GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently for the first time on my ‘16, which now has about 18,000 miles, I have heard slight creaking type noises when I let up off of the accelerator in L. It is not the normal sound I’m used to for the L regeneration. I’ve never heard this before. It almost sounds like a slight creaking that I’ve heard before with mechanical friction brakes when manipulating the brake pedal from time to time. Has anyone had any experience with this, or heard it on their own cars before? It is not a major issue so far, it’s just odd that I’ve never heard it before, and I was just wondering if anyone else has run into this.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just experienced the front bearing issue which some call the buzzsaw issue - I first noticed it as I let my foot off the gas pedal (I drive in "L") and it grew progressively worse. Mine is a 2013 so I don't know if 2016s have this issue - thankfully covered under voltec warranty.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Maybe you can get it on video? The Volt makes some oddball noises sometimes but I can't say I've ever heard a creak on regen. Is it a momentary thing like might be caused by a squeaky accelerator pedal or even a suspension part loading/unloading as the car starts to decelerate?

Mike

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe you can get it on video? The Volt makes some oddball noises sometimes but I can't say I've ever heard a creak on regen. Is it a momentary thing like might be caused by a squeaky accelerator pedal or even a suspension part loading/unloading as the car starts to decelerate?

Mike
Maybe. I’ll try to capture it and upload. It sounds like it is coming from the accelerator pedal area or close to it almost between the pedal and driver’s seat. Not causing any operational problem but it’s just strange.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It may be a suspension part but it absolutely happens when manipulating the accelerator in L so wondering if it is the transmission. Car (16) has about 20 thousand miles. Seems related to regen. Really doesn’t happen in D, probably because regen is much milder there. I will load a video of the noise today.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the video. Sounds like creaking or tapping sounds from underneath. Happens most when in L mode, but also occasionally in D too either beginning or ending acceleration, which I believe has to do with the regen, but I could be wrong. Seems to be getting louder lately. If the volt was not so quiet I probably wouldn’t even have noticed this, but it is definitely a new noise that didn’t exist before. It’s kind of driving me nuts. The car is a 16 with about 20,000 miles but is still under the bumper to bumper and has an extended warranty for seven years anyway so I’m not really worried about the financial aspect of it I just hope it is not having a problem.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0yX2YqoTSjLIlASWB1wFJSwFQ#Falls_Church_&_Arlington

·
Registered
294 Posts
Here is the video. Sounds like creaking or tapping sounds from underneath. Happens most when in L mode, but also occasionally in D too either beginning or ending acceleration, which I believe has to do with the regen, but I could be wrong. Seems to be getting louder lately. If the volt was not so quiet I probably wouldn’t even have noticed this, but it is definitely a new noise that didn’t exist before. It’s kind of driving me nuts. The car is a 16 with about 20,000 miles but is still under the bumper to bumper and has an extended warranty for seven years anyway so I’m not really worried about the financial aspect of it I just hope it is not having a problem.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0yX2YqoTSjLIlASWB1wFJSwFQ#Falls_Church_&_Arlington

I saw your video, I can hear your voice but can't hear any noise that you are talking about. Can you pinpoint the time in the video, like 00:00:15, where you heard it?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw your video, I can hear your voice but can't hear any noise that you are talking about. Can you pinpoint the time in the video, like 00:00:15, where you heard it?
Here are a few other attempts to capture the creaking tapping sound

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0I8KAYt5-u85QPAh7IhMUHlFg#Falls_Church_&_Arlington

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0aczKMSOMZwrBrK5-0kpn59DA#Falls_Church_&_Arlington

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ZmmYo_tDSOoFn11VuiXw2jng#Falls_Church_&_Arlington

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I think I have that to some degree too. Am 56,500 electric miles and am suspecting that this is related to the regen mechanism.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I have that to some degree too. Am 56,500 electric miles and am suspecting that this is related to the regen mechanism.
Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s related to regen, because when I have it in D it hardly happens at all. It is directly related to my manipulation of the pedal ; it almost sounds like there’s some kind of physical connection between the pedal and whatever mechanism is running the regen in the transmission, and I’m wondering if there is something in that which needs lubrication in there or what.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Recently for the first time on my ‘16, which now has about 18,000 miles, I have heard slight creaking type noises when I let up off of the accelerator in L. It is not the normal sound I’m used to for the L regeneration. I’ve never heard this before. It almost sounds like a slight creaking that I’ve heard before with mechanical friction brakes when manipulating the brake pedal from time to time. Has anyone had any experience with this, or heard it on their own cars before? It is not a major issue so far, it’s just odd that I’ve never heard it before, and I was just wondering if anyone else has run into this.

Thanks

Have you pinpointed the problem yet? I have something similar to your issue on my '16 as well.

I find that the sound is more pronounced (ie. louder) when the car is in L, and you also use the regen paddle on the steering wheel.

I can reproduce the issue by:
1. Put car in L, drive to the speed limit on residential road. Use the regen paddle to slow down until it is just inching forward, then use brake pedal to come to a complete stop.
2. Now, slowly apply pressure to the accelerator pedal so you move forward normally. If you pedal-to-the-metal, the creak will happen really fast. So accelerate as if you're in a school zone.
3. Sound does not happen while driving no matter how bumpy or uneven the road.

I cannot pinpoint the problem. When I accelerate looking straight ahead, the creak sounds like it's coming from the hatch area. However, if I accelerate while looking to the right (ie. my right ear is facing the rear of the car), the creak sounds like it's coming from just behind me under the floor. Originally, as per some of the posts on "creak" I thought it was the driver seat creaking, but my seat seems to be very secure and no amount of push/pulling it reproduces this sound.

Recently, the weather has gotten warmer and I have driven through the drive-thru of a fast food restaurant with the windows down. I can hear the creak sound from outside reflecting off the building wall. So it is definitely something external creaking.

As a side note, this sound only started happening when I got bumped from behind from a women that wasn't paying attention at a stop light and rolled into me. Her license plate screws dug into my bumper and left two indents, so I had to get the entire bumper replaced.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you pinpointed the problem yet? I have something similar to your issue on my '16 as well.

I find that the sound is more pronounced (ie. louder) when the car is in L, and you also use the regen paddle on the steering wheel.

I can reproduce the issue by:
1. Put car in L, drive to the speed limit on residential road. Use the regen paddle to slow down until it is just inching forward, then use brake pedal to come to a complete stop.
2. Now, slowly apply pressure to the accelerator pedal so you move forward normally. If you pedal-to-the-metal, the creak will happen really fast. So accelerate as if you're in a school zone.
3. Sound does not happen while driving no matter how bumpy or uneven the road.

I cannot pinpoint the problem. When I accelerate looking straight ahead, the creak sounds like it's coming from the hatch area. However, if I accelerate while looking to the right (ie. my right ear is facing the rear of the car), the creak sounds like it's coming from just behind me under the floor. Originally, as per some of the posts on "creak" I thought it was the driver seat creaking, but my seat seems to be very secure and no amount of push/pulling it reproduces this sound.

Recently, the weather has gotten warmer and I have driven through the drive-thru of a fast food restaurant with the windows down. I can hear the creak sound from outside reflecting off the building wall. So it is definitely something external creaking.

As a side note, this sound only started happening when I got bumped from behind from a women that wasn't paying attention at a stop light and rolled into me. Her license plate screws dug into my bumper and left two indents, so I had to get the entire bumper replaced.
Same symptoms that I had. Ultimately, they decided it was the axle and replaced my front axle under warranty. This is the same kind of thing that was happening to some of the Gen 1s but I don’t know how common it is for the gen 2s. My suspicion is that this is caused by the amount of force that the strong regeneration puts on the axle over time. I don’t know whether they checked the torquing of the front axle nuts, and some people have said that that’s all that it takes to stop the noise. I specifically mentioned that to them; presumably they would’ve checked that before they replaced the axle, but that’s what happened.

·
Registered
250 Posts
So your issue was the front axle? I've been reading that it's the rear axle. lol. Anyway, my bumper to bumper warrant has expired so would either axles be covered under the powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So your issue was the front axle? I've been reading that it's the rear axle. lol. Anyway, my bumper to bumper warrant has expired so would either axles be covered under the powertrain warranty?
It was the front axle. I think it should be covered as part of the power train 5 year warranty, Although I had mine done several months before the three-year expired. Again, you should ask them to check the nuts first because if that’s the case it’s not a big deal at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 volt with 41000km. I have been hearing this sound for about 8 months. I have brought the vehicle to the dealership multiple times, with no luck as to the cause. Is there a service bulletin for this issue? What lead to the dealership to replace the axel?
The dealership has washed there hands of this ...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I couldn't open the posted media files, so I can't be sure what symptom we're talking about here. On my 2016 Volt, it sounded like a creaking spring compressing or decompressing whenever I would start from a stop, or coming to a stop. The sounds seemed to be coming from the rear end. Well my car is currently at the dealership and they said they had diagnosed it to be some axle bushing which had to be replace on both sides of the rear and is covered under warranty. I'm also having the shifter replaced under warranty for the "Please shift into Park" issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts