carmax in your area, they'll usually do a free "offer" to buy your vehicle. I've found them to be hit-or-miss. One time they gave my friend a great price, but they gave me a TERRIBLE price for my Volt.

·
Registered
514 Posts
In terms of value, selling your '16 just a few years after purchase is one of the worst times.
I agree. If you feel you need to get rid of a vehicle, especially because you're worried it might break down, the Pilot with 325K on it would seem the obvious choice

Don

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I agree. If you feel you need to get rid of a vehicle, especially because you're worried it might break down, the Pilot with 325K on it would seem the obvious choice

Don
Agree. Because the Volt is a complex car, although it does have a very strong traction battery/ drivetrain warranty, we did get a seven-year 70,000 mile warranty when we bought our volts.

Who knows whether will ever use that, we’re not past the three-year bumper-to-bumpers on our 16s yet.

So far both of ours have been completely trouble free, so it may be that we wasted our money on the warranty, but who knows.

I certainly understand the concern that only certain people can work on this car — fortunately where we are in No VA we have a number of Chevy dealers that work on volts.

Personally I think the Volt has a lot going for it in terms of its long range reliability and maintenance costs as primarily an EV.

The other thing I’ll say about this is that when we buy new cars we always get the extended warranty, because we do want to keep the car for at least seven, 10 or more years, and we have for our previous vehicles.

So whether the warranty is actually money well spent or not I don’t know, but our decision to get the extended warranty here was not unique to the volt at all.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Thanks, yeah I realize I probably won't hit the KBB mark and will have to come down. I'm coming to realize niche vehicles like Volts become a bit difficult to sell. I'm not desperate at all and can certainly keep it.
FWIW, there's a 2016 pearl tricoat with 23k miles for sale 50 miles from me offered at $20,730. You got more miles than that, so based on this ONE TINY SAMPLE, ~$17k is probably the most I would hope for in a private sale, and it would PROBABLY need to be $15k to sell quickly. That's a LONG way from $24900...

And, as far as I can tell, they sell pretty easy. IF YOU CAN GET SOMEONE TO DRIVE IT for 20 minutes starting with a good amount of charge, while competently answering their questions.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I leased a 2012 for three years before buying the 2014. My experience with the 2012 was only good, even though I had a couple of warranty repairs with it. I wanted to own my own so that I could do cross-country trips without fear of exceeding the lease mileage limit. I'm so glad that I did!

I have slightly over 80,000 miles on my 2014 which I purchased new from a dealer in 2015 (exactly a year from when they took possession of the car). As you can see, I put a lot of miles on the car. I plan to keep the Volt until I match Sparkie at 450,000 miles, or if it ever needs major repair exceeding the value of the car. At my current rate of mileage accumulation, this is going to be my last car. It is a never-ending source of pleasure to me, so, even though I can afford a new car, I see no reason to get rid of my current ride.
Around town I am almost completely on battery, getting anywhere from 3.5 to 5.5 miles per kilo-Watt. I find the Volt to be an excellent road car. I average 41.5 mpg when on my trips. . Oil changes every 18 to 24 months. New tires every 50,000 miles or so. New wiper blades every three years. All other items per the maintenance schedule, though with so many miles at highway speeds for hours on end, I find it prudent to replace the transmission oil every 50,000 miles. I like that it is a low-maintenance car.

I don't think that you could go wrong with keeping your Volt.

·
Registered
323 Posts
" In terms of value, selling your '16 just a few years after purchase is one of the worst times."

I have to agree. I found out I got a bad deal on mine, I was taken for a ride by the dealer, so If I tried to sell my 2017 Prem, I'd lose money and it will be upside down for at least another year.
If you own your car, you most likely won't get what you think it is worth. If you check the auto prices, the VOLT is valued rather low I thought I think it ties in with how different a vehicle it is and the high cost of parts for replacement. Warrentee is always a concern and I would normally NOT get an extended warrentee but in the case of the volt, I think it is worth it.
Still, did you say you have 235k miles on one car and 35k on the VOLT? The 235k suggests the car is near the end of its life. It is running on borrowed time. As you say you have your reasons and I believe you have already made the decision of what you want to do. good luck which ever way you go.

Run

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Peter, not even close to that low of a price in my area central California, I've been offered $21,000 by two different dealers (KBB instant offer program, I have already sold one vehicle through it). Over the many years of owning many vehicles and trucks of various makes, I find that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. The Pearl 2016 you're referring to, first question, LT or Premier, second question, condition, damage, history etc.

The electric and hybrid market is an interesting one, especially the Volt world. It's truly a niche market, very few people really know about the car and I agree, once you drive one, as I did, you wonder why they are not more popular.

I've decided to keep mine, get the extended warranty, and drive it forever.

Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated! :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Cali market must be very different then. A year ago I paid less than that for my used 2017 at the Chevy dealer, when the 2017's were still on the lot! Around here (FL), no one would pay close to that for a 2016.

Mike

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just sold my 2017 LT with 28k mi to my mom for $18,700 which was less than I could have got for it 'on the street' in San Diego Co. My car had leather, heated seats, and Bose and stickered for $35, but I got it for $32 plus $9000 in incentives.. Another guy who had the cheapest non-salvage title gen-2 2016 w similar mileage on the Craigslist here sold his for 19 and some change. He said the response was strong at that price the only hang-up being he didn't have the title in hand.

A premier trim should get a small premium, but not much, everybody knows about the tax credit. I have found buying the lower trim levels results in less depreciation. After a few years, people are buying on mileage and individual options. That said, when the 16's and 17's come off lease, gen2 volts will probably have about 18 months of crappy resale. You never know. gas is still way over $3/gal here and people are really interested in these cars- even used.

my mom is retired and didn't need the tax credit as much as she just liked the car. I told her I might get a new one and she said she wanted my 17... totally unsolicited- I let her drive it one week at the beginning of the year when she was stuck without a car. these cars sell themselves if you can get a person to test drive one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just sold my 2017 LT with 28k mi to my mom for $18,700 which was less than I could have got for it 'on the street' in San Diego Co. My car had leather, heated seats, and Bose and stickered for $35, but I got it for $32 plus $9000 in incentives.. Another guy who had the cheapest non-salvage title gen-2 2016 w similar mileage on the Craigslist here sold his for 19 and some change. He said the response was strong at that price the only hang-up being he didn't have the title in hand.

A premier trim should get a small premium, but not much, everybody knows about the tax credit. I have found buying the lower trim levels results in less depreciation. After a few years, people are buying on mileage and individual options. That said, when the 16's and 17's come off lease, gen2 volts will probably have about 18 months of crappy resale. You never know. gas is still way over $3/gal here and people are really interested in these cars- even used.

my mom is retired and didn't need the tax credit as much as she just liked the car. I told her I might get a new one and she said she wanted my 17... totally unsolicited- I let her drive it one week at the beginning of the year when she was stuck without a car. these cars sell themselves if you can get a person to test drive one.
That's so funny Mike, my brothers and sisters and I surprised my mom at least 10 years ago and bought her a Civic Hybrid for her birthday (it was either the first or second year they came out with the Hybrid). She's driven in my Volt and loved it and kidded around that maybe I'd sell it to her. Maybe I will......but I'd get my siblings to chip in and do what we did over a decade ago, give it to her :)

I agree, the cars should sell themselves. Consumers are so unpredictable. Volts have so much pluses and so few minuses.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd get rid of your Toyota or Honda first. That extended warranty, while it might seem steep, would be nearly entirely covered by the gas savings -- let alone brakes and assorted other maintenance. Modern Toyotas and Hondas are not what their name builds them up to be -- they are not greatly more reliable than their counterparts. Speaking of extended warranty costs -- shop around to the various Chevy dealers around the nation/online and you might find much cheaper.

RE: Your sale -- readjust expectations greatly. New 2018 Premiers with destination, DC1 and DC2 are ~$39,500 -8500 dealer discount rebates - $7500 in tax credit = $23,500 new. Not everyone will get those discounts/tax credits, some will get more in the form of state credits--but still -- there are plenty of people who can get a new car. Meanwhile yours is a first year car and we are probably a week or two for the 2019s hitting the lots with some further upgrades. Leases are even cheaper.

Doing a quick search, I see dealers with similar cars to yours For $20k sitting on the lots (listing is from July 7th). IE not sold for that price or any offers near it in two months.

The market for the Volt is soft. People who are for the environment will buy the new Leaf or a Tesla or any of the other pure BEV options. With gas prices where they are, SUVs are still the big market. The Volt is then the market for people who drive ~50 miles a day or ~100 with the ability to charge and still need to take long trips where a BEV becomes a hassle. Then sort out those that won't buy the Prius Prime or Ioniq PHEV...

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=39190&id=39615&id=39752&id=39768

So basically -- unless you are ready to sell for $17k-19k -- you probably are better off just driving it and either shopping around for a warranty for peace of mind or just hoping you've had the luck most here have had.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts